Why is my battery draining so quickly on my GALAXY S5?

Droid15

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Suspicious battery drain on GALAXY S5

Hi,
I have battery draining problem with my Galaxy S5.
It is not regular problem, because turning off GPS, SYNC, Brightness, Smart Stay doesnt help much. The same for black and whiting screen or haveing black wallpaper.

I usually manage it to stay for 12hours, 4 screen on time, GPS on, Sync on, B. - auto, Smart stay on, Data on (3G).
That isnt bad at all. Thing is, that if I turn off everything, have 20% brightness, it doesnt change anything.

1% last for 3 minutes, my regular CPU temperature is 40°C, dischare 450mA (application Ampere) I have Android 5.0 (but happened the same with 4.4)

It drains the same every time. Basically every look at the phone = 1%.
For example-this night - 15% down.

Factory reset doesnt help, samsung service says its ok.

Thank everyone for helping!!!!

thsixscrews

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Try putting it on power saving mode. My battery was draining really bad after I updated to 5.0, I did the factory reset and cleared the cache in which it helped quite a bit but the battery still was taking a hit frome somewhere. I put it on power saving mode, just the top one I checked, and it has made a world of difference on mine.

Posted from my Galaxy S5

Droid15

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Suspicious battery drain on GALAXY S5

I tried it but nothing. How much minutes can you last for with 1% battery?
And if you have 5.0 could you please download app Amere and test your battery status please? (in mA)
Thank you!

Here are my stats:

Screenshot_2015-02-15-11-08-33.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-15-11-08-39.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-15-11-08-41.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-15-11-08-44.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-15-11-08-54.jpg

Droid15

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Well I´ll try power saving, but how can I figure out which app? Classic battery stats wont show me on galaxy s5

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I've actually narrowed down my Lollipop battery issues to a single app: Star Wars Commander.

I've found that if I launch Star Wars Commander, It causes something in the Android OS to go haywire, run hot, and wreak havoc on my battery and I'm lucky to get 6 hours. If I don't launch Star Wars Commander I can get 12 hours out of my battery easy.

If you look at the battery stats, it shows Android System and Android OS as the major culprits, but not Star Wars Commander. My only workaround is to launch Star Wars Commander, do my thing, and then reboot the phone since the Galaxy S5 Task Manager surely doesn't kill whatever is causing the drain.

For the record, this did not happen with KitKat and I have not done a FDR which I'm trying to avoid.

Is it a Lollipop issue? Star Wars Commander issue? I say it's both. Star Wars Commander probably isn't written to use ART properly and Lollipop isn't error handling or recovering from it well. I'm no Dev so this is pure speculation and just my guess.

Moral of the story, look past just the OS and look at the apps that may be causing the issue as well.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I've actually narrowed down my Lollipop battery issues to a single app: Star Wars Commander.

I've found that if I launch Star Wars Commander, It causes something in the Android OS to go haywire, run hot, and wreak havoc on my battery and I'm lucky to get 6 hours. If I don't launch Star Wars Commander I can get 12 hours out of my battery easy.

If you look at the battery stats, it shows Android System and Android OS as the major culprits, but not Star Wars Commander. My only workaround is to launch Star Wars Commander, do my thing, and then reboot the phone since the Galaxy S5 Task Manager surely doesn't kill whatever is causing the drain.

For the record, this did not happen with KitKat and I have not done a FDR which I'm trying to avoid.

Is it a Lollipop issue? Star Wars Commander issue? I say it's both. Star Wars Commander probably isn't written to use ART properly and Lollipop isn't error handling or recovering from it well. I'm no Dev so this is pure speculation and just my guess.

Moral of the story, look past just the OS and look at the apps that may be causing the issue as well.

I found this to be true as well, both for Commander, Clash of Clans, and Waze.

This started happening after I upgraded to Lollipop. Since then, I've backed up and restored my phone to new. All is well now, my battery hasn't heated up once and I've seen a significant performance increase and battery life. I'd suggest trying this...it's a pain, but I live in the cloud anyways, so it's not too detrimental. There are several back up solutions as well, both for rooted and un-rooted.

Droid15

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Well I can try. How long can last 1% on your phone? I´ve done factory reset and I get 3% for 1 min at 50% brightness.

anon(5816156)

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

This started happening after I upgraded to Lollipop. Since then, I've backed up and restored my phone to new. All is well now, my battery hasn't heated up once and I've seen a significant performance increase and battery life. I'd suggest trying this...it's a pain, but I live in the cloud anyways, so it's not too detrimental. There are several back up solutions as well, both for rooted and un-rooted.

And EyeEm. This app reduces my battery life so much on my Note 4. The battery stats also stated that the Android System consumes it rather than the EyeEm itself.

Good tips. App that allows data apps backup with non-rooted suggestion? :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I tried it but nothing. How much minutes can you last for with 1% battery?
And if you have 5.0 could you please download app Amere and test your battery status please? (in mA)
Thank you!

Here are my stats:

View attachment 163421

View attachment 163422

View attachment 163423

View attachment 163420

View attachment 163424

I use GSAM Battery monitor app and I believe it will do exactly what you are looking for. Please note, in general the S5 has fantastic battery life. Most of the issues folks are experiencing since the beginning of February is due to the lollipop update. Once Samsung/Google, and/or the carriers get a fix out things will go back to normal.. My wife and I both have S5's and ours are running just as good as before lollipop after cache clearing and factory reset. No issues.

Good luck with your battery issue.

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up. You give me hope that a FDR will actually be worthwhile. I've seen plenty of posts where people did a FDR with no change. I'll give it a shot and post back on the results. It may not be for a week or so though until I can get to it.

Droid15

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Okay, so I tried the power saving mode, and nothing happened. Even with black and white screen. Huge drain from doing basic stuff.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I need to do the factory reset, but I'm worried about my backup and restore. I want to do a backup right before I do the factory reset. How do I make sure that I get the latest update?

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

OMG! I just did a factory reset and now I can't figure out how to restore from a back up! PLEASE HELP!

rebeldee

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site

I've had the same problems, tried power saving etc etc. I unplug my phone from the charger and immediately it's down to 97%. I can exchange half a dozen messages on whatsapp and the phone is so hot I can hardly hold it.

Keep getting the "contacts" warning, and messages both on messenger and whatsapp are taking forever to send. I'm also getting the "connected to wireless" message every few minutes and it wakes my phone up, so that's draining even more of my battery. I made one call yesterday and exchanged 6 messages and it was on 8% battery by teatime.

Before updating to 5.0 it was absolutely fine, now I might as well not have a phone!

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

WIFI known issue do the following
From the Home screen
Tap Settings.
Tap WiFi.
upper right tap the three dots and tap advanced
Untick the checkbox next to Smart network switch.
your WIFI should now stop cycling on and off.

I just disabled all of my unneeded Amazon and Google apps. such as Amazon streaming, kindle, Google music etc. if you don't need these disable them. it made a HUGE improvement for me. FYI disabling some of these you get a warning about uninstalling updates to the app. Thats fine just do it. I had a battery hit after upgrading. Not as severe as some have reported. did the wipe cache but not factory rest. Got a little better. After disabling apps I got home yesterday with 72% available. I have GPS and BT enabled all day with a smart watch synced the whole time. LTE connection all day and screen at 40%. Way better than pre lollipop. I can only attribute this to disabling unneeded apps that are running in the background.

captfbgnet

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Many folks on several forums have isolated the 'battery drain' issue (among others I guess) to the Facebook AND Messenger apps. I use neither, so I'm no help here. Might try Google search for more information about it.

John Skelton

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
+1 for similar problems as experienced above:
  • battery typically running at 40c plus
  • drains from 100% charged in around 4-6 hours
  • no abnormal usage patterns in settings/battery, settings/wifi or application usage in general
  • typically highest power consumption is Android system
  • ...oh, and the worst one...
  • intermittent!

Given that the problem is intermittent, I'm certain that this is s/w, not h/w - something is starting up that is maxing out background processes. This is principally since upgrading.
  • I tried installing some task/battery managers but they haven't helped isolate the problem .
  • I had switched to the Google 'WizHome' interface. Switching back to Samsung default seems to have helped a bit.
  • I was going to ask if anyone knew of a better task management app that could provide more detail, but given the threads above, it seems like it's a case of sitting tight until an upgrade/patch comes out.

John

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Well, I finally bit the bullet and did a Factory Data Reset. The overheating issues have gone away and the battery is definitely better. Star Wars Commander must have just been a catalyst for issues from the rolling upgrade. The FDR was for sure a pain and took a few hours to get everything downloaded, installed, and configured, but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined and definitely worth it.

If you are having overheating/battery issues since the upgrade, I recommend FDR pronto. You'll thank yourself later as I wish I had done it earlier.