Custom tones disappears

brett_lg

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a SGS5 on Verizon wireless with the most recent software update from last week.
This morning I changed my phone's battery and my custom ringtones--for Gmail and stock messaging apps--are no longer working and no longer appear as options in the settings for both apps.
The custom ringtone files are still on the phone.
I've tried re adding them, and copying them to different folders; I also tried searching for any of the existing stock sounds but nothing comes up with I search for "Postman" "harp" or "dew drops."
Any thoughts on where I should be moving these?
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you re-added them, did you add them directly to the Ringtones folder? Or did you transfer them from somewhere else on the phone?

I just had an odd experience on my Nexus 5 where I was trying to copy a tone to the Notification folder. The first unsuccessful attempt was when I downloaded the file directly from the web using Chrome, which saves to the Downloads folder. Then I moved that file from the Downloads folder to the Notifications folder using a file manager. But when I went to Settings>Sound>Notifications, that tone didn't show up in the selections.

So then I downloaded the tone to my Chromebook, then used Wi-fi File Explorer to upload that file directly to the Notification folder on my phone. Now I can see it and select it.