05-26-2018 05:44 AM
104 123 ...
tools
    I have a Sprint S5 running stock Lollipop. I have moved any apps that can be to the SD card. Anytime those apps are updated, they move back to the device storage. I got this phone shortly before Sprint pushed the Lollipop update so I cannot say for sure if I was having this issue prior to Lollipop.

Has anybody else had this issue? And found a fix?
    03-05-2015 09:10 AM
    Probably moves them back to device storage for faster launching - ART (the new runtime) may require it for certain apps.
    Not dead certain this is the case, just my best guess...
    03-05-2015 10:12 AM
    When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)
    03-07-2015 07:06 AM
    That makes sense. Odd that I don't remember that happening with my S3.
    03-07-2015 08:40 AM
    Not really. Computers remember things a lot more accurately than we do.
    03-09-2015 12:03 AM
    When an app is updated, it installs a new version of the app - and apps install to internal storage by default. That's normal. (Remember, Android was never designed to run apps from the SD card.)
    I know it's a default setting for apps to install to the internal storage device. Is there a way to change this to have the default be the SD card, without rooting the phone?
    03-11-2015 11:44 AM
    So there is no fix for this? We just have to keep moving all the apps each time they update?
    08-05-2015 04:27 PM
    So there is no fix for this? We just have to keep moving all the apps each time they update?
    I have yet to find a fix for this. Very annoying indeed.

Equally annoying - not being able to move all apps to SD card at once. I have to do this weekly it seems, app by app.
    KJ78 and Xyntacx like this.
    08-07-2015 01:21 PM
    Actually, it did not happen in KitKat - it is a new (and very irritating) phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically Google just keep forgetting about SD cards (probably wish they didn't exist); which is kindof annoying given that their subsidiary, Motorola, is still selling phones that have too little main memory (8Gb) to run effectively without having most of your apps on the SD card.
    KJ78, Neckman, rfoster12 and 3 others like this.
    08-11-2015 07:31 AM
    No, leprechaunshawn's memory is correct - it didn't happen with KitKat. It's a new, and very irritating, phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically I think Google just wish SD cards didn't exist; which is a bit rich given that their subsidiary Motorola sells phones with too little memory (8Gb) to work without using apps from the SD card.
    KJ78 likes this.
    08-11-2015 07:40 AM
    No, leprechaunshawn's memory is correct - it didn't happen with KitKat. It's a new, and very irritating, phenomenon with Lollipop. Basically I think Google just wish SD cards didn't exist; which is a bit rich given that their subsidiary Motorola sells phones with too little memory (8Gb) to work without using apps from the SD card.
    The device manufacturers and carriers are in bed with Google on this one - limit access to removable storage to force us to pay the exorbitant $100 extra to upgrade to a higher level of storage device.
    08-11-2015 10:06 AM
    That's not odd that you don't remember it, because it didn't do with the previous galaxy s2, s3, s4, and even the first one that I believe was called something 4g. My daughter and I have had them all, and they used to update and stay on the memory card just fine. I would of definitely remembered it...it's a pain in the ***! I just moved 6 of them over about an hour ago, and now one of those is updating again! so, guess what? that means I'm going to have to move it manually again! I bought my s5 before the lollipop update just like you, and I also don't remember if it was doing it before the update...I don't think that it was, but I'm absolutely positive that it wasn't that way before the s5. I would of noticed something that I have to deal with every single day!
    hlsathaven likes this.
    08-16-2015 02:21 PM
    I know how you feel. I'm doing this crap daily! Please find a fix for this crap somebody!
    BlurryEyed, KJ78 and datacreed like this.
    08-16-2015 02:24 PM
    It is truly one of the most annoying parts of the S5. The more annoying one for me - is having to disable notifications from Apps after they've been updated..again..and again...and again...
    KJ78 and datacreed like this.
    08-17-2015 10:14 AM
    This is an Android and Play Store defect, not a problem specific to the Samsung S5. If you don't like this behavior then I recommend you open the Play Store app, tap on the menu, and then tap on "Help & Feedback". You can enter feedback to send a complaint to the developers.
    Chris_B and 1LittleFox like this.
    08-19-2015 01:38 PM
    This is an Android and Play Store defect, not a problem specific to the Samsung S5. If you don't like this behavior then I recommend you open the Play Store app, tap on the menu, and then tap on "Help & Feedback". You can enter feedback to send a complaint to the developers.
    Cuz THAT will go far...what would go further - is a Samsung dev working with an Android dev to resolve the matter.
    08-21-2015 11:57 AM
    Sadly I'm so glad I'm not the only one. This is my first Android phone (reformed iphone user) and I truly thought I was loosing my mind. OK I looked up 'root' a phone, will that fix this issue at all?
    09-08-2015 07:55 AM
    I'm sure that you're correct about this problem - it's really irritating! BTW sorry to be pedantic about your grammar, but on a couple of occasions you said "I would of remembered..." or similar. That should be "I would have remembered...". It's a common mistake! Cheers!
    09-16-2015 07:31 PM
    I'm sure that you're correct about this problem - it's really irritating! BTW sorry to be pedantic about your grammar, but on a couple of occasions you said "I would of remembered..." or similar. That should be "I would have remembered...". It's a common mistake! Cheers!
    09-16-2015 10:51 PM
    Still no solution?
    09-23-2015 12:34 PM
    I don't know if there ever will be a solution. The problem exists on the Moto G as well, and that is 99% pure google. I would imagine there are other affected devices as well. It's an OS limitation, the app can only be updated on internal storage.

There are other application managers available that can do a batch move of apps to the SD card, but I haven't tried them yet.
    Waterbottle90 likes this.
    09-23-2015 12:46 PM
    Recent conversation with Samsung Chat Support:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Smyth'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
    Chat InformationYour Issue ID for this chat is LTK11256012109377X
    Smyth: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    Smyth: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?
    Kevin: Yes
    Kevin: For Galaxy S5
    Kevin: Applications that are on my SD card are moved back to internal storage after they are updated
    Smyth: Thank you for responding.
    Kevin: Any way to prevent/resolve that issue?
    Smyth: I see that your apps are moved to internal storage after updating your device Android version, I will provide you with required information.
    Kevin: My S5 is fully up to date with OTA update from Verizon
    Kevin: All applicable apps are on my SD card right now. If updated, they are moved back to internal storage and I have to manually move each back individually
    Smyth: I would like to inform you that, if the Apps size is above 1 GB, then we can move your apps to SD card
    Smyth: I will provide you steps
    Smyth: From home screen Tap on Apps >> Settings >> Application manager >> Swipe from the right to the left to access Äll".
    Smyth: Tap on your downloaded apps.
    Kevin: Sir - I know how to move them back to the SD card
    Smyth: You can find an option "Move to SD card" if the app size is above 1GB
    Kevin: You are not understanding the question
    Kevin: This is very cumbersome to do
    Kevin: So...I am asking - is there anything else that can be done to resolve this matter besides manually moving apps back after they are updated?
    Smyth: Unfortunately, we need to manually move the apps.
    Smyth: There is no update or patch to auto move all your apps to SD Card.
    Kevin: I would ask that this be submitted as a feature request to your product development team.
    Shofixti likes this.
    09-23-2015 12:53 PM
    Technically in reading of his words " I would of" when read literally, would be a contraction and be spelled out as "would've".
    10-29-2015 03:22 PM
    Whatever the reason, it is still an overly ostentatious move! Get a life.
    11-02-2015 10:37 PM
    Correcting a mistake is NEVER a "ostentatious move"

People make errors. Correcting them is a good thing. Otherwise, we'll never become better persons.
    LTA1 likes this.
    11-09-2015 09:25 PM
104 123 ...