05-26-2018 05:44 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    So I guess there's no solution for this annoying issue. As I sit here and move a dozen apps back to the SD card for about the hundredth time...
    pearly86 likes this.
    11-12-2015 07:34 AM
    So I guess there's no solution for this annoying issue. As I sit here and move a dozen apps back to the SD card for about the hundredth time...
    It is quite cumbersome...there is no fix unfortunately. My next phone will have 32GB minimum onboard storage, 16GB just doesn't cut it anymore
    zita williams likes this.
    11-12-2015 09:29 AM
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime and a Samsung Galaxy Light (both on Metro Service).

The Prime is running 5.1 (Lollipop) and the Light is running 4.4.2 (KitKat). On Lollipop I experience the same issue that everyone else is discussing. I do not experience that issue on my KitKat, any Apps that I’ve moved to my SD card are auto moved back to the SD card whenever they are updated.

It does seem to be something with the Lollipop OS.
    1LittleFox likes this.
    11-17-2015 10:12 AM
    Great call to provide feedback through the Play Store. I just did, thanks.
    11-17-2015 11:59 AM
    This is a claw-your-own-eyes-out level of frustration.

The same problem exists with S4 - plus the added issue of data transfer speeds that are so slow - it can take 10 mins just to move Facebook to SD card, 10 mins to download and install the next update, 10 mins to move that update back to the SD card. What a waste of time.
    zita williams and aidanjhorn like this.
    11-25-2015 02:52 PM
    I came here for this issue too...really disappointed that there isn't a fix. I got the G5 mostly because of the SD expansion option and now I can't really use it. Between these apps moving themselves back to the device and not having the option to move others...my SD card is empty and my phone is always out of memory. I really feel scammed over this.

I think there is a hack to make your SD card the default memory...its sad a hack is my last hope for this phone...
    1LittleFox, ASN99 and ChiefDog like this.
    01-09-2016 08:40 AM
    Only suggestion I can give is to get All-in-One Toolbox. Yes it's one of the dreaded memory cleaner/booster programs. But one of the things it can do is batch app2sd. It just speeds up the process by bringing up the "Move this app to the SD card?" prompts for all the apps back-to-back without a pause.
    01-09-2016 02:45 PM
    Unfortunately I can't post the link without 10 previous posts, but has anyone tried the adb process to fix this? Google 'fixedbyvonnie install android apps sd card default'.
    01-18-2016 09:17 AM
    Unfortunately I can't post the link without 10 previous posts, but has anyone tried the adb process to fix this? Google 'fixedbyvonnie install android apps sd card default'.
    If I had another S5 to test on, I would try this.

Here's the link for anyone will to test:
    How to install Android apps to your SD card by default - fixedByVonnie

Odd that this would not require rooting, but I am not very familiar with rooting anymore, haven't done so since 2011...
    01-19-2016 01:22 PM
    FYI, it affects HTC devices as well with the updates to Lollipop. Driving me nuts because I'm constantly running out of memory and moving things BACK to the SD card that self migrated in the night during updates.
    01-27-2016 10:28 PM
    Be careful when running apps from the SD card. eMMC storage is designed to be written to a lot (which apps do to the location they install to). SD cards aren't. So the card won't last as long as internal storage does. And if your data is on the SD card when it goes, and you don't back up your data, you'll lose it.
    01-28-2016 12:46 AM
    Be careful when running apps from the SD card. eMMC storage is designed to be written to a lot (which apps do to the location they install to). SD cards aren't. So the card won't last as long as internal storage does. And if your data is on the SD card when it goes, and you don't back up your data, you'll lose it.
    The SD card life cycle is far greater than that of the phone itself though, so use and abuse it. Keep your priority data in the cloud so in the unlikely event of an SD card failure, you're pertinent data is backed up.
    AXEL314 likes this.
    01-28-2016 09:51 AM
    Technically in reading of his words " I would of" when read literally, would be a contraction and be spelled out as "would've".
    I know this is old and not an English class but I just couldn't resist getting in on this one.
    Do neither should of, will of, or would of as verbs. Write could have, should have, will have, or would have. If you want to emphasize the pronunciation, write it as a verb contraction: could've, should've, or would've, all contractions using "have" as " 've ".

That was fun.
    1LittleFox likes this.
    02-06-2016 05:23 AM
    Anyone know if this issue continued with Marshmallow OS and specifically on the S7? If it does I'm likely just going to buy a 128GB S6 vs going to the S7. That way I avoid it all together. Only issue then is getting music on but transferring via a cable once in a blue moon isn't any worse than needing to copy to an SD card.
    BlurryEyed likes this.
    03-05-2016 12:09 AM
    I would also like to know if this is on Marshmallow!
    03-09-2016 12:04 PM
    Yes, unfortunately the issue is still here with Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and Android 6.0.1.
    shadowsjc likes this.
    03-15-2016 07:00 AM
    I just learned that this is indeed still a problem on 6.0....and even with this new Adopted Storage feature which treats the card as internal storage, you STILL have to move the apps back after updates. What's the freaking point of adopted storage then?!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-16-2016 12:03 PM
    I just learned that this is indeed still a problem on 6.0....and even with this new Adopted Storage feature which treats the card as internal storage, you STILL have to move the apps back after updates. What's the freaking point of adopted storage then?!

To use Adoptive Storage would require users to back up all data on their existing SD cards and reformat the cards to Adoptive Storage before replacing the data. Those cards would then be linked only to that device and not interchangeable with other devices. Samsung took the view that this was just asking for trouble... I mean, can you just imagine the threads about that!

However, you can still activate the, "Adoptive Storage", feature on the S7's by following these instructions...

How To Set Up Adoptable Storage On Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge Without Rooting Your Device
    03-16-2016 12:27 PM
    Yea but I still find the feature pointless. You can manage your storage better by treating the card as a separate storage location. Most apps allow you to choose where to store data.

Adopted storage will also hit performance as it's limited to the speed of the card. The fastest cards aren't going to be near as fast as onboard storage.

03-16-2016 02:03 PM
    To be honest BlurryEyed, I haven't bothered converting my SD card to Adoptive Storage on Marshmallow, for exactly the reasons you have stated.
    03-16-2016 02:51 PM
    Same problem here.
    And I wrote a script to help me with this. https://gist.github.com/dkw72n/18342594b9f76c5234ca
    It allows you moving your apps back to the SD card batchly.
    But still you need to do this manually.
    03-26-2016 09:42 AM
    Use app2sd to move multiple files at once to sd card. Need root. I hate how laggy and flaky my phone has become after installing a 64gb card and various apps.
    03-26-2016 02:54 PM
    Yea but I still find the feature pointless.
    As as advertising feature, it's quite a new notion. As a technical feature
    it's about as useless as a watch with no battery. After all, it's going to be right twice a day.

Adopted storage will also hit performance as it's limited to the speed of the card. The fastest cards aren't going to be near as fast as onboard storage.
    Not true at all. The interface to the external card on a particular phone may not be as fast as the interface to internal storage, but the interface from my Android 2 phone to its internal storage is a LOT slower than a current phone's interface to its external storage. (And there's no reason the external and internal buses can't be the same speed on the same phone.) The "onboard RAM is always faster than off-chip RAM" adage is from about 1980. And about as dead on a lot of devices. (And it's about RAM, not EAROM.)
    03-26-2016 07:45 PM
    Whatever dude.

Posted from AC on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V
    03-26-2016 10:41 PM
    The SD card life cycle is far greater than that of the phone itself though, so use and abuse
    This is completely wrong. The irony of SD cards is that for longevity and reliability, they should not be constantly written and rewritten to. I have unmounted my SD card and my S5 is running a lot better now. The way it should. And I don't have to constantly shuffle apps back to the SD card after app updates.
    03-27-2016 06:03 AM
104 1234 ...