Galaxy S5 Overheating and Draining Battery after Lollipop Update

DC1967

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi All
I recently updating my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and since then have being having problems with the phone overheating and draining the battery. I fully charged the battery and within 2 1/2 hours the phone went from 100% battery life to 8% without me using it.
The phone itself also became very hot to touch, both front and back.
Has anybody else had the same experience?
Thanks

Jay_burn

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem, I've just signed up and come to reply, and in doing so my phone is burning up and in watching my battery drop by 1% every three minutes...

Bad times update, bad times.

Nabil Azarou

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello there,

Reboot the phone in safe mode first then update google play services.

Wipe the cache partition and boot your phone.

If the problem persist then a factory reset would fix it for sure.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5

DC1967

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Proving quite tricky at the moment, phone plugged into charger and showing the charge indicator at 0%. Phone now just totally died even though plugged into charger. Screen very hot.
After a total of 3 hours after removing from charger this morning at 100% charged, the phone is now dead.....
Now charging again, I have emailed Samsung Support to ask them to explain this, will be interesting to hear their none committal response.
Why have they allowed the update without testing the OS correctly?

Nabil Azarou

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Proving quite tricky at the moment, phone plugged into charger and showing the charge indicator at 0%. Phone now just totally died even though plugged into charger. Screen very hot.
After a total of 3 hours after removing from charger this morning at 100% charged, the phone is now dead.....
Now charging again, I have emailed Samsung Support to ask them to explain this, will be interesting to hear their none committal response.
Why have they allowed the update without testing the OS correctly?

Lollipop is working perfectly on S5, with a clean install you wouldn't encounter any problems.

DC1967

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Very Strange thinks happening since update. Phone now won't charge when plugged in to MacBook Pro, it used to, shows the charging symbol but battery life is falling with no usage.
Looks like I'll have to back it up and do a factory reset.

DC1967

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
OK, so I decided to factory reset my Galaxy S5, a little drastic since I've had it for nearly 12 months.
Backed up the phone to MacBook Pro through Kies, then did complete factory reset and recovery from Kies to reload APPS etc.
Phone is now charging over USB through MAC and will keep you updated as to whether I still get the battery drain and over heating problem.

iLogikk

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello there,

Reboot the phone in safe mode first then update google play services.

Wipe the cache partition and boot your phone.

If the problem persist then a factory reset would fix it for sure.

I tried this also but it didn't work. In fact, I did a factory reset right after the update to avoid any issues.

In another post, someone mentioned that after unplugging his phone from the charger, he would wait about 5 mins and reboot it (he waited 5 mins bc doing it immediately after unplugging did not work and he had to do it a second time). This seemed to help the battery life be more stable. Today is my first day doing it and it has worked for me. I unplugged my phone at 7:20 am and it's still at 64% battery life which is still a bit low for the light use today but in days prior, I would be placing my phone on charger for its 3rd charge. I think there is some process running that is killing the battery.

Also to note, while he didn't say this reboot helped the lag and lack of responsiveness of the phone, I have noticed it has helped me. Hopefully, this will be corrected.

DC1967

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Finally received a response from Samsung which was pretty much what I expected.
No admittance of responsibility for completely stuffing my Galaxy S5 but a useful walk through for factory resetting the phone.

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is 211******3.

I apologise for the issues you are facing with your Samsung device after performing software update, In regard to your query I recommend performing a factory data reset.

A factory reset will erase all of the information stored on your device and will restore the software to original manufacturer settings. It will not remove software updates but it can undo any changes to settings that might be causing you problems.

This process will erase all of your data so a full back up using Samsung KIES is strongly advised before conducting a factory reset.

In order to back up your data, you will need to install KIES onto your PC. There are two versions of KIES: the one you need depends on what version of Android your Samsung device is using.

To check the Android version of your device, please follow these steps:

1. Go to your Apps
2. Then to Settings
3. Click on More
4. Click About Device
5. Here you will see your Android version
If your Android version is 4.3 or above, you will need to download KIES 3. If your Android version is below 4.3, please download KIES.

You can download both versions from this link: Samsung KIES

Once the correct version is installed, please follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer using the Samsung USB Cable that came with your device (the charging cable with the plug head removed)
2. Open KIES and click the Back Up/Restore tab.
3. Click Data Backup
4. Mark the check box next to the content you want to back up. You can select all content by marking the check box next to Select all Items. Click Backup.
5. Click Complete when the backup is finished.
6. You can have KIES automatically back up your device every time it’s connected by clicking the check box next to Automatically back up when USB connection is established.

To factory reset the device please follow the next steps:

1. From the Home Screen, tap the Applications menu item.
2. Tap on Settings.
3. Scroll down to Privacy and tap it.
4. Tap the Factory Data Reset menu item.
5. Tap the Reset phone button.
6. Tap the Erase Everything button.

Your phone will now reset and will begin the initial start-up process. Please ensure that you have your various accounts’ details ready – e.g., Samsung account, email account, Wi-Fi.

If you have any more queries, please get in touch either by phone or email and I will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Maneesha

Customer Service Representative

coolada85

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem and did a factory reset without reinstalling the apps then put my apps in one at a time and found a few apps that started causing the problem again and deleted them. Hope this helps! It's been working great after that.

suewh

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have had my S5 for just over 6 months. After the lollipop update it was crashing, overheating and very quickly draining the battery. I tried one or two suggestions without success and then decided as a last resort to restore it to factory settings. Thankfully my Google contacts were saved automatically. I saved all my photos and videos to my computer. Since doing this everything is working very smoothly and quicker than before, I think my battery is lasting longer than it did originally, and my phone is no longer overheating. I would advise everyone out there to do a factory reset.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Free up more storage. Move all possible apps to sd card along with pics, music, vids, etc. Delete apps you rarely use.

sparkerc

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same battery drain issue. Wiped cache.... no help. Factory reset... no help. Saw on another post about uninstalling Google Fit and then disabling the "S Health" app. I did both of those and it has made a WORLD of difference. mA battery drain was hovering in the 400-600mA draw. After the removal, I am sitting at about 160mA which is where I was at pre-Lollipop.

YMMV but it is worth a shot and easy to do.

tracymcuk

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Recent Update is giving me no end of problems - Please advise

I'm having the same problem with the phone getting hot and the battery draining, but it keeps getting stuck, it is so slow I feel like I'm on Dial up plus more.

My question is if I do a factory reset will it go back to what it was prior to the DREADED UPDATE?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles