My Galaxy S5 has developed a strange battery life issue. It appears to drain -fast- all of a sudden. A couple months ago, I could get a full day out of it with heavy use. Now it dies halfway through my workday. It also dives quickly in spurts--I've had it go from 20% to shutoff in 5 minutes.

Even more strange: when it dies, I'll plug it in, and the display shows a charging percentage, but when I turn it on, the percentage is radically different. Yesterday I turned it on when it displayed 7%, and when it finished booting, it showed 53%!

It's not the battery, I've tried two different ones, one of which has seen very little use. I haven't installed any new apps, the list of running services shows nothing unusual, and the battery section of the settings lists only the system, OS, and display. Any ideas?
    02-25-2015 12:26 PM
    Hmm.. Clear your cache & see if that helps ( it couldn't hurt ).
    02-25-2015 12:59 PM
    Have you recently updated the phone to Lollipop 5.0?
    Have you also tried clearing the Cache/Misc data files in storage?
    After updating my GS5 I found my phone got terrible battery life, since then I've gone back to KitKat.

You could try installing the Battery Doctor app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...or_en&hl=en_GB
    Crude it may seem, but it definitely boosted my phones battery.
    02-25-2015 01:05 PM
    It maybe a pain in the ****, but do a factory reset. I worked for me. My battery was draining so fast it was hot. With the Task Manager empty, I put the phone on the table and didn't touch for 4 hours. The battery went for 99% to 35% in 4 hours. That's when I said screw it and reset the phone. Back to my full day battery life.

P.S. It doesn't fix the alarm bug though.
    02-25-2015 02:24 PM
    I haven't updated to Lollipop. I tried clearing the cache and Battery Doctor. No good. I'm not ready to factory reset.

It's not just that the battery is draining fast, it's that it's draining nonsensically. Just now it powered off when Android reported the battery life as being at 20%. I plugged it in, and it showed 9% charged in 2 minutes. I powered it on and the status bar immediately showed 63% charged. Do you think it's a hardware failure?
    02-27-2015 02:40 PM
    Hmm. Possibly, but hardware is always (in my case anyway) the least likely of all to cause problems (like this)
    Saying that, it still could be a hardware related issue.

Like tsweeney said, you could try a factory reset, making sure you've backed up all your data.
    I'd try the reset, or even buy another battery.. I'd Contact the carrier/manufacture as a last resort.
    02-27-2015 02:56 PM