S5 water resistance good for regular hot tub use?

wayoung

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm moving on from a Q10 (starting to get that. White screen/vertical lines that signals hardware issues, plus other problems) and am trying to decide between S5 and M8. I like the M8 design better, the UI seems a little nicer, and reviews tip it as the slightly better phone (and is cheaper) BUT I have a year round endless pool/hot tub, so the waterproofing on the S5 maakes it appealing.

How good is the waterproofing? Will I have any fears hoping in a 104 degree hot tub with it regularly? If I still should put in in a water proof case that'l tip it right over to the M8 for sure.

Skimmt

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
are you planning to swim with it? I've used my S5 near a hot tub and it fell in by accident, all way fine :) You can't drop it in numerous times and expect it to live though, especially with hot water. But it will save you the few times that you do accidentally drop it in. Whatever you get, get a waterproof case , no phones are built to withstand water, they're only resistant for the occasional accident.

wayoung

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be connected to the spa's bluetooth speakers and it would be sitting on the edge playing music or in my hands as I watch netflix or surf/text. No matter what, it would be exposed to high humidity, high temperature water, and constant splashing.

Skimmt

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I take shower with it regularly and it sits in the steamy bathroom without any problems. Constant splashing may be an issue. Invest in a waterproof case to be sure

mososki

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Was just at Verizon store yesterday. (My S5 battery swelled and split the screen off the phone. They SENT me a replacement under warranty.) The agent told me the waterproofing is not warrantied by Verizon or Samsung. There is a little red and white moisture indicator inside the phone. She said if it indicates water they will not warranty it. On second thought, if you use bromine or chlorine in your hot tub, even the humidity is going to have those chemicals and do a number on the phone. Those are very reactive chemicals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance