Is my S5 completely done for?

jake14001

May 18, 2014
Visit site
So a while back my phone took about a 5 foot fall and landed in the middle of my shower. When it fell the backplate popped off and water got in. Since I'm an ***** I didn't let it dry and now it turns on but acts up. The rear speaker emits constant static whenever the phone is on (including when there are headphones plugged in) and app that uses audio crashes and freezes the phone. Though most other apps like messaging or Instagram work. Is there anything I can do at all?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A while ago? If it lasts until April, regardless of what you do (other than replacing everything but the frame), I'd be surprised.

Small trick - if the phone might get wet, even a "water resistant" phone, put it into a ziplock bag, zip it shut, put that zipper-end first into a second bag and zip that shut. I dropped a phone protected like that (and a large fishing float) over the side in about 100 feet of ocean. Picked it up with a net, hosed off the outer bag and didn't open it until the bag was dry. (The phone still works, about 8 years later.) You can use the phone through 2 bags. About the only thing you can't do is connect to the charging or earphone jack. (Smaller trick - I keep my spare battery in the inner bag - you can swap batteries through the bags.)

AZgl:
Water doesn't damage the phone, the impurities in it do. And vacuuming it still leaves all the corrosion and shorts, and all the chemical salts that bonded to the parts.
every time the humidity gets above 0 [which is all the time] the chemicals continue to destroy the phone. That's why just putting a wet phone into a bag of rice is a good way to destroy it.)

Detectionable

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Could try cleaning the insides of the phone with isopropyl alcohol, so long as the water didn't short anything out / fry it

Isopropyl alcohol
Universal electronic cleaning solvent
Evaporates after use
For use on tape heads, disc drives, PCBs and other instruments and delicate components