07-29-2016 02:21 PM
117 ... 2345
tools
    Mine is doing the same thing, starting a few days ago. I already did the Verizon update from back in April, that didn't improve much from before. Now it is very bad. I ordered a new battery thinking that might be the problem and it's burning through my new battery too. I cleared cache partition, and I've turned off Wifi, Mobile data, and location services.

I have not done the Factory reset yet, as I would like to back up all my files and data first. Using GSam battery monitor, the 2 most used "apps" are Android System and Kernel (Android OS) which use 16.9% and 22% respectively. Google Play services is using 6%. The Android system should not be hogging that much.

Anyone have any suggestions besides doing a factory reset once I get my data backed up?
    06-12-2015 11:45 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing, starting a few days ago. I already did the Verizon update from back in April, that didn't improve much from before. Now it is very bad. I ordered a new battery thinking that might be the problem and it's burning through my new battery too. I cleared cache partition, and I've turned off Wifi, Mobile data, and location services.

I have not done the Factory reset yet, as I would like to back up all my files and data first. Using GSam battery monitor, the 2 most used "apps" are Android System and Kernel (Android OS) which use 16.9% and 22% respectively. Google Play services is using 6%. The Android system should not be hogging that much.

Anyone have any suggestions besides doing a factory reset once I get my data backed up?
    Backup/Reset is the best course of action based on your findings.
    06-12-2015 12:35 PM
    That's what I figured. If I have time and get it done this weekend then I'll post here again with my results.
    06-12-2015 02:03 PM
    Same thing has been happening to me over the past few weeks. Android kernel and system are killing my battery life.

And I've already done a factory reset a few months ago when Lollipop botched my phone the first time, so I can't see why I'd need to do it again. I did do a cache partition wipe but with no positive outcome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    06-12-2015 06:50 PM
    Please help! I'm from Latvia and I got phone from South Africa CSC region XFE. Battery is hugely draining and I tried to downgrade to kit kat. That helped, but apps were crashing and stuff. Battery was only a bit better. Then it was 5-6 hours uptime but I love the lollipop design. So I upgraded it trough kies and waited for the best. Battery was 3-4 hours. I rooted it and downloaded wakelock detector and greenify. That helped 4-5 hours. I know that I should get a new battery and consult the ****sung. Here's a screenshot

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S5 Overheating and Draining Battery after Lollipop Update-screenshot_2015-06-15-09-34-27.jpg  
    06-15-2015 01:40 AM
    Please help! I'm from Latvia and I got phone from South Africa CSC region XFE. Battery is hugely draining and I tried to downgrade to kit kat. That helped, but apps were crashing and stuff. Battery was only a bit better. Then it was 5-6 hours uptime but I love the lollipop design. So I upgraded it trough kies and waited for the best. Battery was 3-4 hours. I rooted it and downloaded wakelock detector and greenify. That helped 4-5 hours. I know that I should get a new battery and consult the ****sung.

06-15-2015 01:41 AM
    Please help! I'm from Latvia and I got phone from South Africa CSC region XFE. Battery is hugely draining and I tried to downgrade to kit kat. That helped, but apps were crashing and stuff. Battery was only a bit better. Then it was 5-6 hours uptime but I love the lollipop design. So I upgraded it trough kies and waited for the best. Help

06-15-2015 01:41 AM
    I am having the same problem. I have to turn it off and let it cool because some functions will not work while it is overheated.
    06-18-2015 04:05 PM
    Please help! I'm from Latvia and I got phone from South Africa CSC region XFE. Battery is hugely draining and I tried to downgrade to kit kat. That helped, but apps were crashing and stuff. Battery was only a bit better. Then it was 5-6 hours uptime but I love the lollipop design. So I upgraded it trough kies and waited for the best. Help

I believe your phone model is the G900H, non 4G, octa core model, XFE, for South African networks. This could be causing signal issues on the European networks, resulting in battery drain and over heating.
    06-18-2015 04:17 PM
    If you have Smart Switch on turn it off

06-18-2015 07:50 PM
    Bought a brand new S5+ with Android 5.0.2 installed.

Battery of Android is creme de la crap.
    It drops 10% in 8 hours while in idle standby mode.

Android system (20%)
    Android OS (7%)
    and google services (3%)
    seems to be very active.

Tried: Ultra Super Power Off mode (no sync, no gps, no data connection,
    no wifi, black screen, black background
    brightness hardly visible)

When I actually used the phone. (Download maps with wifi).
    Drop of battery 10% in 20 minutes.

EDIT1: Did some googling: Google play services trips the wakelock
    This looks like no1 reason of abnormal battery usage. Solution? try some mod. No update available
    06-20-2015 03:52 AM
    07-09-2015 05:13 AM
    Hi I have Samsung s5 and I discovered a solution for over heating issue but battery problem still persists
    How ever if I use it more I get breathing problem and cannot charge while using
    Because now I use it under water so it does not heats
    07-09-2015 05:18 AM
    Could you please tell which apps did provoke this issues?
    07-16-2015 12:44 PM
    No issues as such here ... i keep my running apps in total control
    07-17-2015 01:54 AM
    "A new report is calling out the Android apps that use up the most battery, memory, and storage resources — even when running in the background."

"be advised that the Facebook and Spotify Music Android apps top the list of overall resource hogs"

Apps that auto start or run in the background

1. Facebook

2. BlackBerry Messenger

3. 8 Ball Pool

4. Instagram

5. Messenger

6. WeChat

7. Facebook Pages Manager

8. Oovoo Video Call Text & Voice

9. KakaoTalk Free Calls & Text

10. Vine

Apps that are initiated by the user

1. Spotify

2. Amazon Kindle

3. Line Free Calls & Messages

4. Samsung WatchOn Video

5. Snapchat

6. Netflix

7. SoundCloud Music & Audio

8. CleanMaster Speed Booster

9. Tumblr

10. Picsart Photo Studio

Source... Facebook and Spotify Music apps are the biggest hogs of your Android phone’s battery, memory, and data

Also see #1.2 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide for reasons you may be experencing battery drain and/or overheating and what you can do about it.
    07-17-2015 03:09 AM
    When I did the update the phone got very hot. Had I been holding the phone I would have likely panicked and tried to prevent it. As it was when the update was finished it was so hot that when it finished paranoia still set in.

Research led to many different possible causes and outcomes. So rather than do something that might be drastic I let the phone cool down and did nothing outside of normal use. Weeks later the phone is fine.

It seems that often SD cards are blamed for problems. I have no SD card so that possibility wasn't a real one. With phones heat seems to be the enemy. I don't doubt the possibility the had a card been inserted that the heat from the update might have cooked the card. I am hoping that there will be no problem once I do get card.

The update took about the 13 minutes they said it would. I would be more than willing to wait much longer if it allowed the update without the heat. It seems irresponsible on their part to advise an update that might harm any phone, or its SD card.

07-19-2015 10:11 AM
    Hi All
    I recently updating my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and since then have being having problems with the phone overheating and draining the battery. I fully charged the battery and within 2 1/2 hours the phone went from 100% battery life to 8% without me using it.
    The phone itself also became very hot to touch, both front and back.
    Has anybody else had the same experience?
    Thanks
    08-18-2015 10:35 AM
    Same issue with my galaxy note 8.0. I followed youtube instructions to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and that seems to have solved the problem. Finally
    08-18-2015 10:39 AM
    I have an s5 plus brand new with lollipop 5.0.2 in box. And on first day i see that the battery drains 8% in 6 hours on idle. No overheat but that battery drain makes me crazy i have a galaxy grand prime to but even after 14 hours of idle has 0% battery drain. I know that the s5 hardware needs more fuel but on idle it's not normal to have that amount of drain in this low interval of time. The same applications are installed on both phones!!!!!power saving mode helped a little bit with restrict background data but even so i had 3 % in 6 hours, there is something wrong with lollipop.So will this drain fixed with a new android ubgrade?because 5.0.2 is not good. Or i have to give my phone to somebody to install kit kat on it?
    08-21-2015 01:21 PM
    I have an s5 plus brand new with lollipop 5.0.2 in box. And on first day i see that the battery drains 8% in 6 hours on idle. No overheat but that battery drain makes me crazy i have a galaxy grand prime to but even after 14 hours of idle has 0% battery drain. I know that the s5 hardware needs more fuel but on idle it's not normal to have that amount of drain in this low interval of time. The same applications are installed on both phones!!!!!power saving mode helped a little bit with restrict background data but even so i had 3 % in 6 hours, there is something wrong with lollipop.So will this drain fixed with a new android ubgrade?because 5.0.2 is not good. Or i have to give my phone to somebody to install kit kat on it?
    Hello and welcome to Android Central Fleisz Iosif!

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 40 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 3,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 6 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2 and Android 5.1.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware Info... PDA, Baseband, CSC, versions.

#3. Also helpful would be your carrier, (service provider), location, (UK, India, Russia, USA, etc: ), and if your phone is rooted or not and running a custom ROM, (give details).

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly.

For more information, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

(TIP If you are a poster it is a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.
    08-21-2015 01:41 PM
    Thank you for your answer. So here it is:

Model number: SM-G901F

Android version: 5.0.2

Firmware: AP : G901FXXU1BOC4

CP : G901FXXU1BOC4

CSC : G901FPHN1BOC1

Build number : LRX22G.G901FXXU1BOC4

i buyed the phone in netherlands from mediamarkt 7 days ago,and i use it with Lebara prepayd sim. I don't use mobile data just wifi.brightness on 25 30 % . When i go to sleep i take it from charger it's on 100% close all the apps (just 2 installed, facebook and messenger)turn wifi off, and after 5 hours when i wake up it's on 93% 90%. I see that many people say that is because of facebook and messenger but i don't think so. As i sayed i have galaxy grand prime(android 4.4.4 , 5 inch ,1.2 quad core , 1gb ram) to and even after 14 hours of idle the battery is on same % like before,and with wifi turned on
    08-22-2015 09:57 AM
    Thank you for your answer. So here it is:

Model number: SM-G901F

Android version: 5.0.2

Firmware: AP : G901FXXU1BOC4

CP : G901FXXU1BOC4

CSC : G901FPHN1BOC1

Build number : LRX22G.G901FXXU1BOC4

i buyed the phone in netherlands from mediamarkt 7 days ago,and i use it with Lebara prepayd sim. I don't use mobile data just wifi.brightness on 25 30 % . When i go to sleep i take it from charger it's on 100% close all the apps (just 2 installed, facebook and messenger)turn wifi off, and after 5 hours when i wake up it's on 93% 90%. I see that many people say that is because of facebook and messenger but i don't think so. As i sayed i have galaxy grand prime(android 4.4.4 , 5 inch ,1.2 quad core , 1gb ram) to and even after 14 hours of idle the battery is on same % like before,and with wifi turned on
    You have the unbranded Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE-A, G901F, on Netherlands firmware for CSC code PHN.

Your main concern seems to be an overnight battery drop of 7% -> 10% or roughly 1% -> 1.5% per hour which, personally, I do not consider to be too bad.

You do not use mobile data and switch off Wi-Fi at night. Therefore any apps that are automatically waking up and searching for data or need location on a regular basis will be struggling in the background and creating wakelocks.

You could set your Wi-Fi to never sleep which may help to shorten the wakelocks.

Whilst you do not believe that FaceBook and Messanger are causing your issue, they both appear in the top ten of battery and performance drainers and have done so for a number of years. These will auto start up in the background even if you think you have closed them. You could try disabling these two programmes for a few nights and see what difference it makes.

Also, you can install, free from the Play Store, GSam Battery Monitor and see what is actually using your battery.
    08-22-2015 12:43 PM
    Installed gsm battery monitor. Screen 22 % app usage 71%

If i go to app usage the first 3 places are:

Android system 18.9%
    Kernel (android os) 16.0 %
    System (mm-qcamera-daem) 6.9 %

Facebook 0.4 %
    Messenger 0.2 %

I dont know what to think,for me it seems that this battery drain is not normal. A friend of mine hase lg g3 with the QHD screen a lot of app's on the phone and no battery drain overnight even not 1%.
    08-22-2015 01:24 PM
    Installed gsm battery monitor. Screen 22 % app usage 71%

If i go to app usage the first 3 places are:

Android system 18.9%
    Kernel (android os) 16.0 %
    System (mm-qcamera-daem) 6.9 %

Facebook 0.4 %
    Messenger 0.2 %

I dont know what to think,for me it seems that this battery drain is not normal. A friend of mine hase lg g3 with the QHD screen a lot of app's on the phone and no battery drain overnight even not 1%.
    What length of time does your GSam Battery Monitor cover?
    08-22-2015 01:29 PM
117 ... 2345