Apps on SD card moving back to device after update

leprechaunshawn

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint S5 running stock Lollipop. I have moved any apps that can be to the SD card. Anytime those apps are updated, they move back to the device storage. I got this phone shortly before Sprint pushed the Lollipop update so I cannot say for sure if I was having this issue prior to Lollipop.

Has anybody else had this issue? And found a fix?

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably moves them back to device storage for faster launching - ART (the new runtime) may require it for certain apps.
Not dead certain this is the case, just my best guess...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)

AFirefighter

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)

I know it's a default setting for apps to install to the internal storage device. Is there a way to change this to have the default be the SD card, without rooting the phone?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
So there is no fix for this? We just have to keep moving all the apps each time they update?

I have yet to find a fix for this. Very annoying indeed.

Equally annoying - not being able to move all apps to SD card at once. I have to do this weekly it seems, app by app.

seglea

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually, it did not happen in KitKat - it is a new (and very irritating) phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically Google just keep forgetting about SD cards (probably wish they didn't exist); which is kindof annoying given that their subsidiary, Motorola, is still selling phones that have too little main memory (8Gb) to run effectively without having most of your apps on the SD card.

seglea

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
No, leprechaunshawn's memory is correct - it didn't happen with KitKat. It's a new, and very irritating, phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically I think Google just wish SD cards didn't exist; which is a bit rich given that their subsidiary Motorola sells phones with too little memory (8Gb) to work without using apps from the SD card.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
No, leprechaunshawn's memory is correct - it didn't happen with KitKat. It's a new, and very irritating, phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically I think Google just wish SD cards didn't exist; which is a bit rich given that their subsidiary Motorola sells phones with too little memory (8Gb) to work without using apps from the SD card.

The device manufacturers and carriers are in bed with Google on this one - limit access to removable storage to force us to pay the exorbitant $100 extra to upgrade to a higher level of storage device.

rfoster12

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
That's not odd that you don't remember it, because it didn't do with the previous galaxy s2, s3, s4, and even the first one that I believe was called something 4g. My daughter and I have had them all, and they used to update and stay on the memory card just fine. I would of definitely remembered it...it's a pain in the ***! I just moved 6 of them over about an hour ago, and now one of those is updating again! so, guess what? that means I'm going to have to move it manually again! I bought my s5 before the lollipop update just like you, and I also don't remember if it was doing it before the update...I don't think that it was, but I'm absolutely positive that it wasn't that way before the s5. I would of noticed something that I have to deal with every single day!

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It is truly one of the most annoying parts of the S5. The more annoying one for me - is having to disable notifications from Apps after they've been updated..again..and again...and again...

nradov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
This is an Android and Play Store defect, not a problem specific to the Samsung S5. If you don't like this behavior then I recommend you open the Play Store app, tap on the menu, and then tap on "Help & Feedback". You can enter feedback to send a complaint to the developers.

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
This is an Android and Play Store defect, not a problem specific to the Samsung S5. If you don't like this behavior then I recommend you open the Play Store app, tap on the menu, and then tap on "Help & Feedback". You can enter feedback to send a complaint to the developers.

Cuz THAT will go far...what would go further - is a Samsung dev working with an Android dev to resolve the matter.

Zoewrex

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I'm so glad I'm not the only one. This is my first Android phone (reformed iphone user) and I truly thought I was loosing my mind. OK I looked up 'root' a phone, will that fix this issue at all?

hlsathaven

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure that you're correct about this problem - it's really irritating! BTW sorry to be pedantic about your grammar, but on a couple of occasions you said "I would of remembered..." or similar. That should be "I would have remembered...". It's a common mistake! Cheers!

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that you're correct about this problem - it's really irritating! BTW sorry to be pedantic about your grammar, but on a couple of occasions you said "I would of remembered..." or similar. That should be "I would have remembered...". It's a common mistake! Cheers!

:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37