How can I stop bloatwear on my Verizon S5 Root?

dcarmody

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Verizon S5 Root

I know this question has been asked and answered a million times before, so sorry for asking it again, but I just want to be 1000% sure I'm not gonna screw anything up while doing this. I recently purchased an S5 from Verizon, and I can't stand the bloatware. Even after disabling the apps they keep running in the background and they're killing my battery. Even apps such as Battery Doctor aren't helping. 2 minutes after killing all background apps with the app, they're all running again. Even apps I've turned off in the applications manager and have never even opened once before.
Anyways, to the point, I want to root my device for the sole purpose of deleting these pesky and useless apps once and for all. I don't plan on doing anything else with the root other than deleting the apps I'm either not allowed to turn off, or ones that keep restarting themselves for no reason. I'm not very familiar with rooting, and have never rooted any of my previous Android devices, so am not exactly sure how to go about it safely. I've done some reading here and have read that rooting voids the warranty. I'm not sure what the warranty even covers, so if someone could answer that as well it would help make my decision to root easier. On that note, a root that doesn't trip the KNOX Counter would be the way I want to go. If somebody could explain an easy, foolproof way to root my device for the purpose I need it for, that would be of much help. Thanks in advance and sorry for the rambling lol.

Last edited:

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon S5 Root

Rooting a Verizon S5 is anything but easy. Especially if you are on 5.0 The entire process, having never done it before, could take you an hour or longer. I would check out the Verizon S5 section of the XDA developers forum for a set of easy to follow directions with links to all of the software, firmware, and kernels you will need. Almost any method you use to root a Verizon S5 will not trip Knox, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. I'll give you the basics just so you can see how involved it actually is.

You need to install the Samsung drivers to your pc. Install Samsung's utility program ODIN. Download a factory version of a kitkat ROM. Use ODIN to flash that ROM. Go through the usual set up for a new phone. Download and install TowelRoot from their website. Download SuperSu from the play store, download busybox from the play store and download safestrap recovery from the xda forum. Install busybox, and install safestrap. Download a kitkat kernel, preferably NE9, and flash it to your phone using ODIN. Your phone reboots and starts force closing apps. Keep closing the popup boxes while making your way to the app drawer and open Towelroot. Click on make it rain, and it will root your phone. Flash the latest kernel for kitkat and your phone will be stable again. Open SuperSu and go through its setup. Open busybox and go through its setup. Open safestrap and hit install. Download a lollipop ROM and a lollipop firmware only file, if you want lollipop, to your phone. Reboot into recovery and flash the rom, then (if using a lollipop ROM) flash the lollipop firmware only zip file. Reboot and your golden!

Posted via the Android Central App

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

I was actually just about to ask this exact questions. I've rooted my Verizon S4, and it was extremely easy. All I needed to do was install towelroot and it rooted it. I guess since lollipop is new, there's no easy root and probably won't be for a while. After reading that though, it's really not worth the hour or two extra battery life since I've never flashed a ROM or kernel and wouldn't want to mess my phone up. I'm sure I wouldn't, but in my head I would (;

dcarmody

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

My S5 actually still has KitKat on it, as when I first got it I upgraded to Lollipop and it completely screwed the phone and made it unable to send any kind of outgoing messages/data. Verizon had to swap it out for another one the day after I got it, so I don't plan on upgrading to 5.0 for a while. Would this process be easier on KitKat?

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site

Which KitKat? 4.4.2 is pretty much a one-click affair. Later KitKats aren't more like the process described above.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, if your still on kitkat all you really have to do is flash the NE9 kernel with Odin, use Towelroot to root your phone, and then flash the latest kitkat kernel back to your phone. Verizon patched the exploit that Towelroot used to gain root access on later versions of kitkat. Hence the need to flash an older kernel before you can root.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781