samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles

badboyzz7

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles and doesnt go away until restarted. I could show a screenshot but theres no upload here.. :/ anyone else experience this? My phone is 3 weeks old and this happened atlest 2 times already..

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Try this
Power down your phone, now press & hold the power button, volume up & the home button until your phone boots into Recovery. Now use the volume rocker to select Wipe Cache. Hit the power button to make it happen - give it a sec to clear the cache. Now use the volume rocker to select Reboot System - hit the power button & run you phone for a bit. See if this helps*

anacho85

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
i have the same issue. wiping cache had no effect. i thought that maybe one the apps makes the issues. so i did a factory reset two times. both times after a while (two weeks) without problems the rectangles came back. i have no idea how to fix this problem. i guesse that sending the phone to samsung will not be effective because they will make a factory reset then think that the malfunktion is gone and send the phone back

Kerrifs

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
i have the same issue. wiping cache had no effect. i thought that maybe one the apps makes the issues. so i did a factory reset two times. both times after a while (two weeks) without problems the rectangles came back. i have no idea how to fix this problem. i guesse that sending the phone to samsung will not be effective because they will make a factory reset then think that the malfunktion is gone and send the phone back

I also have the same problem. When I reset my phone it goes for a few days and then comes back. I have a photo but cannot attach it to this forum unfortunately.

I cannot find a fix anywhere online. My phone isn't even a year old. I also have problems with the screen from time to time. When I'm in a call all sorts of things happen, it mutes my calls, opens up the menu and opens apps. I think this could be an issue with the proximity sensor (I think that's what it's called)

If anyone has a fox, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Kerri

anacho85

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Hey Kerri,

i'm sorry to hear that you have that annoying issue, too. Unfortunatly i dont have a picture because the phone works well at the moment. Did you try the "insert Image" button at the toolbar? It would be very helpful to show a picture to the community

Oiseauviolet

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles and doesnt go away until restarted. I could show a screenshot but theres no upload here.. :/ anyone else experience this? My phone is 3 weeks old and this happened atlest 2 times already..

I've been having the same problem since updating my S5 to Lollipop. Had my phone for a year before that with no issue.

I use SwiftKey keyboard so haven't noticed it there, but as you can see it is visible on the lock screen and on notifications:
imgur.com/6qIzZ3z
imgur.com/iL7w3Yl

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a bug that is ingrained into the OS. It's a pity, they tell us they test these things "rigorously" and there are still bugs like this. I would say if SwiftKey works, use that until a fix is released. I hated SwiftKey at first, but it grew on me because I could change themes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie Chace

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Worked for me thanks man.

I have Galaxy S5 and all the sudden I had white squares on my pin unlock screen. After a few reboots and double checking that I didn't have any junk apps I did Google search and found this answer. Found instructions and it worked great. :):)

jdmac76

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I am getting this too. I have a photo of the lock screen with white blocks but cant see anyway to attach. It happens intermittently. Been since the blooming lollipop update which has made me hate my once loved s5! Only rectifies temporarily with restart. Wipe cache didnt work. Reluctant to do factory reset as seems it doesnt work anyway!!

Reebekili

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks this helped for now!!
Try this
Power down your phone, now press & hold the power button, volume up & the home button until your phone boots into Recovery. Now use the volume rocker to select Wipe Cache. Hit the power button to make it happen - give it a sec to clear the cache. Now use the volume rocker to select Reboot System - hit the power button & run you phone for a bit. See if this helps*

Abdelbaset Hamza

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I had the same problem. I have a note 3.

Here is a picture of the lock screen with the white boxes.

unnamed.jpg

Fortunately, wiping the cache as suggested have solved the problem, at least for now. Just wanted to share the screenshot so people know what are we talking about.

Thanks.

Corey Hebert1

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Last update breaks my home botton, then lollipop fixes it then breaks my lock screen with this bullish*it, I didn't buy an s5 active to be a godd*mn beta tester...

Jena Schallhorn

May 1, 2015
Visit site
My phone does this as well.

Reason?

Because the Galaxy S6 is out. Ever notice the photo quality starts to downgrade over time? Regardless of how well you take care of your phone? Every update done to these phones, the older they get (and by older, I mean anything older than the newest version), they get a little worse, until you're forced to upgrade to the newest.

Irritated at this point. Just because newer technology happens, doesn't mean older technology should get worse... it just shouldn't be as good as the newest... right?

I turn my phone off, turn it back on, reset it, etc... goes away for a few days, then comes right back. Shameful Samsung, just shameful.

I imagine it will continue to do this until I upgrade to the newest Galaxy available... which won't have it's own little quirk, until a newer Galaxy comes out.

Jena Schallhorn

May 1, 2015
Visit site
According to my carrier, who got the information from Samsung... (ok...)

A master reset of the phone has to be done in order to wipe out the glitch that was attached to the update.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing it again. Have done hard and soft resets. Wiped Cache haven't installed any new apps. Stuff like this makes me want to switch to iPhone even though I despise them they just work.
We spend hundreds of dollars on phones and they are only good for a year and then start going haywire. Any luck with culprit?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-04-11-55-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-04-11-55-35.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 25

Reebekili

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Mine was fixed for about a week or so after doing the reset and cache clearing and it came back. I decided to switch to using a pattern for security instead and problem solved :)

Sarah Shields

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and have owned it about a year now. As a 21 year old I'm pretty tech savvy and love to use my phone for it's full potential. But this is something I can't seem to figure out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-08-11-36-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-08-11-36-20.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 23

vrod

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I am also having this problem with my S5 since the second Verizon lollipop update. My son has the same phone and has not seen this problem yet. I have Apex launcher running and he has Nova launcher. Does anyone have this problem with Nova launcher? Just thought I would rule this out before changing launchers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20