Amateur noob having trouble trying to sideload apps on my unrooted Verizon Galaxy S5 running lollipop 5.0. I have the unknown sources box checked, I install things from the Samsung store with no problems. So, from my phone, with chrome browser, I downloaded the APK file for Facebook lite from apk mirror website. Then I went to my stock file manager and found that file in the download folder obviously, which is on the internal memory. I click on it, and it seems to show the proper screen; name of the app, "do you want to install this application? It will get access to:...." and it lists all of the permissions. So I read and scroll down then the options are "cancel" and "install". So obviously I try to click on the install button, but absolutely nothing happens. It's not a delayed response, no different if I long touch. Nothing. Yet if I click cancel it works immediately. So I tried moving the file to the SD card memory and got the same results. I can't figure it out. I've tried Googling and it get no good results, everything just shows the regular method that I'm using already. I can't find anything specific for this phone in case that's why it's not working. I've tried sideloading before a while back and had the same problem on 4.4.4. What am I doing wrong?

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-27-2015 04:15 PM
    1) You're doing all the steps right. If everything else is working, that should install your apk file. Install App Backup & Restore (it's good to have anyway, to back up your apps, so you don't have to spend time downloading them again if you need to - and if the "new and improved" version you get in an update is really "new and useless", you can uninstall it and install the one you have backed up.) Install some free app that you don't care about. Back it up. (If you look in AB&R's folder, you'll see an apk file for that app.) Uninstall the app. Now go to the AB&R folder, tap the apk file and you'll see it install.

2) Installing a large app can take over a minute. It may be show no response for 15 seconds. 3 minutes with nothing happening on the screen? I'd say the apk file is bad, or it's for a version of the app that won't install on your phone or with your version of Android. This is why you're told to only download (and/or install) apps from known-good sources. (And why the known-good sources have to know the device you're installing the app on - so they can send you the version that works on your device.) Aside from the illegality of downloading an apk for free that you're supposed to pay for (and you can do that on a lot of those sites), many of those files are full of malware.

If you don't want to use the Play Store or Samsung, use Amazon's Appstore. (There are a couple of other known good ones, but they all have the same apps, the same ones are free and the paid ones are the same price.) If you're looking to get paid apps for free, install AppGratis (it runs every day and shows you the Play Store's free app of the day) or Free App Notifier for Amazon's free app of the day. Install Google Opinion Rewards - you can earn a few dollars a month, enough to buy a few apps a month. (And I got my $15 Office clone free as the Appstore's free app of the day app.)
    ajmccloud likes this.
    02-27-2015 04:43 PM
    Thank you very much, that's some good and useful advice. I'm in the US and trying to install an app that's not available for US consumers, Facebook Lite. On the play store it says "this app is not available in your country" As you stated that might be why it's not working but that doesn't explain why the APK file is available on a site that is in all English language considering that the app is supposedly only available in Asia and Africa if I remember right. Perhaps it's not optimized for lollipop yet, being that "3rd world" markets likely aren't running a lot of lollipop devices yet. But I want that app instead of the "full version" Facebook app. I want something faster, less data plan consuming, hogs less phone memory (140 mb app + 100 mb app data) versus the light version being only 0.27 mb. Isn't there a way to get it to work? You said it may take a moment for the screen to change, again it's a very small app, but I did try again and waited very patiently for several minutes and still no change. I'm going to try that app backup you recommended and try installing an apk file that way to ensure that much works on my phone to rule that out. Also the two free app notifier apps you mentioned sound handy so I'll give them a try too.

02-28-2015 12:06 PM
    So I tried exactly what you suggested. I used the same app, backed up a petty app, and uninstalled it from the system app manager. Then I went to install the APK and still nothing. Any ideas?

02-28-2015 06:31 PM