05-26-2018 05:44 AM
104 ... 2345
tools
    Hi,
    Here is some info. The card is not bad, and you do not have to move the apps off of the sdcard and onto the phone to update and then back, also you will not have to format the card again!

I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Turn off the phone remove the sdcard and insert it into your pc,laptop, mac sdcard reader slot.

Browse to the card on your computer and look for this directory .android_secure notice the period before the android.
    If you do not see the directory then you need to allow your file manager on your pc to show hidden files since it is hidden by default.
    Now in the directory look for only this file smdl2tmp1.asec
    !!!This file needs to be deleted!!!
    After deleting only that file place the sdcard back into your phone and now all apps are still there and you can now update any of them

I hope this helps anyone out with this problem.
    If you have any questions just ask

Thanks,
    The smdl2tmp1.asec file did not exist in the .andriod_secure directory to begin with. The problem is still occurring; any other ideas?
    07-31-2016 08:58 PM
    Though you can make the SD card your default storage place (from the "Settings-Storage" menu), many applications, specially the free ones, refuse to obey it. They want you to buy the paid version of themselves in order to download on the SD card. It's a way for them to force you to pay them.
    08-04-2016 07:36 AM
    I have yet to find a fix for this. Very annoying indeed.

Equally annoying - not being able to move all apps to SD card at once. I have to do this weekly it seems, app by app.
    On my s4 running kitkat, i was able to move all apps at once. This is a really lame part of either lollipop or the note 4. Not sure which is the culprit.
    08-21-2016 10:31 AM
    Unfortunately my S5 doesn't have the Running, etc feature under Application Manager after the update.
    08-29-2016 08:24 PM
    Unfortunately my S5 doesn't have the Running, etc feature under Application Manager after the update.
    Ditto...
    ChiefDog likes this.
    08-30-2016 03:36 PM
    After reading many of the posts in this thread I would like to add my 2 cents worth and correct some inaccurate info that has been posted. First the issue is not new with the Marshmallow update, it existed in Lolllipop and Kit Kat. and currently should be most prevalent on Samsung devices. I say that because although Samsung has brought back the ability to use an SD card with the S7s & Note 7S they have not made them compatible with a new Marshmallow feature called "adoptable storage" , meaning you can insert an SDcard and select this feature and it basically makes the SD card part of the Internal storage so then this would be a non-issue if handled right. In fact most of the reviews of the m\newer Samsung phones have taken issue with them about not allowing the "adoptable storage" feature to be used. Personally I agree with Samsung as I want my SD Card to be removable so I can transfer it to another device which kind of goes bye bye if you use adoptable storage. That being the case you are left with 2 solutions to this problem, one has already been addressed, i.e. get a phone with enough internal storage that you don't need to move apps to the SD card. This is simple with the new S7 & Note 7 as they have 64GB internal storage which should be enough for most users. For those of us with phones that have limited amounts of Internal Storage I would recommend using an app called All In One Toolbox. It does quite a few useful things for your phone including semi automating the process of moving the apps back to the SD Card. While not perfect it does make the task easier. I have used this app for 2 years and it is wonderful , does not take up a lot of space or use copious amounts of your battery power unlike some similar apps like Clean Master which has been known to eat batteries alive on some phones. FYI I do tech support for smartphones for a major carrier for a living. Also while I do not work for Samsung I will admit I am a huge fan of their high end devices in large part because they build into their Android OS version handy options like a great file manager app, ability to create your own call auto reject list, and also convert any MP3 file on your phone to a ringtone without having to download any 3rd party apps. Also the new s7s and Note 7s have the best camera around and being able to insert up to a 256GB SD Card in them you can use iot to your hearts content.
    09-06-2016 10:59 PM
    Android Toolbox has a way to move them easier than Application Manager.
    09-07-2016 06:52 PM
    I just installed All in One Toolbox and can't find an app manager or other tool there to transfer the apps back to sd card.
    I am using s7 edge... was in a rush when I bought it and ended up with only 32 gigs memory. So I'm running out of memory often. It lets me know when I can't install a new app.
    It's soooo frustrating and time consuming!
    Maybe there is a tool to help doing the transfer faster on All in One but I can't find it. Maybe you could help me?
    09-18-2016 09:58 AM
    Maybe you can help me?
    What is the tool? I can't find it. (I just installed All on One Tool Box.
    09-18-2016 10:01 AM
    Agree, but S5 came with only 16GB memory (for users it is less than 10GB) so we users should have given some privileges. It is really annoying I have reset my phone so many times in since I get it. After couple of months I am out of memory and can not do anything.
    09-18-2016 02:39 PM
    Thanks for the tip to download All-In-One Toolbox. I downloaded it, went to "Toolbox" (top row on lower right) then clicked "app2sd".

It found the apps that I could move to my SD card but when I clicked "Move Selected" I got a dialog box that said "This feature is not available on your device" and then it sent me to Application Manager and I had to do the whole dang process manually anyway.
    09-30-2016 12:54 PM
    Regarding this thread, there is another issue. I just today have put my old SD card on. I had no choice, I culled a bunch of apps and still had only 1.3GB left.

I downloaded AppMgr III and launched it. Out of a hundred apps I installed, I was shocked to find only 16 could be moved. And only a few of those 16 could be moved without widget support and other functions.

I swear it seems as time progresses, there are fewer apps that can be moved to SD. This is probably deliberate I suspect as Google would be discouraging SD support.
    09-30-2016 11:10 PM
    This auto move back to internal from SD on update is still very much a problem on my 32gb S7 Edge running Marshmallow (6.0.1). Having abandoned a 128gb iPhone 6 to convert to Android, I find this incredibly frustrating!

This looks like it's been a recurring problem for years on several versions of Android so why aren't Google/Samsung offering a permanent fix for this? Thought Apple were a bent corporate because they refuse to fix their phones but looks like Google/Samsung are not much better!
    10-02-2016 04:15 AM
    I swear it seems as time progresses, there are fewer apps that can be moved to SD. This is probably deliberate I suspect as Google would be discouraging SD support.
    It's due to the way they're written. Since apps were never supposed to be moved to the SD card, fewer and fewer developers are worrying about it.
    ironass likes this.
    10-02-2016 03:56 PM
    Regarding this thread, there is another issue. I just today have put my old SD card on. I had no choice, I culled a bunch of apps and still had only 1.3GB left.

I downloaded AppMgr III and launched it. Out of a hundred apps I installed, I was shocked to find only 16 could be moved. And only a few of those 16 could be moved without widget support and other functions.

Preinstalled apps can't be moved to SD card. Lack of memory is because of preinstalled crap. For example: Samsung in new models is installing apps from Microsoft and I think they use over 1 GB of internal storage. Normally you could move them to SD, but because they are built into the ROM everyone lacks memory.

I have this issue on Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. It doesn't happen on S4 (5.0.1), Note 4 (6.0.1) and I need to test A5 2016.
    10-08-2016 05:52 AM
    When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)
    It doesn't have to install to the internal storage, because in previous android versions it did not move the apps. Developers changed it, need to change it back. It's also a problem on lg tab 8.3 not just Samsung
    10-13-2016 12:00 PM
    I have the same problem on my LG Spirit 4G LTE which runs Android v6 (Marshmallow) and comes with only 8Gb of internal storage. I didn't fancy formatting the 32Gb microSD card as internal memory, so I've also downloaded All-In-One Toolbox and got the same msg when I tried to use the app2sd tool. But at least I now have a tool that shows me which apps can be moved once they're updated and am taken straight to the screen for moving each app one at a time. So thanks to everyone for their contributions on this forum, I've learnt a lot about my Android OS and will continue to use AOT to get round this annoying flaw. Unless Google & the developers sort this one out I guess I'll have to go for a better phone with more internal storage when I'm due for an upgrade!
    10-14-2016 04:59 AM
    When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)
    Well, maybe they should get redesigned. I'm tired of having to move app after app back on my SD card and storage senselessly being wasted.
    11-27-2016 06:45 PM
    Well, maybe they should get redesigned. I'm tired of having to move app after app back on my SD card and storage senselessly being wasted.
    Welcome to Android Central! You can certainly give that feedback to Google by using the Feedback option in your system settings. Obviously, they can't respond to every single bit of feedback, but at least you have a way of expressing your ideas to them.
    11-27-2016 11:09 PM
    Yeah, I am 100% sure that the Samsung galaxy s3 managed to keep them always in the internal storage.
    12-30-2016 01:56 PM
    Not really. Computers remember things a lot more accurately than we do.
    Computers don't "remember" it's simply written in it
    01-24-2017 02:06 AM
    If you can root your device there are apps that can help you change the default install location
    03-08-2017 07:47 PM
    Hi, just thought id jump in to say that apps on sd card actually now stay put!! Dont ask me why , but i dont now have to fanny about moving them when they update, motorola g2 second gen.
    Still have this issue on my tablet though.
    04-09-2017 02:10 AM
    This is clearly a piece of planned obsolescence by android. constantly forcing apps back to internal memory so your phone slows down and people upgrade their phones. there is no reason that the apps could not be updated and left on the SD card. we should not tolerate this as consumers and i would like to find the right place to raise this issue get it changed. we have paid for these devices and should they should not be interfered with in this way to reduce performance and force us to upgrade when we otherwise wouldnt have to!
    12-22-2017 05:55 PM
    This is clearly a piece of planned obsolescence by android. constantly forcing apps back to internal memory so your phone slows down and people upgrade their phones. there is no reason that the apps could not be updated and left on the SD card. we should not tolerate this as consumers and i would like to find the right place to raise this issue get it changed. we have paid for these devices and should they should not be interfered with in this way to reduce performance and force us to upgrade when we otherwise wouldnt have to!
    See response in your other thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...ml#post6115390
    Pine Sap likes this.
    12-22-2017 10:28 PM
104 ... 2345