08-07-2017 12:25 PM
53 123
tools
    Hi I was having the same issue and I went into settings then sound then call and there was a feature that blocks background noise checked..I unchecked that and now my phone is fine and everyone can hear me normal hope this helps!!
    Worked Thanks
    12-05-2015 11:13 AM
    Some things to remember when other human beings report you mic volume issues on an Android phone (and especially Samsung Galaxy models):
    1) Microphone holes get clumsy and should be cleaned at least 2-3 times per year. If you don't know how to recognize a mic hole, ask someone to locate it/them for you. The hole has to be cleaned with a very tiny part such as a paper clip or hairpin.

2) If using a wired headset with a microphone (external microphone scenario) :
    - Test the headset on another device, preferably an iPhone. Most human manufacturers prioritize their products towards the iPhone and as you may guess, Apple has its own connector, even for headphones: they look the same until you look closer. To make sure you did not end up with an iPhone cable: test it on an iPhone.
    - When testing, hide the phone under some sound isolation setup (under some heavy human clothing or human bed sheets) when you do your mic test. Most humans aren't smart enough to realize that when testing their headset, it's actually the phone mic that is recording their voice, so they "think" the headset is working.

3) If using a wireless headset (such as Bluetooth connected) with a microphone (another external microphone scenario) :
    - For calls made using the phone native calling system: follow the same procedure as above.
    - For calls made using a 3rd party installed app (F Messenger, G Voice, Viber, Skype, Talk, WeChat, etc.) : forget it. 99% Android phones do not "hear" from a Bluetooth mic. Again, most humans just think it worked at some time because they had their phone lying somewhere close-by and the phone mic was actually recording their voice.
    - Alternatively, the workaround when using Bluetooth headsets is to keep the phone close to you...(sadly).
    01-10-2016 04:39 AM
    Also check if TTY is enabled at the top of the screen.

If it so, tap on phone (located at the lower left) as you make a call tap on menu or the 3 dots on vertical at the left then tap settings tap call tap additional settings tap TTY Mode and tap TTY Off.

Now make a call to your family and enjoyed

Regards
    01-26-2016 10:47 PM
    Was about to ditch S5 until I solved problem using this easy solution. If microphone is only quiet during normal calls and works fine on loudspeaker and using voice recorder then don't risk permanently damaging mic by poking pins in it or drilling out the hole. Problem is a software issue.
    If you have ever used the earpiece with built in mic and pulled out the jack before the call was ended the S5 will not reset the mic gain back to normal, hence why your contacts can hardly hear you. To solve issue plug earpiece with mic back in, make a call, end call and then pull out jack. S5 will then reset gain to normal level.
    02-01-2016 04:42 AM
    Here is how.
    Drill the mic hole (by hand, very gently) with 2mm drill bit to depth of 2.5mm. keep checking you have not hit the mic.

Finally u can use the phone now...
    That actually worked quite well!
    02-24-2016 06:41 AM
    I'm on my third Galaxy S5 now, with this problem! Whether I use speakerphone or not, people say I sound muffled and they can barely hear me! I called Verizon today and they had me try the voice recorder and it sounds PERFECT when playing back, but the phone calls are horrible!

And about 6 months ago, I took a pointed Xacto knife and carved out the mic hole very nicely. Didn't work! Turning off the noise cancellation has never worked!

Tell me this - I had this idea today: Are any of you at higher altitudes? I'm in Denver at around 5700 feet and about 12% less air pressure, and we notice that bags of snacks that are packed at sea level will balloon some, when they get here. I was wondering about the mic - if it was doing that, but like I said, the voice recorder playback is perfect!
    03-28-2016 10:32 PM
    I'm on my third Galaxy S5 now, with this problem! Whether I use speakerphone or not, people say I sound muffled and they can barely hear me! I called Verizon today and they had me try the voice recorder and it sounds PERFECT when playing back, but the phone calls are horrible!

And about 6 months ago, I took a pointed Xacto knife and carved out the mic hole very nicely. Didn't work! Turning off the noise cancellation has never worked!

Tell me this - I had this idea today: Are any of you at higher altitudes? I'm in Denver at around 5700 feet and about 12% less air pressure, and we notice that bags of snacks that are packed at sea level will balloon some, when they get here. I was wondering about the mic - if it was doing that, but like I said, the voice recorder playback is perfect!
    I'm at normal altitudes and have the same issue as you. None of these solutions are working and they're all the same 3 fixes. Software issues probably. A week ago my brother said I was too loud over the phone. But now I have no voice besides speakerphone. Hmmm... Somethings not quite right here.
    04-02-2016 02:00 AM
    And then people in these forums keep telling me that they've had the same S5 for YEARS and it's great. I wonder if some of them are employees at Samsung. But being I've been through 3 of these, what next? Someone suggested the S6 but I don't even know if it would be any different, and *I* have to keep paying for it!
    04-02-2016 10:44 AM
    If you have ever used the earpiece with built in mic and pulled out the jack before the call was ended the S5 will not reset the mic gain back to normal, hence why your contacts can hardly hear you.
    Wouldn't a reboot solve this, though?
    04-20-2016 07:18 PM
    I vacuum my mic out when people complain, and that has always worked for me, on both of my S5s.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-20-2016 08:05 PM
    Wouldn't a reboot solve this, though?
    No.
    04-20-2016 09:48 PM
    I vacuum my mic out when people complain, and that has always worked for me, on both of my S5s.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I even tried carefully carving the mic hole out with an Xacto knife, but no.

THEN Verizon had me test the voice recorder and it was clear and sharp. But people on the phone say they cant hear me, I'm muffled, like talking in a tunnel.
    04-20-2016 09:50 PM
    Hi,

I have Mic issues during phone calls and I have not been able to solve them so far. Like for others in this thread nobody can hear me when I make normal phone calls (bottom mic) but they hear me fine if I use loudspeaker (top mic). People can hear me if I use a earpiece with built in mic, but they cannot when I use my moto helmet bluetooth. I tried the voice recorder and while it records very nicely in "interview mode", my voice is very weak in the "voice note" mode. So one of my guesses is that there is a problem with the gain of the bottom mic (although that would not explain why I have a problem with my bluetooth!). I have tried several things that did not work:
    -Tried updating ROM (now running stock 6.0.1)
    -Factory reset
    -removing the protecting plug from the bottom mic
    -using a headset with mic and ending the call
    Nothing worked so far. Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot
    Asier
    04-21-2016 08:40 AM
    Hi,

I have Mic issues during phone calls and I have not been able to solve them so far. Like for others in this thread nobody can hear me when I make normal phone calls (bottom mic) but they hear me fine if I use loudspeaker (top mic). People can hear me if I use a earpiece with built in mic, but they cannot when I use my moto helmet bluetooth. I tried the voice recorder and while it records very nicely in "interview mode", my voice is very weak in the "voice note" mode. So one of my guesses is that there is a problem with the gain of the bottom mic (although that would not explain why I have a problem with my bluetooth!). I have tried several things that did not work:
    -Tried updating ROM (now running stock 6.0.1)
    -Factory reset
    -removing the protecting plug from the bottom mic
    -using a headset with mic and ending the call
    Nothing worked so far. Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot
    Asier
    Nothing has worked for me. I've had it!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...ml#post5139511
    04-21-2016 07:00 PM
    I was pretty desperate and I actually changed out the Mic board (yes, it is the last item you touch if you tear the phone apart). It didn't help. So, don't do that as your first choice. Going back to other possible solutions now. This is VERY frustrating. I can't believe that Samsung is not jumping in here with some sort of solution.
    04-26-2016 12:16 PM
    No, I won't mess with the insides. Does anyone know how to get Samsung to own up to this and compensate me for all the money it's cost me?

Any attorneys doing a lawsuit over this?

I paid for the original phone - the S5, THEN had to pay the $100 insurance copay for the replacement, and NOW will have to time-pay for the G5 to replace it again! I'm probably out something like $800 above the original phone!
    04-26-2016 12:54 PM
    Hey guys,
    I think I have found a solution that worked for me. I have just bought the phone (S5 Neo) and it immediately had this problem out of the box. The solution for me was to go to Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode and then switch from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM.
    07-01-2016 05:26 AM
    goto Settings - Sound and Notifications - Other Sounds - Call uncheck the box for Noise Reduction (suppress background noise during calls).

worked like a champ for me credit to "Kristin Thone-Way "
    07-09-2016 02:51 PM
    I tried cleaning with a safty pin, i tried air, i tried reboot, i tried battery removal, i tried restarting etc. I went into settings on voice recorder and changed it from "Normal" to either "Conversation" or "interview" (either one). Placed a phone call and it worked and suddenly i could also record memos too. Clear too. Hope that helps.
    07-16-2016 06:06 PM
    I have the same issue. I tried everything on this thread nothing worked! I use a safety pin nothing. I tried removing the back nothing.. Even my speaker goes out sometime.. I don't know what to do. I'm all out of ideals.

Hey guys,
    I think I have found a solution that worked for me. I have just bought the phone (S5 Neo) and it immediately had this problem out of the box. The solution for me was to go to Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode and then switch from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM.
    07-17-2016 08:33 PM
    Hi,, i Solved the problem
    I had exactly the same problem, mic was working fine on voice recording but problem was during calls only,,
    i tried every suggestion found on internet. but non worked for me, Im using Huawei Y pro,

Solution : what worked for me was to save all my data in Laptop and factory reset the phone.
    Now no one complains
    07-28-2016 01:32 AM
    Whenever i am on the phone to someone, they always complain that they cannot hear me, or can hear my but my voice kind of sounds like i am a mile away from the phone. Sometimes its okay but 95% of the time they complain.

At first i thought maybe its their connection but it happens with almost everyone.

"I cant hear you"
    "am i on speaker phone?"
    "move your phone closer"
    "what the hell are you doing.." lol

I am not sure what it is either software issue or hardware. Comparing to another s5 in my family there is certainly a difference between the quality of sound between the 2 same devices. I purchased the phone used locally and it came with 5.0 lollipop already installed. I dont know whether it is an issue with the software or hardware.I have call recorder on my phone, when someone complains about they cannot hear me i just cut the phone and ring back, but a few times i cut it right away when they cant hear me and i listen back to the recorded call and i can hear myself fine on there??? so why cant they hear me?

I got a call from the local phone repair shop to go collect my other samsung device, and soon as they rang me they were like hello hello, and when i went instore i asked did you have trouble hearing me they said yes, i asked would i need to get this booked in too for repairs, answer was yes and for free as its still under samsung warranty.

My problem is that i dont want to do a factory reset to see if that makes the problem go, as its too much hassle transferring my files across, have loads of pics on there in different folders and it takes agggges to transfer across.. i do not trust moving them to my memory card as i already made that mistake and my mem card went corrupt. Rather than trying this reset id just rather buy another replacement phone and transfer files over and then reset this faulty device... money is not an issue so i can afford to do this not a problem.
    I had the same issue and fixed it by cleaning the mic with a small pin. There was sand inside.
    08-27-2016 09:12 AM
    "Drill the mic hole (by hand, very gently) with 2mm drill bit to depth of 2.5mm. keep checking you have not hit the mic."

At first, I thought this was a joke.

I did everything else under the sun.

1. Turn the phone off and back on.
    2. Delete all other apps I installed.
    3. Turn the phone off, remove sim card and battery, wait forever, and turn on.
    4. home button + power button + volume up button and clear the cache.
    5. Factory reset (aaaargh!!!)
    6. Pin in the mic hole.
    7. Blow into the mic hole.

I can say without a doubt that the only solution was the drill bit. I know because I tested the phone after every single one of those steps.

I used a 1/16" bit which is about 1.56mm. I used my fingers to gently twist the bit and pull out over and over again. I got at least 1/4" inside. I did not damage the phone.

It works now.

Thanks so much for having the cojones to try using a drill bit. I can't imagine how much time I would have to waste at the Verizon store with dumb looks and my phone out of commission for I don't know how long!

Cheers!
    09-02-2016 09:27 PM
    I had the same problem. Cleaning out the mic with a pin, solved the issue for me. Thank you, helped a lot.
    09-20-2016 11:07 AM
    I was having the same problem with my Galaxy S5 where everyone was having trouble hearing me, I un-ticked the noise reduction box in the sound/call settings and the problem is fixed.
    11-07-2016 01:02 AM
53 123