07-29-2016 02:21 PM
117 1234 ...
tools
    This started with the lollipop upgrade. I have changed nothing, beyond factory reset and clearing the cache.
    04-07-2015 05:42 PM
    If you've performed a full factory reset, then I would look into warrantying the phone, if covered.

Did the most recent OTA update help at all? Or have you even applied it yet?

You can Go to Settings>Battery at the end of the day to see what has been consuming the most battery.
    04-08-2015 01:36 PM
    hi ive just followed this process as have the same issues - the KIES3 hasn't worked so I have lost all my contacts and most importantly precious photos. ANy advice on how to recover them would be much appreciated
    04-12-2015 12:18 PM
    This is the worst Android update I have ever witnessed. (AT&T G5) I have been a staunch Android supporter since the early days - even declining a free iPhone at work. This will no longer be the case............

Once again, I have severe battery drain with Lollipop. The phone is discharging greater than 30% per hour. 3 hours of battery usage for a full charge. Andoid services are the culprit according to GSAM battery meter. I have disabled all extraneous apps and turned down syncing to the bare minimum. 2 factory resets.........same issues. I am all done with Android. This has occurred for every release of Android for the past 2 years. I can no longer tolerate the BS with every release. I rely on my phone for work. This causes me undue stress every day, searching for a wall plug. Carrying an extra battery will now be a requirement - and 2 batteries it won't even get me through the day. I am a gear head - I know how to tweak the phone.................

Google - are you listening? Get rid of all the BS on the phone - I don't care about your Google + apps, I don;t care about Google Fit, I don;t care about any of this...........focus on your Sync problems.....this is the real problem............ How will all of your great apps affect me, if I cannot even turn them on because of battery drain????????? Get my phone working for longer than 3 hours. Focus your development efforts on this.

PS - great move with the S6 - you cannot get access to the battery.............I'll be sure to run right out and buy one.

Scott
    New iPhone advocate
    04-12-2015 02:51 PM
    This is the worst Android update I have ever witnessed. (AT&T G5) I have been a staunch Android supporter since the early days - even declining a free iPhone at work. This will no longer be the case............

Once again, I have severe battery drain with Lollipop. The phone is discharging greater than 30% per hour. 3 hours of battery usage for a full charge. Andoid services are the culprit according to GSAM battery meter. I have disabled all extraneous apps and turned down syncing to the bare minimum. 2 factory resets.........same issues. I am all done with Android. This has occurred for every release of Android for the past 2 years. I can no longer tolerate the BS with every release. I rely on my phone for work. This causes me undue stress every day, searching for a wall plug. Carrying an extra battery will now be a requirement - and 2 batteries it won't even get me through the day. I am a gear head - I know how to tweak the phone.................

Google - are you listening? Get rid of all the BS on the phone - I don't care about your Google + apps, I don;t care about Google Fit, I don;t care about any of this...........focus on your Sync problems.....this is the real problem............ How will all of your great apps affect me, if I cannot even turn them on because of battery drain????????? Get my phone working for longer than 3 hours. Focus your development efforts on this.

PS - great move with the S6 - you cannot get access to the battery.............I'll be sure to run right out and buy one.

Scott
    New iPhone advocate
    Have you tried a factory reset?

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    BlurryEyed likes this.
    04-12-2015 04:21 PM
    My phone is having the same issues. I spoke to Verizon and they think that it is the phone, but since several people I know are having the same issues. It happened after an update, exactly as you have described. It seems like it is running something in the background.
    04-14-2015 12:45 AM
    Have you tried a factory reset?

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    Did you read what you quoted? Not that a factory reset would be an acceptable fix to begin with in 2015.

My phone isn't quite as bad as this, but it's not good. The latest patch from Verizon helped for about 2 days then it was back to the same old. 5.0 is junk, period. Verizon and Samsung had to have known this while they were developing their releases and should have stopped and waited.

But they didn't. Inexcusable incompetence by Google, Samsung, and Verizon. With the changes in the S6, I know for certain my next phone will not be a Samsung. Will it still be Android? Verizon? I'm not sure at this point. What I am sure about is that after 4 years of the same old promises and subsequent failures I'm fed up.
    04-14-2015 04:16 PM
    I am also the victim of this i bought my S5 last week it came with Android 4.4 i was so foolish to at least do a research about lollipop before setting up the phone, i barely used the phone a couple of hours in kitkat and as soon as the software download was completed i was with lollipop and loving it but after a use of 1 week i am hating it and banging my head.
    I've tried wiping cache thingy, factory resetting but nothing worked phone is still heating up and draining battery with a minimal use i am getting around 18-20 hours of battery time i repeat minimal use no whatsapping, viber, fb, music nothing just like a dummy phone using for calls and some whatsapp messages. i've even uninstalled all games third party apps.
    Please help me out in this what to do now.
    04-15-2015 09:57 AM
    I am also the victim of this i bought my S5 last week it came with Android 4.4 i was so foolish to at least do a research about lollipop before setting up the phone, i barely used the phone a couple of hours in kitkat and as soon as the software download was completed i was with lollipop and loving it but after a use of 1 week i am hating it and banging my head.
    I've tried wiping cache thingy, factory resetting but nothing worked phone is still heating up and draining battery with a minimal use i am getting around 18-20 hours of battery time i repeat minimal use no whatsapping, viber, fb, music nothing just like a dummy phone using for calls and some whatsapp messages. i've even uninstalled all games third party apps.
    Please help me out in this what to do now.
    I'm so glad that I found this forum. It confirmed what I suspected, the Lollipop update is causing my phone to overheat.

Shortly after I installed Lollipop, my Samsung 5 began overheating. After several weeks of overheating, the phone began to malfunction -- text messages weren't sending immediately, phone calls couldn't come through, screen was inoperable, etc. I went to local Verizon Wireless in Bowie, and the rep had the nerve to insinuate there was nothing wrong with the phone just because he couldn't diagnose the problem. Clearly, Samsung had not communicated this known issue to VZW. The phone was replaced under warranty.

This morning, I installed Lollipop on my replacement Samsung 5, and the phone has begun to overheat just like the last phone.

Tomorrow, I will do a factory reset to get rid of Lollipop and customize my settings ONCE AGAIN.

Come on Google, Samsung, and Verizon Wireless! Tell your customers of the known issue, and FIX IT!
    04-15-2015 09:12 PM
    the same happened with me and the problem is with lollipop update probably not with the hardware as alot of people are having problems after this update do i didn't went for the warranty thingy well you must not have installed lollipop update again and have waited for a newer version i.e 5.0.1 or 5.0.2(hope so without battery drainage and overheating problem) i've also searched about downgrading it to the older kitkat version but in that case you have to root your phone and that will void the warranty i think coz most of the warranties doesn't cover this thing.

And yeah i agree they should communicate, work and fix things ASAP so that they are not going to loose customers.
    04-16-2015 10:38 AM
    Strange I am not having this issue with my Verizon S5... on build VRU1BOC4 did you guys try to do an update?
    BlurryEyed likes this.
    04-16-2015 11:46 AM
    Galaxy S5 Overheating Issue and Other Observations
    The next email message from our reader confirms that the Galaxy S5 overheats after lollipop update and one of the causes could be the microSD card, although, our reader Sorin said the recent update also fixed an issue related to creating directories in the SD card as well as copying file into it.

I decided to include his email because he shared some of his observations with lollipop and I believe many of our readers also want to know if what they’re currently experiencing can be fixed or not.

Message: Hi, I have read your blog at Galaxy S5 Troubleshooting Part 32 and there was one person saying that he or she (Thanasi) solved the overheating problem simply by removing the SD card. I think we are on to something here. I have similar problems, and I also used an SD card that I bought from Frys for a vey good price ($29 for 64G). Before Lollipop I was disappointed because I couldn’t copy files and create directories to that SD card directly from the phone, but the new OS lifted that restriction, and probably created this huge problem with overheating.

When I read what Thanasi had to say and your response, I thought I will try that solution too. But how to move the SD card contents to the phone when maybe those folders were generated by other apps, and interference from me would probably mess the behavior of those applications? I went to the app manager, and one by one I looked at the details of each app I had installed. Most of the apps don’t use the external SD card to store data. There are a few that do, and Kindle and Flipoard are massively using the SD storage (more than 100M). I often use the Flipboard app to browse the news, and the performance of that app was deplorable lately. The screen of my phone was heating a lot to the point where the app wouldn’t react to touch screen gestures anymore. When I tried to share articles by mail, after pushing “send” the phone wouldn’t return to Flipboard, and the “sending…” message wouldn’t disappear, and the phone looked like frozen. Every time I had to power cycle the phone to get out of that situation. Every time it was burning hot in my hands.

I wrote to the Flipboard team, letting them know about this issue and asked them to verify this situation. Their cache size is set by default to 128M and also set on “external” storage. Of course I found a way to the settings of that app and changed the cache settings to 32M (minimum) and internal.

Possible data traffic from external storage to RAM and back, with high speed and volume will cause heating, especially in such tight enclosure as the cell phone. I have removed my SD card and will monitor the heating and battery consumption patterns to make sure that this is actually the problem. Access to SD storage should not be by default, but rather on demand, with the user intent or at least knowledge. This is probably where Lollipop missed the mark.

Another thing that I noticed, relative to the smart network switch is that with that switch disabled, and while connected to a wifi network, and with the wifi calling enabled, the Lollipop sometimes enables both radioes: the wifi and mobile network as well, showing both 4G and wifi icons in the status. The previous OS was turning off the 4G whenever the wifi was on. Also, when the wifi calling feature was enabled, the cell signal bars were grayed out in the previous OS, and now in Lollipop the cell connection is still active. For what purpose, I don’t know. But the thing is that the phone is with all radioes on now, and if the cell network is weak, it will probably search it like crazy and battery usage will be high. The only thing I was able to do was to turn off the cellular data usage from settings; manually (no such luck with the phone mobile network). There is no shortcut for turning off the 4G, you cannot place that yellow icon from settings into the quick settings menu, so it kind of sucks. And yes, the wifi scanning for networks over and over and over and over again is another of those “features” of the Lollipop (funny name, huh? destined for such great product…) no matter if you are already connected to a network with strong and stable signal. Why would they do that without giving the user an out? Beats me. Regards, Karan.
    04-17-2015 11:24 AM
    Lucky you .
    Yes but the phone says the latest update has been already installed i.e lollipop 5.0
    now waiting for the next update 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 and hoping that these issue's will be fixed.
    04-22-2015 04:01 PM
    I have the same issue with the battery life on my S5 becoming terrible following the Lollipop upgrade and my prior battery life was one of the best parts of the phone. I have had a series of chats sessions with Samsung technical support and they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with the device now. I have done all of the steps shown including a factory reset and the drain remains. In an earlier post on this thread, I saw somebody describing dialing Google Fit and S Health as possible sources so I will try that on my phone. I also saw somebody saying that removing the SD card was helpful so I will likely try that afterwards if the fitness disabling doesn't work.

I sure hope somebody finally steps up to take responsibility and put out a fix. I had been looking at the S6 Edge but there is no way I would buy it now or until I see a fix here. I can't believe I am even considering it but I might have to go back to iOS instead. Yikes!
    04-23-2015 11:14 AM
    Certain Lollipop releases appear to need a Factory Data Reset and a Full Wipe as a matter of course. Chief among these is the non Samsung released, Verizon Lollipop release. It is becoming clear that those who had moved apps to their SD card are more at risk in the change from Dalvik to ART. This is all explained in the S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide as well as a tutorial on how to do a Factory Data Reset and Full Wipe.
    04-23-2015 12:16 PM
    I have the same issue with the battery life on my S5 becoming terrible following the Lollipop upgrade and my prior battery life was one of the best parts of the phone. I have had a series of chats sessions with Samsung technical support and they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with the device now. I have done all of the steps shown including a factory reset and the drain remains. In an earlier post on this thread, I saw somebody describing dialing Google Fit and S Health as possible sources so I will try that on my phone. I also saw somebody saying that removing the SD card was helpful so I will likely try that afterwards if the fitness disabling doesn't work.

I sure hope somebody finally steps up to take responsibility and put out a fix. I had been looking at the S6 Edge but there is no way I would buy it now or until I see a fix here. I can't believe I am even considering it but I might have to go back to iOS instead. Yikes!
    Have you tried any battery usage apps to see if there is some app in particular that is causing the issue? Or perhaps doing a factory reset, but not syncing all your applications. Run it stock for a day to see if there is something else going on.
    04-23-2015 07:52 PM
    The fixes to all of these problems ly in the updates we aren't getting yet... 5.0.1,5.0.2,5.1.0,5.1.1. That's because Verizon is one slow *** company to update there products. Once we get these future updates. Our problems should be solved.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-23-2015 08:20 PM
    It looks like that did if for me. After the factory reset, I still had the problem. I didn't have Google Fit installed so nothing to do there but I did disable S Health and my battery drain appears to be gone. I'll report back if it seems to worsen again.
    04-24-2015 02:13 PM
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to state the obvious. I am totally disappointed with the Lollipop update. My S5 Active was the most reliable smart device I have ever owned, up until I upgraded. WHAT WERE YOU GUYS THINKING???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really ticked off that your engineering/marketing teams feel that it is OK to mess with peoples lives...my battery life was never an issue before this and my phone worked just fine...great in fact. Thanks a whole bunch for NOTHING. I hate to say it but this is what APPLE does...I used to be able to make fun of Apple users, now thanks to the CRACK TEAM at Android I can't spare the battery life.

Take it back, fix it, do your job...stop the crap!!!

PS: I could care less about the endless apps and add ons...stop already...stop!!!!
    bunny0402 likes this.
    04-24-2015 03:15 PM
    It looks like that did if for me. After the factory reset, I still had the problem. I didn't have Google Fit installed so nothing to do there but I did disable S Health and my battery drain appears to be gone. I'll report back if it seems to worsen again.
    Interesting...I have S Health enabled and no battery drain. I know others have indicated that fixed their issue, but I'm curious to know the scenario...was it:

A) Upgraded - Battery life sucked - Disabled S Health - Battery life better
    or
    B) Upgraded - Battery life sucked - Factory Reset - Battery Life still sucked - Disabled S Heath - Battery life better

My scenario was a simple factory reset and all is well.
    04-24-2015 03:51 PM
    how come you all need to factory reset? when i updated to lollipop it was already fine and i didnt have to factory reset.

btw what carrier are you guys on?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-24-2015 09:00 PM
    how come you all need to factory reset? when i updated to lollipop it was already fine and i didnt have to factory reset.
    btw what carrier are you guys on?
    Those of us that had to perform a FDR was after the first release of Lollipop in February. Our phones were overheating and under-performing. For some, wiping the partition cache resolved the issue, but for most, we had to do a full FDR.

I'm with Verizon. They recently pushed an "udpated" Lollipop OTA in March, which I do not believe causes the overheating/under-perfomance issues that we saw after the first Lollipop push.

Here's the specs:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=5wJGFbr8

So depending on when you updated likely would have determined if you got the "botched" update or the better of the two.
    04-27-2015 01:11 PM
    I am on verizon and did the lollipop update over the weekend to the BOC4 version. Having overheating, battery draining fast and lagging issues so the latest upgrade from verizon doesn't fix the issues. Going to try the kies and factory restore route next. I know one thing, probably my last android phone.
    04-28-2015 06:16 PM
    I know this may be a bit of a long-shot but does everyone who's having the overheating issue using the microSD slot? if so, which brand card and class is the card?

I'm asking this because a while back I was having the same issue with my S4. After scouring the internet for a solution and the weirdest thing fixed my problem. I stumbled upon a sale on amazon and bought a Samsung Pro SDXC class10 to replace my sandisk card and for some odd reason it stopped the overheating and the battery dropping a percent a minute. Both cards were 64GB but the Samsung one did not overheat the phone.
    04-29-2015 12:11 AM
    I loved my phone before update now, battery doesn't last the day and its slow and overheats 3 times a day even when not being used. so there is an issue with the update
    sgesualdi likes this.
    04-29-2015 08:45 AM
117 1234 ...