05-16-2015 04:18 AM
43 12
tools
    I've had the Galaxy S5 for about 6 months now, running Lollipop. Now it could be the OS, I'm not sure, but I find it very buggy.
    *Apps will just crash and close at random.
    *Constantly getting 'Unfortunately XX has stopped working' messages, for apps I'm not even using at the time.
    *The brightness has just started to dim and brighten at random (Auto is turned off).
    *Fingerprint scanner to unlock, freezes at random so having to turn the phone off and back on again.
    *Constant 'sign in' requests from Gallery despite un-ticking sync boxes etc in settings

I've done numerous factory resets to no avail. I'm sure there's more but I type this in a slightly pi**ed off mood and can't think straight. LOL I've no doubt that everyone on here are Android lovers but what are your thoughts on the S5 / Lollipop? I'm due an upgrade in September, by which time there will most likely be the next version of the iPhone out, so do I ditch the S5 and go back to iPhone? I look forward to your verbal bashings :-)
    04-08-2015 07:58 AM
    I went from being an iPhone user to an android user in October last year and I have to agree with you. I don't know if it's because I've come from iPhone or what but the moment my upgrade becomes avaliable (next October) I'll be switching back. I've not been happy with this phone mainly because of the points you made and what makes it worse is that there is not rush on getting the issues fixed. I've been waiting months and months now for a 5.1 updates to fix these issues but nothing. But I guess in my Samsungs defence there are a few features I like and they aren't avaliable on the iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2015 08:25 AM
    I've had the Galaxy S5 for about 6 months now, running Lollipop. Now it could be the OS, I'm not sure, but I find it very buggy.
    *Apps will just crash and close at random.
    *Constantly getting 'Unfortunately XX has stopped working' messages, for apps I'm not even using at the time.
    *The brightness has just started to dim and brighten at random (Auto is turned off).
    *Fingerprint scanner to unlock, freezes at random so having to turn the phone off and back on again.
    *Constant 'sign in' requests from Gallery despite un-ticking sync boxes etc in settings

I've done numerous factory resets to no avail. I'm sure there's more but I type this in a slightly pi**ed off mood and can't think straight. LOL I've no doubt that everyone on here are Android lovers but what are your thoughts on the S5 / Lollipop? I'm due an upgrade in September, by which time there will most likely be the next version of the iPhone out, so do I ditch the S5 and go back to iPhone? I look forward to your verbal bashings :-)
    I feel for you. Unlike the iPhone, with one handset and one firmware, the Galaxy S5 has 40 different models and around 3,000 different firmwares so far. See, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Depending on your model of handset and the firmware version of Lollipop you are running, your experience of the S5 can range from unmitigated disaster to brilliant. I am on unbranded U.K. firmware with no bloatware and running the very latest OC7 release from Samsung, the third update in 10 weeks to improve performance, and I love it.

However, if you were on one of the heavily carrier branded and modified firmwares, see #1.6 of the previous link, your views may well be different as there is as much similarity between those firmwares and mine, as there is to a horse and a camel. To paraphrase George Orwell's book, Animal Farm...

"All Galaxy S5's are equal... but some are more equal than others!"
    Tritonemusic and jkayakj like this.
    04-08-2015 08:26 AM
    he S5 I have came as my wifes upgrade that she didn't. It came from vodafone but we paid vodafone to have it unlocked so I could use my 3 sim card in it. There's not really any vodafone bloatware on it from what I can see other than one vodafone app. And the homepage of the browser was set to vodafone but I canged that easy enough. After doing factory resets it does put the vodafone app back on though. As the phone is unlocked and theoretically carrier free, is there a way that I can 'unbrand' it?

04-08-2015 09:11 AM
    he S5 I have came as my wifes upgrade that she didn't. It came from vodafone but we paid vodafone to have it unlocked so I could use my 3 sim card in it. There's not really any vodafone bloatware on it from what I can see other than one vodafone app. And the homepage of the browser was set to vodafone but I canged that easy enough. After doing factory resets it does put the vodafone app back on though. As the phone is unlocked and theoretically carrier free, is there a way that I can 'unbrand' it?

In common with most carrier branded international, G900F, models, there is usually very little branding and bloatware, unlike our American cousins!

Flash the very latest stock Samsung unbranded U.K. firmware via Odin, here...

Model SM-G900F
    Model name GALAXY S5
    Country United Kingdom
    Version Android 5.0
    Changelist 4469118
    Build date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:43:56 +0000
    Product code BTU
    PDA G900FXXU1BOC7
    CSC G900FOXA1BOC7

By following the instructions and video contained in the links of #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    barry1964 likes this.
    04-08-2015 09:40 AM
    Ok i was a top poster on the Vodafone eforum and i got banned for speaking out against them to what they did with the S5 and HTC devices
    Firstley you have Bloatware but its hiddern
    Vodafone High jacked to stock sms app with a application called RCS
    They packed this as Understanding Message+ and RCSsaying it was new its not
    RCS has been placed in the Firmware and is running all the time see my warning
    Warning about The RCS/ Vodafone messanger+ app - Vodafone eForum
    I am now a Beta Firmware tester for Samsung and there is ten extra apps three you can see and not disable the rest are in the back ground
    No every message sent from the stock sms application goes Via a company called RCS even if its on another network.
    So de branding is a Must if you follow my Guid on http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4156564
    This will remove all traces of Vodafone i would use firmware 4.4.2 first then let Kies update after
    I have been using the BTU Rom now and the only issues i have had is App Developers not making there apps 5.0 compatable
    04-08-2015 10:08 AM
    Cheers guys, I'll take a look at the debranding options and see how we get on.

04-08-2015 10:42 AM
    I'll have a go at flashing when the kids have gone to bed. Not sure what much of this means but here's the details screenshot from 'about phone'.

Attached Thumbnails Time to go back to iPhone?-screenshot_2015-04-08-17-30-48.jpg   Time to go back to iPhone?-screenshot_2015-04-08-17-30-44.jpg  
    04-08-2015 12:32 PM
    To be honest, that does not tell me an awful lot. The firmware details as per #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide is more helpful.
    04-08-2015 12:48 PM
    Cool, didn't know that little keypad command. Here we go:

Attached Thumbnails Time to go back to iPhone?-screenshot_2015-04-08-18-31-13.jpg  
    04-08-2015 01:31 PM
    That tells me that you are on the one and only, so far, release for Vodafone U.K.. It is the 18th Dec: 2014 build and is being gradually replaced. You should notice a big difference between NL9 and OC7.
    04-08-2015 01:46 PM
    Like I know what that means! :-/ LOL Anyhow, if I follow your tut, that will flash my phone to the better more upto date firmware?

04-08-2015 01:48 PM
    Bugger! Just sat down to do this and I see that odin is Windows only :-( I'm Mac.
    04-08-2015 03:08 PM
    OK, as I'm on Mac, I came across the Heimdall utility but it's throwing up some errors when trying to 'print' device pit file. Looks like I'm stuck with a buggy S5 for now.
    04-09-2015 04:53 AM
    The S5 is a funny beast. With the specs it has it should be amazing but even on stock firmware its not as fast as say the HTC M8 or the LG G3, and even on a custom rom it stutters and is generally buggy. Don't get me wrong the latest OC7 firmware helps a lot, but thats because we were used to the crappiness of the previous releases, still sluggish compared to other phones.
    04-09-2015 11:43 AM
    I wander if the S6 is as buggy? That's my other option come September along with the latest iPhone.

04-09-2015 12:27 PM
    I wander if the S6 is as buggy? That's my other option come September along with the latest iPhone.

the s6 is amazing so far, I've only had it 1 day but it's like night in day over the s5. check the threads, I did a quick analysis of the differences.

Posted from my Monster Galaxy Note 10.1 via Android Central App
    04-09-2015 12:36 PM
    Oooh. Sounds good. Might be the way to go.

04-09-2015 03:14 PM
    OK, managed to blag the use of a windows laptop and flashed. In terms of future updates, is it safe to go ahead and update with anybthat maybe pushed bia kies or OTA?

Attached Thumbnails Time to go back to iPhone?-screenshot_2015-04-15-13-23-21.jpg  
    04-15-2015 08:28 AM
    OK, managed to blag the use of a windows laptop and flashed. In terms of future updates, is it safe to go ahead and update with anybthat maybe pushed bia kies or OTA?

As you have flashed a firmware that does not match your original CSC code for Vodafone, VFR, you will no longer be able to receive updates via Kies or OTA. See the warning in #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide
    04-15-2015 08:34 AM
    Cool, no probs. Presumably one would just update / reflash when there is a new stock release then?

04-15-2015 08:43 AM
    That's right. It means you get the latest and greatest firmwares sometimes, months, before anyone else on carrier branded phones.
    manamaga likes this.
    04-15-2015 08:46 AM
    Liking :-) been through all my apps and thus far no probs or crashes. In fact, I'm not at work today but needed to get some work done. We use Google apps for education at work and I'm a google apps administrator. I downloaded the google admin app this morning to get some user management done but the app would not launch. Kept getting the "unfortunately" message. Tried it again after flashing and it runs like a dream. Thanks for the help and advice! S6 next upgrade I think! :-D

04-15-2015 09:25 AM
    Wroung wrong wrong
    Just because you have flashed a BTU rom only means the CSC is out of sync
    KIES yes Kies will fix this
    Open tools up and it's firmware update and reanitiolisation plug in your phone and it will re download the btu firmware and change the CSC to btu
    I have done six Vodafone S5 phones and you then get updates

04-15-2015 09:29 AM
    @Northen.dj I recall you mentioning something about the messaging and contacts apps and vodafone using their own or something. Also seen you mention this in other threads. Now I have flashed, should I download some different apps for messaging / contacts or just run with the default installed ones?

04-15-2015 10:54 AM
43 12