Text notifications not appearing on lock screen after Lollipop upgrade

BIGD1996

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Option #5 not available on Note 3 w/Verizon. I still have the New Message and the pull down option will not display the message. Lollipop upgrade is a joke! Any more suggestions to fix this or should I look for a 3rd party app?

kriscal1981

May 12, 2015
Visit site
On Step 5: Press "While Locked", how can I set up to only show content for messages? I'm getting ALL notifications when I select this.

Last edited:

oOOOo

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't getting good results with the above (didn't really want messages overriding do not disturb, so I didn't play the priority game).

Did get success after checking the "Show new messages in pop-ups on all screens except the lock screen", testing and continuing to get only the "new message" on the lock screen ... but then going back in and UN-checking that option. After that, got my messages back on the lock screen. Yay!

So ... maybe the lollipop update sets a default of "new message" only on lock screen w/o showing it checked in messaging options. But after you do check that option (no change in behavior) and then UN-CHECK it, your choice is then truly saved and actually takes effect? Or something like that...

timmyleeturner

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
That didn't seem to work for me on HTCOne 5.0.2. The Wifi and data symbol, battery symbol and time show up on lock screen, but on the right there is nothing. Instead it puts a large notification bar directly in the middle of my lockscreen image, which I hate. Why have a picture there? How do I get the Notification bar to the top?

Val Kem

May 29, 2015
Visit site
ROFL. THANK YOU! I have been hitting up all the settings, and for some reason I overlooked this one so many times. It turns out I had it turned off, basically "Do not show notifications" was checked off. I've been to 4 other places setting everything up to make it work and didn't realize this silly option was off.

For others, I'm on a Verizon S4. -Settings -> My Device ->Sounds & notification -> Notifications on lock screen -> show all / hide / no show

I feel stupid for overlooking it with such an informative title "notifications on lock screen;" however, I got lost in the branches of options. You helped me follow the right path and I appreciate it. Now my notifications are showing up. It seems to be insanely customizable, but uuuuugly.

Deeayepee

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Samsung S4 user here. My issue was fixed with the attached images and the top comment instructions. Settings> sounds and notifications> other sounds> preview messages. Restart your phone and it should work. I'm on my phone and can't be too much more descriptive. My battery is about to die. Hope it helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-42-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-42-17.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-42-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-42-07.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-41-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-08-16-41-20.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jennifer Tatom

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Changing Priority in Settings will make Messaging Card Pop to the Top

Changing the priority totally worked. If you change messaging to a priority it will be the card that pops up to the top!

Karen Dunn

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Im happy with the last post done all that. But the problem I have is the only way to show I have a text message and the name of who it is from is to show sensitive info. I dont want this on my lock screen i just want to know the name of the person the text is from!!

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Heh, I just wanted to hear a sound and get an icon in the notification bar for texts. Could not figure out how to do it; finally tried "Application Notifications" (under "Sounds and Notifications") and discovered that Messages had "Block" set to On, and "Set as priority" was off. Doh! Changed these and now I get both a sound and icon in the notification bar. I may have inadvertently set these wrong when 5.1.1 installed, with the notifications showing up on the lock screen by default, which I did not want. HTH.

bxdennis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the same situation. Mine is an S4 and in the suggested 'fix' I also do not get the "While Locked" option.
I have searched and found nothing for my phone. Have you found anything?
My lock screen shows a box that says: "New Message" with no sender or content information as I previously received with KitKat. .

TraGiz

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
All,

I think I can help you all out with this one.

Step 1. Just head to Settings > Sound and Notifications

Step 2. At the Bottom of the Sounds and Notification Window, choose "Application notifications". You have to select whatever notification you want to display on the lock screen. I choose "Messages" and "Email".

Step 3. Set whatever application you want to "Set as a priority". I choose "Messages" for example.

Step 4. After this is done, you have a new option that will display under the "Sounds and Notification" screen called "While Locked".

Step 5. Press "While Locked" and choose any of the three settings:
1. Show all content - Will show messages as they are on the lock screen,
2. Hide Sensitive Content will show as a message but not show the content on the lock screen,
3. Do not show notifications - Self Exclamatory.

Exit and you should be all set.

-SuperDave_71

I have tried this already, it didnt work *sigh*!! It's driving me nuts. I have a Sprint S4, that updated today ...i cant see texts on my status bar,notifications or my lock screen. Its so annoying. It just says "new message ". I have to to the app to see who it's from and the text ... thanks for any reply 's

Update** I found the answer; its in settings under notification 's, click show preview ...thank goodness! (I would post a ss, but I'm not sure how on here ...)

Last edited:

boo mary

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
This does not work. I have followed the above steps and I still do not see my text notification on my locked screen. I would also like to know how to get rid of the hidious orange theme on my phone.
Hey its almost right tho I have an s4 and just did the update...If you go to settings, my device, sounds and notifications, go down until you see notifications, then Click where it says while locked then change from do not show notifications to show all notifications it shows it to you I just did it it worked :) hope this helped I was mad I couldn't see it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze