GS5 Pixelated Photos

Kylezachary

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
So I went sight seeing today and thought I would take some nice photos of the mountains, perhaps ones I could use as a background on my pc. Obviously a phone camera isn't going to compare to a nice dslr, but I expected better than this. I took photos on the highest resolution, and I also took panoramic shots at the highest resolution. One panoramic shot for example ended up with a resolution of 9536x1744. And the standard non panoramic shots also have resolutions much higher than 1080p. Yet when I open them up on my computer gallery if I zoom in to fill my 1080p screen, they are very pixelated and poor quality. I did notice that even some of the larger panoramic shots were only about 4mb which seems small to me for such high resolutions. And some of the standard photos were only 1mb. Is my phone compressing these photos? What is going on?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
if I zoom in ... they are very pixelated and poor quality.
That's to be expected. Changing the size of a picture degrades the quality. If you had to change the size of the picture ("zoom in") to fill the screen, either the pixels were being made larger or some of them were artifacts. Data can be neither created nor destroyed, remember?

Kylezachary

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I understand that. I guess my question is... Why do I have to zoom when I open it up on my computer? Why does a 4000x2000 resolution photo have to be zoomed in to fit on a 1920x1080 resolution monitor? Why does a 4000x2000 image look pixelated on a 1920x1080 monitor?