All I did was modify my contacts settings to display contacts according to "custom settings" (instead of displaying contacts from ALL ACCOUNTS) and random contacts seemed to be ignored by the keypad lookup. When I would switch to the "Contacts" tab of the dialer and type out the name/keyword, the same contact I was searching for WOULD be found. I even changed back to "All contacts" in the select contacts to display settings, but that didn't help.

An example of what I'm experiencing: when searching for a restaurant called "Second Grill", I would type in Grill using the keypad, and 6 other restaurants with Grill in their name popped up, but not Second Grill. When I typed in "Grill" in the contacts tab, "Second Grill" did show up as expected.

Before changing the contacts settings at all, I know the lookup for Second Grill worked because I used it regularly.

I next went to Settings --> Applications --> Application manager and found 3 different "Phone" apps and cleared the cache of each one. Still didn't help. I did not try "Clear Data" for each one, as I was warned this would delete the application files (that didn't sound like what I wanted to do).

I am running the official Lollipop 5.0 for the S5 rolled out by Bell Mobility in Canada.

And help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    03-16-2015 03:23 PM
    Here are the screenshots.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Dialer/Keypad contact search can't find certain contacts-screenshot_2015-03-16-16-24-10.jpg   Dialer/Keypad contact search can't find certain contacts-screenshot_2015-03-16-16-24-33.jpg  
    03-16-2015 03:25 PM
    Err.... anyone?
    03-17-2015 09:14 AM
    I noticed the exact same thing. It seems that people that have a dull grey profile "picture" (placeholder, face without eyes/mouth/...) do not appear on the list, the ones with an actual picture or a brown/blue profile picture placeholder (with eyes, mouth,...) do appear in the Keypad of the dialer. Also, the ones without phone number will in any case not appear.

Apparently, the ones in grey are somehow linked to a LinkedIn profile. If I unlink them, the Google contact will appear in the Dialer. Strange. This seems to be a programming mistake.

Hope this gets solved in a future update. Imho, Lollipop on Samsung sucks. This whole silent mode thing is stupid. Samsung did not implement it correctly. It has become very bothersome to silence the phone during the night...

Chris
    03-27-2015 03:55 AM
    Hello,
    This was happening to me on a few linked contacts. I fixed it by editing the contact, copying the number and pasting it into both google linked entries ( all the tabs along the top of the contact edit screen that allow a mobile number) ...

Cheers,
    Mike
    waqqas31 likes this.
    04-21-2015 06:34 AM
    Hello,
    This was happening to me on a few linked contacts. I fixed it by editing the contact, copying the number and pasting it into both google linked entries ( all the tabs along the top of the contact edit screen that allow a mobile number) ...

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks! That fixed the keypad lookup problem.
    04-21-2015 03:04 PM
    linked contacts in your contacts dont display..unlink contacts and they will work
    04-29-2015 06:40 AM
    I'm seeing the same problem but just realized that for me, the search is only showing the first 10 results. If I keep typing, it further refines the result set but still only shows a maximum of 10 search results.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-05-2015 10:28 PM
    Same problem with my new S7.

Apparently, only contacts that are saved as a 'google' contact will allow you to pull them up in the keypad / dial area. If they are only a 'phone' contact, it will not pull them up. You can still pull them up in the contacts list, but if you are trying to pull them up with the keypad @ the dial screen, they will not show up.

Dumb.
    S3 and S4 didn't have this issue.
    09-14-2016 07:42 AM
    just wanted to add to this. dialer only pulls from google address book and even if a name is also linked to something like exchange it wont see it.
    09-30-2016 12:33 PM