Text notifications not appearing on lock screen after Lollipop upgrade

Cindy Sapochetti

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I no longer see a "card" for my text notifications on my lock screen after the lollipop upgrade on my Galaxy S5.

I get the status "notification bar" (see attached screenshot), but I want the "card" (like the "New voice mail" card in the screenshot) to appear on my lock screen - I don't want to have to tap the "notification bar" for the rest of my notifications. Hopefully I'm just missing a setting, and this is not the expected behavior....

Can someone clarify/help?

Here's what I've tried (and what my settings are):

1) Lock Screen/Screen Lock is set to swipe.
2) Sounds and Notification/While Locked is set to "Show All Content".
3) Applications/Messages/Notifications/Preview Message is checked.
4) Applications/ApplicationManager/Messages -> Show notifications is checked.
5) I have cleared the cache for Messages Application.
6) I have done a cache partition wipe.

Thanks for any help you can give :)

Attachments

• notifications.jpg
    notifications.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 131

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for posting that helpful screenshot. It may be that the system doesn't think there's enough room to include the text message preview card. See what happens if you uninstall Avast, to get rid of that persistent notification. (You probably don't even need Avast, since Google can scan your apps for malware using the Verify Apps option, and the chance of getting malware is very low as long as you avoid shady sites and tapping indiscriminately on links in popup ads.)

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I no longer see a "card" for my text notifications on my lock screen after the lollipop upgrade on my Galaxy S5.

I get the status "notification bar" (see attached screenshot), but I want the "card" (like the "New voice mail" card in the screenshot) to appear on my lock screen - I don't want to have to tap the "notification bar" for the rest of my notifications. Hopefully I'm just missing a setting, and this is not the expected behavior....

Can you adjust the size of those notifications (cards)? Thanks.

Helgilax

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Did you find a solution to this problem? Would love to see the texts i receive in that exact window like in the former version.

MarkSta1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

It may be different on Verizon...

Go to settings
device
sounds and notifications
application notifications

Hope this helps

lady2412

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This does not work. I have followed the above steps and I still do not see my text notification on my locked screen. I would also like to know how to get rid of the hidious orange theme on my phone.

ludpeshko

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the problem.

So, it doesn't have a menu configuration for it, and now displays different text altogether. It looks just like a bug to me, or a very badly thought out change.

Either ways, I hope there is a fix for it soon.

Here4TheChicken

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Try this.

Settings -> Device -> Sounds & Notifications -> While Locked -> Set to: Show all content OR Hide sensitive content (if you want privacy)

Hope this helps.

Naz Shamim

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I am having the SAME problem, and it's soooo frustrating! I want that little pop up to tell me I have a text message and nothing I've tried has worked :-[

SuperDave_71

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
All,

I think I can help you all out with this one.

Step 1. Just head to Settings > Sound and Notifications

Step 2. At the Bottom of the Sounds and Notification Window, choose "Application notifications". You have to select whatever notification you want to display on the lock screen. I choose "Messages" and "Email".

Step 3. Set whatever application you want to "Set as a priority". I choose "Messages" for example.

Step 4. After this is done, you have a new option that will display under the "Sounds and Notification" screen called "While Locked".

Step 5. Press "While Locked" and choose any of the three settings:
1. Show all content - Will show messages as they are on the lock screen,
2. Hide Sensitive Content will show as a message but not show the content on the lock screen,
3. Do not show notifications - Self Exclamatory.

Exit and you should be all set.

-SuperDave_71

Coryad

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
All,

I think I can help you all out with this one.

Step 1. Just head to Settings > Sound and Notifications

Step 2. At the Bottom of the Sounds and Notification Window, choose "Application notifications". You have to select whatever notification you want to display on the lock screen. I choose "Messages" and "Email".

Step 3. Set whatever application you want to "Set as a priority". I choose "Messages" for example.

Step 4. After this is done, you have a new option that will display under the "Sounds and Notification" screen called "While Locked".

Step 5. Press "While Locked" and choose any of the three settings:
1. Show all content - Will show messages as they are on the lock screen,
2. Hide Sensitive Content will show as a message but not show the content on the lock screen,
3. Do not show notifications - Self Exclamatory.

Exit and you should be all set.

-SuperDave_71

Thanks so much, this was driving me nutty.

kbri73

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Every time there is an update things that dont need fixing get worse. Im tired of this. If it isnt broken, dont try to fix it or update idiots Hey, thanks for the help, it works now.

Blue855

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks so much.

I followed the steps and all was good until Step 5; I don't see the "While Locked" option.

Also, I get the notification "New Message" whereas before the upgrade I was able to see part of the actual message content (and sender) on the lock screen or status list without having to open the message. Is there a way to see this with the Dreaded Lollipop Upgrade?