Home button on my S5 and Google Now

ksonntag

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem and it's beyond annoying. It started today, a few days after installing the latest updates. I have an S5 with AT&T.

huntsie

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I just tried double clicking the home button and it seems to take me back to my home screen and skipping google. Even if this continues to work, it's still not acceptable that Google has hijacked my home button.

Erica Fletcher

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Turn Now cards on or offOpen the Google Settings app*.Touch*Search & Now > Now cardsTurn "Show cards" on.Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.

Note:*If you skip turning on the Google Account settings that make Google Now work best, you might be prompted to turn them on later. For example, if you try to say "Ok Google," you'll be prompted to turn on the Voice & Audio Activity setting.

Damon Oribello

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
"Turn Now cards on or offOpen the Google Settings app*.Touch*Search & Now > Now cardsTurn "Show cards" on.Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the setup."

FYI, this didn't work. Only a restart of the device is a temporary fix. I am sure there is an additional update that needs to be done somewhere, either through an APP or the phone's software.

susan tiss

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. Restarting the phone didn't fix it for long. So, I went to the Play Store, found the Google Now App and uninstalled it. Because it is a system app, it doesn't really uninstall the app, but it did uninstall the latest update to the app and that seems to have fixed the issue. I can still get Google Now with a long-press of the home key, but the short press is now back to functioning like it should (taking me to the actual home screen on my phone). Perhaps Google will let us know when they fix the issue so that we can update Google Now again.

HeatherMC13

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I just got my phone a week ago, I updated it the next day and suddenly a few days ago this started happening to me. It has been driving me insane, since it was new, I thought I did some sort of setting. Restarting now in hopes of my home key working.

Trevor Rester

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, just read the forum looking for answers of why my S5 was being annoying with my home button as well, I don't think AT&T will be taking this feature away for obvious reasons. AT&T just isn't the telecom company that I thought it was 2 years ago. I see they've slowly been declining in service, yet raising their prices in the process. No Lollipop? My gf (Verizon S5 owner) has had 4.4.4 since she got her S5, and that was around Nov14. I'm sorry to say this, but it seems that AT&T won't be getting better. Verizon had the jump on AT&T for a while now. Thinking of rooting?? :/

Brad Sale

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah uninstalling/stopping the updates for the Google app from the Play Store did the trick.for me...it was wrecking the experience for me. At least so far I ought to say...thanks susan tiss

josha94

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Figured it out!! Go to your apps page, (not apps store) find the Google app,(white "g" in a blue box) select and hold it, then drag it to disable at the top of your screen. Fixed mine, hope this helps everyone! :)

Catron5

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
My phone automatically updated after repeated ignoring notification to do so. Now with a short tap it goes to the Google search. Sometimes I have to press it 4 or 5 times :( Seems that. That doesn't work always either & I have to hit the back button to get to home screen. Extremely frustrating. Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon!

karatikis

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
"Figured it out!! Go to your apps page, (not apps store) find the Google app,(white "g" in a blue box) select and hold it, then drag it to disable at the top of your screen. Fixed mine, hope this helps everyone! "

Thanks Josha94! That did the trick for me, too. :cool:

Again, go to "Application Manager" (under "Applications" in "Settings"), swipe over to "All", scroll down to the "Google" app (as Josha94 said...white "g" in a blue box"), click on it and then choose "Turn off."

Of course, this is for those who just don't care to use it. I already have google as my main search engine in all my browsers...and now they want my home button, too. Sheesh.

T

Tamloo

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Joining in on the band wagon. I can not stand this. Unacceptable.... and the problem is I actually like using Google Now... just not every time I press my home button.

Steven Fricke

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
"Figured it out!! Go to your apps page, (not apps store) find the Google app,(white "g" in a blue box) select and hold it, then drag it to disable at the top of your screen. Fixed mine, hope this helps everyone! "

Unfortunately this was a very bad idea for me. I have Mercury Browser installed, so instead of asking me if I wanted to complete with Google or Mercury, it simply loaded Mercury with no way out. I had to turn Google back on. However, turning Google off and back on again seems to have cleared the problem... At least temporarily.

Has anyone tried a different launcher like "dodol", "Cheetah" or "Hola"? I am curious if this happens with them or just "TouchWiz"

bigmacfrys

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah so I ran through this last night, uninstalled Google and it seemed to resolve the issue. Now the home button has ceased to work at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE