reading an external hardrive

kflesher

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
how am I able to read an external hard drive, directly from my phone, I have an s5.
the hard drive sems to requires some power to run it,

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You need a 3-port OTG cable - one plugs into the phone, the drive plugs into the second port and the power supply (assuming it's 5 volts - the drive is powered from the USB port) plugs into the 3rd port. You should be able to use the phone's charger -the USB port can't put out as much as most chargers, so if it runs off a USB connection, it'll run off the phone's charger. (The phone won't be powered, so be sure the battery is fully charged.)

TravisSanders

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You need a 3-port OTG cable - one plugs into the phone, the drive plugs into the second port and the power supply (assuming it's 5 volts - the drive is powered from the USB port) plugs into the 3rd port. You should be able to use the phone's charger -the USB port can't put out as much as most chargers, so if it runs off a USB connection, it'll run off the phone's charger. (The phone won't be powered, so be sure the battery is fully charged.)

Thank you for that well thought out and complete answer.

kflesher

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Rukbat, thanks for the reply.
I do have a OTG, but it doesn't seem to have the ports I need, (1usb, 1micro sd, and a sd, Slot)
it will recognize the sd cards fine, as soon as I plug the drives USB into it, it fails to recognize it.
Could you recommend a OTG that may work, thanks.