Is it safe to charnge S5 with iphone usb charger?

Xenomorph235

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Is it safe to charge my samsung galaxy s5 with one of these?

celltronix-just-charge-it-wall-usb-charger-500.jpg

APPLE%20A1265.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If it is a genuine apple charger then no problem. It will charge slower than stock though

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You sure? because the charger gets hot when its charging my phone..
Provided that it is a genuine apple charger in good working order then you will be fine.

It is normal to get warm, but it shouldn't get hot. How hot does it get?

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That wall wart pictured is only pushing half of what the S5 can take to fast charge. It should be totally safe - just as said above slow to charge the S5.....

Xenomorph235

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Provided that it is a genuine apple charger in good working order then you will be fine.

It is normal to get warm, but it shouldn't get hot. How hot does it get?

Not extreme. but HOT..

my phone stays cool but the charger gets hot

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds normal then :)
They sell all the major brands chargers on eBay - mostly copies from China made cheaply you have to be careful of that. But yours is probably leget just not providing the high output needed to fast charge the S5..

IBMJunkman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
There are 2 factors in chargers. The output Voltage V and output Amperage A. Think of electricity like water. Voltage is pressure and Amperage is quantity/gallons.

The Samsung charger puts out 5.3 V and 2.0 A. My Apple charger puts out 5.1 V and 2.1 A.
All USB chargers are in the 5 V range. The Amperage varies. A PC USB socket is limited to .5 A (500 milliamp). My iPad does not charge when plugged into the PC. The S5 does charge.

What this means is the Apple charger has less pressure but a bit more quantity. The voltage is more important than amperage. If it is too high it can fry the device being charged. If it is too low the device will take longer to charge and may not charge fully. An amperage rating too high is not so important because the amount used is determined by the Voltage and the device being charged.

Your Apple charger will result in longer charging times.

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Does that mean that it's safe to use an S4 or S3 car charger with an S5?

Hope this isn't going off topic? Should I start a new thread to ask this question?

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 factors in chargers. The output Voltage V and output Amperage A. Think of electricity like water. Voltage is pressure and Amperage is quantity/gallons.

The Samsung charger puts out 5.3 V and 2.0 A. My Apple charger puts out 5.1 V and 2.1 A.
All USB chargers are in the 5 V range. The Amperage varies. A PC USB socket is limited to .5 A (500 milliamp). My iPad does not charge when plugged into the PC. The S5 does charge.

What this means is the Apple charger has less pressure but a bit more quantity. The voltage is more important than amperage. If it is too high it can fry the device being charged. If it is too low the device will take longer to charge and may not charge fully. An amperage rating too high is not so important because the amount used is determined by the Voltage and the device being charged.

Your Apple charger will result in longer charging times.
Usb chargers can go higher than 5v . the Droid Turbo charger allows 9v and 12v charging. Although, it defaults to 5v,so you will be safe on any usb device.

Also the charger in the picture in the op is a 5v/1a charger. The 5v/2a apple charger is larger

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Like others have already stated, you'll be fine. It will charge slower than normal but will not damage your device. I have so many USB chargers in my house that I just grab whichever one is closest to me at the moment.

Jose Flores6

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
So what if I used my galaxy s5 charger adapter to charge my iphone 4s

Can I use my samsung galaxy s5 charger adapter for my iphone 4s
I just don't want anything wrong to happen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC