10-15-2016 11:40 AM
66 123
tools
    I feel your pain.... Unfortunately, I am forced to use the s5 because my company requires it. I have been a loyal iPhone user; and remain to be so. That being said, if you take the bateau out, and then reinstall, it should take care of your problem.... Yes, it will happen again though. This phone is terrible, I would never recommend it; iPhone all the way.... I will never be convinced otherwise, so don't try....
    09-29-2015 07:28 PM
    I have the same issue. I have tried factory reset and clearing cache. It takes a few days but the issue returns.
    This is especially concerning when i read about aparent exploits with android where keypad updates automatically get loaded. Source: google.. "android keypad exploit"
    10-09-2015 10:56 PM
    It's also effecting notifications.. random letters are being blocked out. I have screenshot but cannot figure out how to upload it.
    10-09-2015 11:17 PM
    samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles and doesnt go away until restarted. I could show a screenshot but theres no upload here.. :/ anyone else experience this? My phone is 3 weeks old and this happened atlest 2 times already..
    I got the same problem with my phone and I don't kniw what to do either. Can anybody help?
    10-12-2015 12:13 AM
    I made an account just to help you guys..
    So i just got done talking with samsung tech support Australia
    He told me these steps and it has worked at getting rid of the boxes!
    1) key into your dialer (there is a star there at the front 😉) *#9900#
    2) should open a page called "SysDump"
    3) Select option 2: DELETE DUMPSTATE/LOGCAT
    4) restart your phone
    5) success! Jive around on your newly freed lock screen numbers 😂
    10-13-2015 09:17 PM
    Hi Lethal,

What do you do after typing in *#9900#? I could only dial, but it came back saying the number didn't exist.
    10-14-2015 09:35 AM
    Which country are you from? If i type in *#9900# without pressing anything further it will open up a page called sysdump. Maybe there is a way to access this with a different dial code or through settings. I would show a screenshot of the page if i could.
    10-14-2015 09:28 PM
    Hello everyone. First time poster here. I have the same issue (blocks on password digits).

This happened to me before and I was perplexed at what it could be (other than forced updates that annoy you and break minor thing so you'll buy a new phone) until now!

I installed two different apps right before this happened toy S5. WhatsApp and FlightAware. Interestingly, last time it happened to me on my S3, I installed the same two apps.

I don't think its FlightAware because it's usually just a temporary install. But WhatsApp remained as did the blocks.

So, I wonder how many people have one or more of those apps installed or maybe installed them a day or so before the issue began.

Thoughts?
    Randy
    12-14-2015 07:41 PM
    Randy, I had installed FlightAware also. But, whatever caused it was fixed when my Note 3's os was updated. Either that or when every application was updated immediately thereafter. I enjoyed a few months free of this puzzling issue before I traded the Note 3 in on a Motorola Turbo 2.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-14-2015 08:08 PM
    Interesting. Maybe it is FA causing a strange install cache or something.
    12-18-2015 01:49 PM
    I restarted my phone and the problem was fixed...for now
    02-02-2016 02:07 PM
    Hello, I was having the same issue of missing characters. My Note 5 is only 2 days old! I contacted Samsung and they advised I download Samsung Smart Tutor from the Google Play store. From there the Samsung tech was able to remote into my phone and fix the issue! I had installed a language update that caused the problem. The Samsung rep was great and fixed the issue within a few minutes.
    ironass likes this.
    02-09-2016 12:00 PM
    I started having this problem when my phone would increasingly misbehave. Finally I had to do a full backup with 6 different programs and then do a factory reset.
    02-09-2016 07:40 PM
    I have SG Note 3. It does this exact same thing. Makes me crazy! Can they not fix this issue with an update?

Hello all,

I had the same problem. I have a note 3.

Here is a picture of the lock screen with the white boxes.

Attachment 173997

Fortunately, wiping the cache as suggested have solved the problem, at least for now. Just wanted to share the screenshot so people know what are we talking about.

Thanks.
    06-28-2016 06:06 PM
    I have SG Note 3. It does this exact same thing. Makes me crazy! Can they not fix this issue with an update?
    Due to manufacturer and carrier bloat, and just Android in general, it's worth wiping and redoing your phone once every year or so. I'm about due for another one.

WARNING: There is no one reliable program for backups! Google backs up shockingly little. Samsung Smart Switch gets a lot, but it can miss important stuff. Use 3-4 programs.
    06-28-2016 06:52 PM
    Try this
    Power down your phone, now press & hold the power button, volume up & the home button until your phone boots into Recovery. Now use the volume rocker to select Wipe Cache. Hit the power button to make it happen - give it a sec to clear the cache. Now use the volume rocker to select Reboot System - hit the power button & run you phone for a bit. See if this helps*
    The same thing happened to my phone and I just turned my phone off and then took the battery out and I turned it back on the problem was fixed
    10-15-2016 11:40 AM
66 123