Home button on my S5 and Google Now

davemo63

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
It really is amazing...designers try to get so tricky and develop all these different functions. The home button should do ONE THING! Go HOME

Mark Jabaley

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
"Figured it out!! Go to your apps page, (not apps store) find the Google app,(white "g" in a blue box) select and hold it, then drag it to disable at the top of your screen. Fixed mine, hope this helps everyone! "

Thanks Josha94! That did the trick for me, too. :cool:

Again, go to "Application Manager" (under "Applications" in "Settings"), swipe over to "All", scroll down to the "Google" app (as Josha94 said...white "g" in a blue box"), click on it and then choose "Turn off."

Of course, this is for those who just don't care to use it. I already have google as my main search engine in all my browsers...and now they want my home button, too. Sheesh.

T

Mark Jabaley

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I turned google app off and it did solve the problem (hijacked home button) however voice to text turned off too. Is there a fix for the hijacked home button that doesnt also remove voice to text?

halaj

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I've been having this issue along with service issues like texts that don't come through (I received 42 all at once that I hadn't received over about a week) and dropped calls even when I had 5 bars of 4G; it even dropped a 911 call when I had a car accident last week. After that I couldn't take it anymore and went straight to AT&T with every intention of buying an iPhone. I LOATHE Apple, but my husband's iPhone has never had issues like this. Anyway, at AT&T they confirmed that it was the 4.4.4 update and replaced my phone with a brand new S5 that is also running 4.4.4. There were some hiccups in the first couple of hours, but now it's running smoothly with no issues whatsoever. Texts have sent and received without delay, all my calls have gone through, and I have not seen the Google Now screen A SINGLE TIME since it was replaced. Seriously annoying to have to go through all that trouble, but 100% worth it to avoid an iPhone and have my beloved S5 back.

Tom Sayles

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
This "feature" that took over my home button is making my phone unusable. How do I disable it!!!!!
This is the first thing that Google has ever done to really **** me off.

IMHO, The engineers responsible should be taken out and publicly flogged.

FaintDeftone

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously considering ditching my S5 because of this. It is the most obnoxious thing in the world. I may grab a Nexus 6 if they don't fix this **** soon.

3lli

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I've found that restarting your phone works, but only temporarily, as previously mentioned. This fix is fine if you're not busy, but I've had this happen in the middle of class when I'm looking at the teacher's notes via my S5. It's hard to restart your phone in the middle of class when you're trying to pay attention! And I've even tried disabling the Google app, and all it does is take me to a blank Google screen. I enabled it again so that at least when this problem occurs, I have something to look at. Looking forward to a solution!

Steve Willinger

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
This worked for me! Thank you karatikis

Originally Posted by karatikis View Post
"Figured it out!! Go to your apps page, (not apps store) find the Google app,(white "g" in a blue box) select and hold it, then drag it to disable at the top of your screen. Fixed mine, hope this helps everyone! "

Thanks Josha94! That did the trick for me, too.

Again, go to "Application Manager" (under "Applications" in "Settings"), swipe over to "All", scroll down to the "Google" app (as Josha94 said...white "g" in a blue box"), click on it and then choose "Turn off."

Of course, this is for those who just don't care to use it. I already have google as my main search engine in all my browsers...and now they want my home button, too. Sheesh.

Trevie Scott

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
S5 (active) I join you all the same thing it makes me so angry! At times I just want to chuck my phone into a wall!! And once I get out of Google now it's opens up voice activate... and then I fuss with thAt it would be nice to have a new update that deletes Google now all togother! Because even deactivating Google now does not solve the issue! You guys are not the only ones!

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Go to settings, then go to Accessibility, & then dexterity and interaction, then click the Interaction control button set it to ON.

Alot of us have the same thing in common, we are pressing the home key 3 times or more in an attempt to get back to our home screens. This section in settings clearly states that pressing the home key 3 times enables and disables this feature. I have no idea if it is related or not, what I do know is that as of right now I'm able to press my home key again & although it takes half a second, it IS finally going straight to my home page again from every app or Web browser. Good luck guys, hope this helps!

Out of all the suggestions in this thread, this solution has hands down been the most effective. The worst that's happened is a few instances where I hit the home button and nothing happens, but 90% of the time it goes to the home screen within 2 seconds. It's still doesn't solve the issue but it's been the least rage-inducing fix for it I've found.

shauste

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
After reading lots of posts and trying some of the suggested fixes without much luck, I decided to go to the AT&T store and speak with a representative there. He suggested I got to Best Buy and speak with a Samsung representative. The Samsung representative attached my phone to her computer and apparently they have fixes to glitches. Anyway, after seeming exactly what update I have, she was able to download a fix onto my phone and,thus far, it seems to have fixed my issue. Try it! It just might work and it's free...just a trip to Best Buy (or perhaps, any Samsung representative).

ofsthun01

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Following, as well. AT&T S5. Everyone is getting the little bit of haptic feedback when pressing the home button and it stays where it is, right? Sometimes I have to hit the home button 3 or 4 times for it to respond.

silvan0

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
For the people who's home button is not working after after un installing the Google and S voice.

Okay, deleted the apps last night and the Google voice no longer comes up, thank the lord! Then I realized today that my home button wouldn't work, I had to press the back button to get out of apps. I stumbled upon this setting while looking for an answer in my settings.

Go to settings, then go to Accessibility, & then dexterity and interaction, then click the Interaction control button set it to ON.

Alot of us have the same thing in common, we are pressing the home key 3 times or more in an attempt to get back to our home screens. This section in settings clearly states that pressing the home key 3 times enables and disables this feature. I have no idea if it is related or not, what I do know is that as of right now I'm able to press my home key again & although it takes half a second, it IS finally going straight to my home page again from every app or Web browser. Good luck guys, hope this helps!

This worked for me! Yay!!!! Thank you! Been dealing with this for months on Galaxy S5

Posted via the Android Central App

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine is completely random as to whether it goes to Google or not. I've tried pulling the battery a few times. That seemed to work for a while, but then it just starts back up. Plus the lag now is horrible. Just another reason Ive really come to hate this phone.

ccb2183

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I went to settings>application manager >all> Google search. Turned off the Google search from there and it fixed the home button issue. You just won't be able to use Google search which is inconvenient, but I can totally live with that as long as it's not popping up every time I hit the home button

black_thorne

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I went to settings>application manager >all> Google search. Turned off the Google search from there and it fixed the home button issue. You just won't be able to use Google search which is inconvenient, but I can totally live with that as long as it's not popping up every time I hit the home button

Well, I did this which got rid of the Google search. However, when I push the home button now it doesn't do anything. It just sits there for until I hit it about 10 times. Then it will freeze between screens, then go to the home screen. Very annoying. This phone is gonna find a new home in the trash soon.

vtaylor09

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
This worked wonderfully for me!
For the people who's home button is not working after after un installing the Google and S voice.

Okay, deleted the apps last night and the Google voice no longer comes up, thank the lord! Then I realized today that my home button wouldn't work, I had to press the back button to get out of apps. I stumbled upon this setting while looking for an answer in my settings.

cakewalkk

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Interaction control, plus choosing to Uninstall updates to google search AND then disabling automatic app updates via the play store worked perfectly for me. (Disabling google search isn't a solution as the home key just stops working).
I'm at 1 week and counting for a perfectly functioning home key :-D. (although seriously, the fact I'm celebrating my home key working is pretty lame; thanks at&t).

catobsessed

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site

Inspired by above, this worked for me: Settings>Accessibility>Dexterity and interaction>Press and hold delay>Long (1.5 seconds)