S5 Mic issues during phone calls!!

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Whenever i am on the phone to someone, they always complain that they cannot hear me, or can hear my but my voice kind of sounds like i am a mile away from the phone. Sometimes its okay but 95% of the time they complain.

At first i thought maybe its their connection but it happens with almost everyone.

"I cant hear you"
"am i on speaker phone?"
"move your phone closer"
"what the hell are you doing.." lol

I am not sure what it is either software issue or hardware. Comparing to another s5 in my family there is certainly a difference between the quality of sound between the 2 same devices. I purchased the phone used locally and it came with 5.0 lollipop already installed. I dont know whether it is an issue with the software or hardware.I have call recorder on my phone, when someone complains about they cannot hear me i just cut the phone and ring back, but a few times i cut it right away when they cant hear me and i listen back to the recorded call and i can hear myself fine on there??? so why cant they hear me?

I got a call from the local phone repair shop to go collect my other samsung device, and soon as they rang me they were like hello hello, and when i went instore i asked did you have trouble hearing me they said yes, i asked would i need to get this booked in too for repairs, answer was yes and for free as its still under samsung warranty.

My problem is that i dont want to do a factory reset to see if that makes the problem go, as its too much hassle transferring my files across, have loads of pics on there in different folders and it takes agggges to transfer across.. i do not trust moving them to my memory card as i already made that mistake and my mem card went corrupt. Rather than trying this reset id just rather buy another replacement phone and transfer files over and then reset this faulty device... money is not an issue so i can afford to do this not a problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can people hear you if you're on speakerphone, or using a wired or Bluetooth headset? If so, then there's a problem with the phone's mic. Check to make sure the mic opening isn't blocked by something.

ahj4513

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This happens to me too. Strange thing is, when I use the voice recording app, it's fine. I am guessing it's a network related iasue since this only happens when I am in a call.

Posted via Android Central App

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Can people hear you if you're on speakerphone, or using a wired or Bluetooth headset? If so, then there's a problem with the phone's mic. Check to make sure the mic opening isn't blocked by something.

Yes they can but sometimes its still the same even on speakerphone they have trouble hearing me after a while..there is nothing covering the mic, i use cases most the time, and when someone complains i do check again if anything is covering, even if it isnt covered i take the case off and its still the same. defo mic problem i guess

Krack-Berri

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
This happens to me too. Strange thing is, when I use the voice recording app, it's fine. I am guessing it's a network related iasue since this only happens when I am in a call.

Posted via Android Central App

Its nothing to do with my network, i still have my old s4 and while talking to a friend the other night i switched my sim over from my s5 to s4 and the call quality was amazing and perfect other end had no trouble hearing me was on phone for a few hours, plus my own earphone was very loud and clear! the s5 is quiet and mumbles alot.

have too much love for my s4, but dont trust it now after its memory card reader gave me problems :(

naggler

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had this same issue since I got my phone last July. It works fine when on speakerphone, but if I try to talk normally with the phone to my ear, half the time people have issues hearing me.

I did a factory reset, still no luck. I called the samsung help line and tried their "speaker test" which was recording video with sound and it worked fine. So I didn't send it in because I didn't feel like paying if they found no issues. To this day I have to use speakerphone, bluetooth, or headset. I hate it.

Let me know if you figure it out.

vvickii

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, I've my s5 since June last year and have the same issue. Nobody can hear me, all they can here is themselves echoing back. Today I finally found a resolution after doing everything including factory reset. It's not ideal but try taking off the back of your phone and making a call. Quality is perfect for me. I've put phone back in the case without the back and it's perfect. No longer waterproof but it'll do!! Hope this helps.

Ian Allish

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue but in a different way. People can hear me fine when I'm talking to them phone to ear but on speaker phone with the phone right beside my face people complain they cannot hear me ever since I got the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kristin Thone-Way

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi I was having the same issue and I went into settings then sound then call and there was a feature that blocks background noise checked..I unchecked that and now my phone is fine and everyone can hear me normal :) hope this helps!!

soards85

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I know this sounds silly but i ended up poking a small safety pin into the microphone hole gently. i use s5mini and the hole is situated near the charging port on bottom of the handset. once a small amount of debris had come out it worked fine again

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
S5 also _O_
Mine is behaving like this ... tried reset ,no case,clearing cache, disable (noise cancellation, talk back, ok google)
People say my voice is low on normal calls. it's only good if talk directly on the bottom mic hole.
On speaker phone people can't hear me at all, unless i speak directly on the upper mic hole(the quality is **** but they can hear me)

some say using a pin to clean the mic hole will void the water proofing and the warranty on the phone is it true ? ( because there is a membrane covering the mic, and a pin would puncture it)

Samsung galaxy S5 it's expensive ugly piece of s$#.hit...that can't even make decent calls . There are so many posts like these on the internet ... it's ridiculous
it costed me almost $600 assistance here is crap they will take a month just to look at the phone

Last edited:

Irfaan Harris

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I fixed this problem.
I will call it - how to turn your S5 into a Phone.
Who needs a Smart box with a warranty - that is not a phone. Samsung should have recalled the device.
Again dont talk to me about Warranty being vioded. Warranty for What? it is not a phone, but an expensive browzer. that keeps saying close the back cover...

Here is how.
Drill the mic hole (by hand, very gently) with 2mm drill bit to depth of 2.5mm. keep checking you have not hit the mic.

Finally u can use the phone now...

JWMNH

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
My S5 AND my son's S5 both have the same problem. People can hear you for the first second or two. Then it becomes increasingly difficult for people to hear me speaking as the call time moves on, getting to a point where they can't hear you and hang up on you. Phones are just over a year old.

JDStud6

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Wouldn't the normal mode mic and speakerphone mic be the same mic???

I mostly use my phone in the car so bluetooth works fine. I've also used a plug-in headset and that works fine. Additionally, when I'm at home I most often use speakerphone, which works fine.

The only issue I have is when I hold the phone to my ear. I tried it last night and my wife said she could barely hear me. Then I used google voice to call her from my phone and she said the same. I tried several suggestions including:

1 - wiping system cache
2 - removing the back cover
3 - blowing out the mic hole

None seem to have fixed the problem. It's freaking weird!

JD

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that phones with stereo mics often use the secondary mic for speakerphone (or, at least, they can use both mics for the speakerphone, which means if one of them isn't working, the other person can still hear you with the other mic).

If there's something lodged in the primary mic opening, you might not be able to blow it out. You could consider using the tip of a needle and carefully scrape out anything that might be in there. But don't go too deep, or or else you might damage the mic.

clmeister

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I fixed the problem instantly by poking a small safety pin in to the very small pinhead microphone hole. The mic hole for standard phone conversations is located on the bottom of the phone to the left of the charging port. The hole is very small, hard to see. As such, it can very easily become plugged or blocked with debris. (A small needle would work, don't use anything bigger than the hole)

I had the same problem with mic when on phone calls with two different Galaxy s5. Only happened when on phone call and started with intermittent problems with people being unable to hear me them escalated soon to not being heard. If I used the speaker phone or headset they could hear me. 1st phone I worked with my provider and the vendor (Samsung) to diagnose. They never suggested a possible plugged mic hole, but after* some minimal testing they determined it was a bad phone mic and replaced my phone at a small cost to me as it was still under warranty.* The 2nd phone, it happened again after about a year. I thought it was sure coincidental it happened again. We have 3 family members with these phones and it happened to me twice and not the others. I decided to search the Internet on the issue and apparently the problem is not uncommon. It was through this thread that I saw another poster who said they poked a pin in the mic hole which cleared debris. I decided to try that as it made sense. Fixed problem immediately, I can be heard loud and clear. Took seconds. Everyone should try this and Samsung needs to know that is likely the problem needed to fix this common issue. It wouldn't take much at all to block that hole.

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I vacuum mine out from time to time. Also, my case makes it horrible sometimes, so I just take it off and it fixes it the rest of the way.

Posted via the Android Central App