Galaxy S5 after iPhone 5S

bvbslash

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
This is my first foray into Android and I am loving it....sort of. The level of control over the phone and OS, better fingerprint sensor and superb screen are all what makes the switch worthwhile. But I do have issues.

1) The lock screen - why do I have to press the home/power button, then swipe the screen to activate the fingerprint scanner and then swipe to scan my finger and unlock the phone? That's ridonculous! On the iPhone 5S, you just press down on the home button and it unlocks.

2) It's SLOW. The processor is supposed to be a beast and yet I have to disable an app here, or uninstall an app there or switch off a feature somewhere to extract the kind of performance I got on the 5S without doing anything.

3) The default e-mail crapp is just that. It doesn't open e-mails!! Sometimes it does but it takes almost a min. And I am talking about e-mails that have two lines with no attachments, signatures or embedded images. I use e-mail a lot so now I have to download another another app.

4) It won't delete data from SD cards!! WTF. I formatted the card and wasted an hour of my life.

5) The battery seems to drain really fast and I need to figure out what I have to get rid off to keep it from draining so fast. Samsung bloat is a PITA but I can't get rid of a lot of it without having to root the phone which I don't want to do, at least not until I have spent hours reading up about Android 5.0. Also cell phone coverage in Berlin sucks but it isn't THAT bad.

6) I am just getting around to finding out about Samsung bloat. Having to root the phone to get rid of it is annoying.

Other than those, I love this phone. Its array of features and functionalities make the 5S look like a dinosaur. And if you can help me with my problems I'd more than welcome it.

GefH

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
1) I used the fingerprint thing for the first week or so, then swapped to pattern recognition, and love it. I think the fingerprint was just too unreliable.
2) I don't think the Sammy is as responsive s my iPhone 5 was, but that's a small sacrifice. Certainly I'm not seeing a big difference most of the time. . Swapping from touch wiz to Nova may have helped.
3) no experience with this - went straight to Gmail app as I was using that on the iPhone.
4) My Files will delete files from the Sd card. There are issues with any other File Manager as they don't have the same privileges.
5) battery and responsiveness settled down for me after a week or so. . Can't comment on Berlin.
6) before rooting, try Nova. . I like it a lot.

... Geoff