Verizon G5 5.0 installed by the book, MS Exchange issue

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Starting point: Verizon Galaxy S5 running 4.4.4 with absolutely no issues and fantastic battery life.

I did a factory reset, wiped cache partition, then installed the 2 updates from Verizon and am now on 5.0. After rebooting in 5.0, I did another factory reset and allowed the phone to download all my apps and data. Everything was fine.

I set up my MS Exchange email accounts and they are constantly trying to sync.
Thinking that I must have done something wrong, I did another factory reset and only set up 1 email account and as soon as it starts to sync, it never ends.
I have tried changing the SYNC PERIOD to 1 day and there is no difference.

Please keep in mind that this worked flawlessly on 4.4.4 with multiple email accounts.

I can't imagine I'm the only one having this issue, so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please share them.

Last edited:

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with tech support for my hosted Exchange service. We tried numerous scenarios to pinpoint the issue while they were monitoring my server connectivity, including deleting the Active Sync profile on the server end and deleting the account on my phone and starting from scratch. The only thing that worked was to set the sync schedule to 5 minutes (or any time period) as opposed to "push".

Apparently something changed in 5.0 that is causing a permanent handshake between Exchange and the phone when the sync is set to "push". This was not the case in previous versions of Android going back as far as 4.0 (ICS).

Again, if anyone has any information regarding this I would appreciate it greatly.

Last edited: