I'm a complete noob to android. I've had an S5 for almost 2 weeks now. I did the upgrade which came out just a couple days after I got it and as far as I'm concerned this device isn't too good. I like the flexibility of the OS which is why I got it. I've had an Apple for several years and finally talked our IT into letting me get an android phone. My question is, are this phone's issues due to lollipop or are they inherent? I hated the iPhone but at this point I'm about ready to switch back. The phone lags terribly, had a few lockups, battery life has been poor since day 1. Am I destined to be disappointed? The thought of a return to Apple is nauseating but perhaps that's where I'm heading. If the issues are OS related what's the guess on fixes? My wife's S3 seems much faster, less problematic, and the battery will actually last all day. I also have the option of a Windows phone (eye roll) . Verizon will give me 30 days to switch so I need to make a move soon. Someone please talk me out of going back to an Apple.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-12-2015 10:59 AM
    Have you tried a factory reset after the update?
    02-12-2015 11:21 AM
    Being a new phone I agree with Spook suggestion. Do a factory reset. Backup first the few things you managed to keep in your phone.

If the problem persist it means that it's a phone problem. Replace it for another one. A brand new S5 shouldn't behave like that.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    02-12-2015 11:30 AM
    Seriously Ive had the galaxy s5 since the day it released at 8:45 am. Its a great phone hands down and im coming from iphone also. Itz the OS I haven't upgraded ever and a year is approaching. search the internet and the forums and trust there going to roll out an update fast to fix the update. Lollipop was a major overhaul. They know its not perfect im sure they will fix it. U got your phone wth this 5.0 mess installed already bummer. Any other users dont be so fast to update anything apps facebook google what ever read the comments the first invention is always flawed. And always has to be reinvented to be efficient.

Gray Area likes this.
    02-12-2015 11:56 AM
    I'm a complete noob to android. I've had an S5 for almost 2 weeks now. I did the upgrade which came out just a couple days after I got it and as far as I'm concerned this device isn't too good. I like the flexibility of the OS which is why I got it. I've had an Apple for several years and finally talked our IT into letting me get an android phone. My question is, are this phone's issues due to lollipop or are they inherent? I hated the iPhone but at this point I'm about ready to switch back. The phone lags terribly, had a few lockups, battery life has been poor since day 1. Am I destined to be disappointed? The thought of a return to Apple is nauseating but perhaps that's where I'm heading. If the issues are OS related what's the guess on fixes? My wife's S3 seems much faster, less problematic, and the battery will actually last all day. I also have the option of a Windows phone (eye roll) . Verizon will give me 30 days to switch so I need to make a move soon. Someone please talk me out of going back to an Apple.

The problems you're having with the phone are issues due to lollipop, especially with Verizon. I have T-Mobile so I haven't got the lollipop update yet and I love this phone. For example I've been at work for 7 hours so far so my phones been off of the charger for 8 ish hours and I'm still at 75% battery and I've never had a lag problem.
    02-12-2015 02:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Just for the record I did the update. It poped up like 3 days after I got it. Sort of not like me I generally avoid early major updates but like I said I have never messed with android OS before. Lesson learned. I was off my charger for about 4 hours today, 1 on airplane mode and was down to 28% with only moderate use. No games or anything like that. Then I had a 2 hour flight with no use on airplane mode. I turned APM off when i landed and it was at 6% then died a few minutes later. I'll look into the factory reset procedure. Will that wipe the OS to what it was?

02-12-2015 08:30 PM
    Your problems are common to Lollipoop. Things were pretty good on kit kat.
    02-13-2015 01:44 AM
    A factory reset won't wipe the OS, just the data and the apps. You can downgrade it, but you need to be sure you know what your doing. There's a program called "Odin" that can flash a ROM onto an S5 even if it's earlier than the one on the handset. If your going to do it I would say do a lot of research, be very sure you have the correct ROM for your handset, and be careful where you download Odin from. Loads of downloads I've come across have had malicious software embedded on them. Also try to source the ROM from SamMobile, it's the official source of ROM's for Samsung mobiles.

Good luck!

02-13-2015 03:11 AM
    I hope you stay with Android and with us . Here you'll learn tricks and great things about custom launchers, root, roms, themes, modules and much more. BUT. Right now there's a different problem. Rooting your phone will void the warranty and there's always the risk of ending up with an expensive paperweight in your hands.

The responsibility is in Samsung or your carrier hands. Take it to the shop. Most likely they'll recommend you to do a factory reset. But even doing that is their responsibility.

And, of course, there's a chance that you were unlucky and your phone is just defective.

After a major update there are always bugs and some people, as yourself, will have some serious problems. Even that is a valid claim to have your new phone replaced.
    02-13-2015 04:32 AM