Why does my Galaxy S5 have so many problems after the Lollipop Update?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S5 Problems After Lollipop Update.

I recently updated my galaxy s5 (Verizon) to Lollipop 5.0 and have had the worst experiences with it. Even from the start, I could feel how bad it was. My battery life lasted only about 4 hours (before update around 12) and was very slugish in general. Everything would freeze every 10 seconds. It was always overheating and I was so confused what was wrong. My RAM was almost 80%+ almost all the time and so I got a cleaning app. The app would clear background apps until you closed it and then they would re-open.

I was very upset and I tried taking my battery out, restarting my phone multiple times, etc. This night I decided I was ready to try something else. I went through my settings and found a System Reset. I reset and it felt alright for about 5 minutes. I noticed my WiFi was not connected so I tried to turn it "ON." The WiFi would actually not turn on at all, I would slide it to ON but it would slide right back to off. I found a post on here with the EXACT problem I had.

I saw a reply on that post to clear my Cache Partition, I have done that twice now and nothing has changed. I want my old update back, I dont want Lollipop anymore, it has messed everything up. I saw a post on how to downgrade but I need to get a backup app and I need to upload my backup or put it on my SD card. But, of course, my 4G is not working either, so now it is impossible for me to at least save my contacts on a cloud.

I am losing hope. Im about to take the phone in and get help. I dont know what to do anymore. Could someone please give me some advice or tell me if you have any ideas?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 Problems After Lollipop Update.

I recently updated my galaxy s5 (Verizon) to Lollipop 5.0 and have had the worst experiences with it. Even from the start, I could feel how bad it was. My battery life lasted only about 4 hours (before update around 12) and was very slugish in general. Everything would freeze every 10 seconds. It was always overheating and I was so confused what was wrong. My RAM was almost 80%+ almost all the time and so I got a cleaning app. The app would clear background apps until you closed it and then they would re-open.

I was very upset and I tried taking my battery out, restarting my phone multiple times, etc. This night I decided I was ready to try something else. I went through my settings and found a System Reset. I reset and it felt alright for about 5 minutes. I noticed my WiFi was not connected so I tried to turn it "ON." The WiFi would actually not turn on at all, I would slide it to ON but it would slide right back to off. I found a post on here with the EXACT problem I had.

I saw a reply on that post to clear my Cache Partition, I have done that twice now and nothing has changed. I want my old update back, I dont want Lollipop anymore, it has messed everything up. I saw a post on how to downgrade but I need to get a backup app and I need to upload my backup or put it on my SD card. But, of course, my 4G is not working either, so now it is impossible for me to at least save my contacts on a cloud.

I am losing hope. Im about to take the phone in and get help. I dont know what to do anymore. Could someone please give me some advice or tell me if you have any ideas?

I know a lot of S5 owners have had upsets, though not all. I am on KitKat with a Note 3, but my wifi button would stick half on after a follow up patch with new features. Some more Lollipop patches should sort the issues with muting, blocking mode/Interruptions etc.

Some have had a smooth transition.
All I personally can offer after previous os updates is that it does take a while (a week!) for devices to settle down. An OS update will reset all your sync and Google preferences, so unchecking most Sync options in Accounts - Google and Samsung, and Disabling / Turn Off Google + and a lot of other Google services in Applications Manager may ease the process. Why you don't have 4G, or no mobile data I'm not sure, but it adds to the loop the device is stuck in if it can't complete the syncing it wants to.

If you can turn (**Mobile data** correction I meant:) master Sync on and see if there are any sync errors in red reporting in Accounts - Google, especially Picasa / Photos syncing which was a problem and which I had never wanted.

At least Verizon can help, but if you can free a few things and stick it a few days it may improve. Everyone has different apps and set ups.

BTW - Never bother about the RAM, Android is designed to function almost full, unlike Windows, and I would uninstall any ram or device cleaner. They are adding to the issues.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=380592