My Galaxy S5 was set to use fingerprint and now only asks for alternate password. why?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S5 was set to use finigerprint and now only asks for alternate password

My friend had his Galaxy S5 set to unlock with a fingerprint, however yesterday the strangest thing happened. It no longer asks for a fingerprint, it goes directly to the alternate password. I would like to clarify again that its not that it does not accept his prints like happens to a lot of people, it simply does not give the choice to use them. Now I don't know if he forgot his password or the phone wont accept it (like he claims) but he can't use the alternate password to log into the phone. He is completely locked out. As a last case resort I will back up whatever I can using my computer and reset it to factory defaults, but I have a few hours before I have to do that so I was hoping someone could help me come up with a better solution.

As a final note I've tried the google device manager to reset the password, his S5 does not appear on his account. I expect that is because it is not a gmail account but a school account using google apps.

Any help is appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 was set to use finigerprint and now only asks for alternate password

My friend had his Galaxy S5 set to unlock with a fingerprint, however yesterday the strangest thing happened. It no longer asks for a fingerprint, it goes directly to the alternate password. I would like to clarify again that its not that it does not accept his prints like happens to a lot of people, it simply does not give the choice to use them. Now I don't know if he forgot his password or the phone wont accept it (like he claims) but he can't use the alternate password to log into the phone. He is completely locked out. As a last case resort I will back up whatever I can using my computer and reset it to factory defaults, but I have a few hours before I have to do that so I was hoping someone could help me come up with a better solution.

As a final note I've tried the google device manager to reset the password, his S5 does not appear on his account. I expect that is because it is not a gmail account but a school account using google apps.

Any help is appreciated.
If your friend logs into the Android Device manager with the Google account associated with the device it should be able to be accessed. Has your friend contacted Samsung?

mrabs

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 was set to use finigerprint and now only asks for alternate password

Lol it lets you ask a question without signing in but not reply to it. My friend just tried logging into his tmobile account with another email address so I'm going to check to see if maybe that's the one he used on his phone. If it is we might be all set, if not I'll try contacting Samsung like you suggested. Either way I'll be back to let you know what is happens.

Edit: Just finished talking with Samsung. Apparently there is nothing that can be done but reseting the phone. So we just went a head and did that. Thanks.

Last edited:

Myra Violetta

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

My Galaxy S5 was set to use fingerprint and now only asks for alternate password.
Please help me, why? And how to solve that?