Galaxy S5 Overheating and Draining Battery after Lollipop Update

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with the battery life on my S5 becoming terrible following the Lollipop upgrade and my prior battery life was one of the best parts of the phone. I have had a series of chats sessions with Samsung technical support and they refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem with the device now. I have done all of the steps shown including a factory reset and the drain remains. In an earlier post on this thread, I saw somebody describing dialing Google Fit and S Health as possible sources so I will try that on my phone. I also saw somebody saying that removing the SD card was helpful so I will likely try that afterwards if the fitness disabling doesn't work.

I sure hope somebody finally steps up to take responsibility and put out a fix. I had been looking at the S6 Edge but there is no way I would buy it now or until I see a fix here. I can't believe I am even considering it but I might have to go back to iOS instead. Yikes!

Have you tried any battery usage apps to see if there is some app in particular that is causing the issue? Or perhaps doing a factory reset, but not syncing all your applications. Run it stock for a day to see if there is something else going on.

Myboys72

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
The fixes to all of these problems ly in the updates we aren't getting yet... 5.0.1,5.0.2,5.1.0,5.1.1. That's because Verizon is one slow *** company to update there products. Once we get these future updates. Our problems should be solved.

Posted via the Android Central App

MDulude

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
It looks like that did if for me. After the factory reset, I still had the problem. I didn't have Google Fit installed so nothing to do there but I did disable S Health and my battery drain appears to be gone. I'll report back if it seems to worsen again.

Chill69

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks,

I just wanted to state the obvious. I am totally disappointed with the Lollipop update. My S5 Active was the most reliable smart device I have ever owned, up until I upgraded. WHAT WERE YOU GUYS THINKING???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really ticked off that your engineering/marketing teams feel that it is OK to mess with peoples lives...my battery life was never an issue before this and my phone worked just fine...great in fact. Thanks a whole bunch for NOTHING. I hate to say it but this is what APPLE does...I used to be able to make fun of Apple users, now thanks to the CRACK TEAM at Android I can't spare the battery life.

Take it back, fix it, do your job...stop the crap!!!

PS: I could care less about the endless apps and add ons...stop already...stop!!!!

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It looks like that did if for me. After the factory reset, I still had the problem. I didn't have Google Fit installed so nothing to do there but I did disable S Health and my battery drain appears to be gone. I'll report back if it seems to worsen again.

Interesting...I have S Health enabled and no battery drain. I know others have indicated that fixed their issue, but I'm curious to know the scenario...was it:

A) Upgraded - Battery life sucked - Disabled S Health - Battery life better
or
B) Upgraded - Battery life sucked - Factory Reset - Battery Life still sucked - Disabled S Heath - Battery life better

My scenario was a simple factory reset and all is well.

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
how come you all need to factory reset? when i updated to lollipop it was already fine and i didnt have to factory reset.

btw what carrier are you guys on?

Posted via the Android Central App

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
how come you all need to factory reset? when i updated to lollipop it was already fine and i didnt have to factory reset.
btw what carrier are you guys on?

Those of us that had to perform a FDR was after the first release of Lollipop in February. Our phones were overheating and under-performing. For some, wiping the partition cache resolved the issue, but for most, we had to do a full FDR.

I'm with Verizon. They recently pushed an "udpated" Lollipop OTA in March, which I do not believe causes the overheating/under-perfomance issues that we saw after the first Lollipop push.

Here's the specs:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...benefits-galaxy-s5-3-27-15.pdf&token=08t-5aUw

So depending on when you updated likely would have determined if you got the "botched" update or the better of the two.

sgesualdi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I am on verizon and did the lollipop update over the weekend to the BOC4 version. Having overheating, battery draining fast and lagging issues so the latest upgrade from verizon doesn't fix the issues. Going to try the kies and factory restore route next. I know one thing, probably my last android phone.

phi303

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I know this may be a bit of a long-shot but does everyone who's having the overheating issue using the microSD slot? if so, which brand card and class is the card?

I'm asking this because a while back I was having the same issue with my S4. After scouring the internet for a solution and the weirdest thing fixed my problem. I stumbled upon a sale on amazon and bought a Samsung Pro SDXC class10 to replace my sandisk card and for some odd reason it stopped the overheating and the battery dropping a percent a minute. Both cards were 64GB but the Samsung one did not overheat the phone.

Melisa Abbott

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I loved my phone before update now, battery doesn't last the day and its slow and overheats 3 times a day even when not being used. so there is an issue with the update

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I know this may be a bit of a long-shot but does everyone who's having the overheating issue using the microSD slot? if so, which brand card and class is the card?

I'm asking this because a while back I was having the same issue with my S4. After scouring the internet for a solution and the weirdest thing fixed my problem. I stumbled upon a sale on amazon and bought a Samsung Pro SDXC class10 to replace my sandisk card and for some odd reason it stopped the overheating and the battery dropping a percent a minute. Both cards were 64GB but the Samsung one did not overheat the phone.

I had the over-heating/performance loss after the Feb OTA update to Lollipop. I have a 64GB Samsung EVO MicroSD (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4394949)

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
@Melissa Abbott

Did you try the common fixes yet? (Empty Partition Cache, Empty Data Cache, Disable S Health)

For me, I did have to do a FDR, but even so, I will not be going back to iPhone. Who want's to pay $100 extra for 16GB of additional storage? F' you apple! Storage is CHEAP!

w4cnv

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to lollipop on my Bluegrass Cellular S5. And it worked great for about a month then the overheating and battery draining started. I tried everything described in this thread and it was still getting hot. So I sent it in to Samsung and they put it back on kit kat and said it was fixed. Go figure:p:p

Last edited:

Tina Henry1

May 8, 2015
Visit site
OK, so I decided to factory reset my Galaxy S5, a little drastic since I've had it for nearly 12 months.
Backed up the phone to MacBook Pro through Kies, then did complete factory reset and recovery from Kies to reload APPS etc.
Phone is now charging over USB through MAC and will keep you updated as to whether I still get the battery drain and over heating problem.

How's it working now? I'm having the same problem

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same battery drain issues and over hearing on my att s5. Did the factory reset and it is working great now.

Sent from my SM-T320