/Apps/Download manager/ is taking up 1.4GB. What is it?

Shadowhawk

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

My 16GB Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 is frequently lower on free internal storage space than I'd like, currently at 490 MB free.

In a look at how my space is allocated, I note:
  • /Apps 7.474 GB, of which 1.438 GB is in a "Download manager" subdirectory, which itself contains a 1.425 GB Cache subdirectory
  • /media 1.656 GB, wherein 575 MB is in an Android subdirectory, and 485MB is in a .thumbnails subdirectory
  • /System data 1.176 GB

I've seen that "Download manager" subdirectory as low as .7 GB, and the current 1.438 is the high-water mark in my experience.

Does anyone know what that is or what app or settings affect its size? Is that user-manageable?

I've been getting a bunch of error messages in which various apps are reported as having "stopped", including core apps like Google Play Services and Contacts, and I wonder if that cache size might either be a cause or an effect.

In what may or may not be related, I've also seen an error message about apps not being able to be installed due to insufficient space--apps far smaller than the 490 MB that I currently have free, a situation that seems similar to that reported here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...cient-space-device-error-keeps-coming-up.html

So...any thoughts or suggestions on what to try in order to maybe free up some space in general, and maybe in particular, what, if anything to do about that cache size?

Shadowhawk

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Aha!! I'd searched here on Android Central, and in various combinations for the web via Google, but I only just happened upon the right combination of words to search and find this little gem:
Clear cache and data of Download Manager - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

The short answer, transcribed to fit our Galaxy S5 (on Lollipop) settings, was to clear the cache under:
Settings > Applications > Application Manager > All > Download Manager

...which, in my case, was sitting at 1.39 GB.

BAM!

1.916 free internal space

James Edmunds

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site

Is the cache under your Download Manager so huge, 1.39GB? :(

Anyway, thanks for your sharing. :)

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Just checked mine, and it was sitting at 12.33mb. I do wonder why yours was so large.
Do you ever clear your device cache? I find myself rebooting and clearing the cache once a week, at least...

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Before you all go checking that and clearing the cache, please check the cache under "settings > storage > cached data" and see what it reports back. Tapping on that will clear ALL of your phone's cache, for all apps (if I am not mistaken) with one press of a button.

Rith Trelin

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Aha!! I'd searched here on Android Central, and in various combinations for the web via Google, but I only just happened upon the right combination of words to search and find this little gem:
Clear cache and data of Download Manager - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

The short answer, transcribed to fit our Galaxy S5 (on Lollipop) settings, was to clear the cache under:

...which, in my case, was sitting at 1.39 GB.

BAM!

1.916 free internal space

were there any side affects? like apps not working or your phone crashing, I'm just curious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol