03-10-2018 04:37 PM
34 12
tools
    my screen wont rotate i have done a gyro test and it as said it has failed, is there anything else i can do to repair this or is it a hardware issue
    03-18-2015 10:22 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like a hardware issue--the phone should still be under warranty, so contact Samsung (unless the phone is really new, in which case you should see if your wireless store will replace it).

One quick thing to check is to boot into Safe Mode, to make sure some 3rd party app isn't causing the problem: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10696
    03-18-2015 11:02 PM
    Did you ever find a fix for this problem with gyroscope. I am having the same issue. please help. Thank you
    09-21-2015 09:58 AM
    Did you ever find a fix for this problem with gyroscope. I am having the same issue. please help. Thank you
    I'm also having the same issue with my s5 for sprint.
    It does however turn to the side when watching a video on youtube and when you exit the video it remains sideways until I go back to home page.
    11-07-2015 01:40 AM
    I'm also having the same issue with my s5 for sprint.
    It does however turn to the side when watching a video on youtube and when you exit the video it remains sideways until I go back to home page.
    I am having the exact same problem, it just started yesterday i realized it when i was trying to watch some youtube and any app that should be able to go landscape do not
    01-07-2016 04:46 PM
    Never found a fix. Do believe it's a hardware problem, and *may* be blamed on our software and heat......
    01-08-2016 11:23 AM
    I know there's a lag when flipping the screen. It literally takes 3 - 4 secs for my screen to flip. There's no animation doing so.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-09-2016 09:07 AM
    Fyi I just got that problem. Gyro test failed and no rotation. No reason for it....
    Booted into safe mode, still no joy. Gave it a good crack up the back, still no joy.
    Disabled safe mode and it's working again. Gyro test passed and rotation back on.

Figures. I don't recommend beating your phone up but safe mode booting might have reset it
    ironass and yurisousa like this.
    03-08-2016 10:55 AM
    My AT&T S5 had just started doing that and failed the gyro test. Safe mode, a sharp knock to the back, and it was working both in safe mode and when i rebooted. Thanks for the advice.
    03-08-2016 02:46 PM
    Actually mine failed again after a little while :/

I did the above a couple of times and then it stopped working altogether.
    It's back working with a simple "take out the battery for a minute" trick. However long for I don't know!
    To check hardware on galaxy s5 and likely others, type *#0*# on phone pad and press sensors. Then check gyroscope (Two taps on back button to go back each step)
    03-08-2016 02:56 PM
    Actually mine failed again after a little while :/

I did the above a couple of times and then it stopped working altogether.
    It's back working with a simple "take out the battery for a minute" trick. However long for I don't know!
    To check hardware on galaxy s5 and likely others, type *#0* on phone pad and press sensors. Then check gyroscope (Two taps on back button to go back each step)
    Went through the same gyrations (pardon the pun), and finally gave up on mine. Sold it, took the hit, and got another.....
    03-09-2016 08:45 AM
    yeah, it's crapped out for good now.
    However since I can't afford a new phone, I have found a workaround on YouTube.

Download either rotation lock adaptive or set orientation from the play store.
    Set to force auto / automatic. This works for some.
    Didn't work for me but forcing it into landscape did work. Obviously clunky as then EVERYTHING is in landscape and you need to disable again to get back to normal but at least the gallery is somewhat functional again.
    03-09-2016 02:27 PM
    So I experienced the accelerometer/gyro sensors failing shortly after the Marshmallow update for the Sprint GS5. I tried the above methods with zero success. Today, I received another software update (g900pvpu3cpe1) and the sensors both started working again . . . for a moment. It was short-lived, as both sensors fail to register. Any thoughts? It appears to be a software issue.
    06-07-2016 09:42 PM
    With my VZN SM-G900V android v 6.0.1, to reset the "stuck" accelerometer and gyro I restart into SAFE mode and then restart again (or choose turn off safe mode, which restarts also). Everything works again ..... but only for a while. I thought it was hardware, but now seems like it's definitely software.
    06-11-2016 08:26 AM
    my screen wont rotate i have done a gyro test and it as said it has failed, is there anything else i can do to repair this or is it a hardware issue
    SOLUTION: I had the same problem and here's how to fix it: do the gyro test just in case, then boot in safe mode and do gyro test, then restart not in safe mode and do test. Idk how this works but it did for me!!
    07-16-2016 03:58 PM
    @Konan Gauld

Thank you! I don't know how or why, but that seemed to do the trick, even if it's not permanent it's already a much longer working period of time than what I would get from a simple restart. Thanks so much!
    07-19-2016 12:29 AM
    Ok, correction, it helps for a while longer than a soft reset, but the gyro and accelerometer still freeze at some point (I still haven't managed to pinpoint the exact cause).

I factory-resetted the phone to stock 6.0.1 and it still happens. Leads me to believe it's a 6.0.1 issue. I wonder if downgrading back to lollipop would solve it.
    07-23-2016 10:16 AM
    Nope, it doesn't. Downgrading back to 5.0 and the issue's still there. Installed custom recovery and firmware - same thing. I read somewhere that someone was having the issue because his phone was overheating due to his TPU case, but that's not the issue with me.
    I also found that while the sensors do work after a reset, the gyroscope constantly reports an ever-so-slight rotation in one direction. I think it is a hardware issue after all, as weird as it may be. Gonna send it to a lab and see if they can solve it.
    08-10-2016 08:29 AM
    Fyi I just got that problem. Gyro test failed and no rotation. No reason for it....
    Booted into safe mode, still no joy. Gave it a good crack up the back, still no joy.
    Disabled safe mode and it's working again. Gyro test passed and rotation back on.

Figures. I don't recommend beating your phone up but safe mode booting might have reset it
    The suggestion above really worked very well. Just follow it
    08-21-2016 04:02 PM
    With my VZN SM-G900V android v 6.0.1, to reset the "stuck" accelerometer and gyro I restart into SAFE mode and then restart again (or choose turn off safe mode, which restarts also). Everything works again ..... but only for a while. I thought it was hardware, but now seems like it's definitely software.
    Did you find any solution ? I have suffered from same problem.
    08-28-2016 11:14 AM
    Try to disable the Flipboard aplication and restart - works so far for me.
    08-29-2016 02:58 AM
    hi guys I encountered the same problem to find that the problem is the case, if your case has even a small amount of metal then all the sensors will have problems. try purchase a plastic case or let your phone without case and wait about 1 or 2 weeks and the sensors problem will disappear. that's my experience with my device. I hope it will help
    10-31-2016 04:51 PM
    Has anyone with a gyro problem added wireless charging to their S5? I didn't realize this problem started after adding the S-view cover with wireless charging built in. I found this out after switching to my standard back cover without wireless charging to take pictures easier. The built in wireless charging has a plate inside that does not exist with a standard back cover. So it makes sense with this plate that the wireless charging add-on could cause a gyro problem.
    11-17-2016 11:47 AM
    Having the same issue. Tried everything except a factory reset. Restarting my phone only works for a short time but I noticed that it was working ok until I wanted to use google maps. This might of just been coincidence though. My best guess really is that the phone is overheating or has overheated at some point and affected the sensor. I've had this phone a while now so maybe it's just wear and tear off the hardware and it's time I upgraded.
    12-03-2016 04:43 AM
    I came here just to reply to the above comment about Google Maps. I noticed a couple days ago that my phone suddenly won't rotate orientation in my camera app. I also noticed that my custom "MyMaps" on Google Maps app on my phone stopped showing up. It'll show up again if I clear my Google Maps cache and data but moments later it'll disappear again. The camera will start working properly if I restart my phone but as soon as I open Google Maps it stops. The entire function of the gyro in the phone completely stops working as soon as I open Google Maps. I'm pretty sure there was an update a few days ago because this started happening out of nowhere.

EDIT: I'm using a Note 5 btw.
    12-20-2016 04:40 PM
34 12