Galaxy S5 stolen

harre98

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey, everyone,

My friend bought a Galaxy S5 less than a month ago and it was stolen yesterday. I didn't learn about this until earlier today so I'm posting now. Anyways, she felt ill on the middle of the street while walking with her phone in her hand and sat down on a bench to recover a bit. She left her phone next to her and while she was regaining her composure some guy came up and stole the phone. She knows what the guy looks like and she reported it to the police, but I don't think they're going to find it like that, especially considering that we live in a city with a very high crime rate. Now, I tried to locate the phone by going onto her Google account and searching for it using the device manager, but to no avail. The thief probably turned it off as soon as he stole it. I was, however, able to lock it, and I really don't think he will know how to bypass that. The phone is safe from being sold, for now, but I want to find it. Does anyone know of a way I can track it without the phone being on? She still has the phone's box and its serial number, so could Samsung locate it or something?

Thanks in advance

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Two things that your friend should also do--change her Google password immediately, and report the phone stolen to her carrier. Changing the password will prevent the thief from being able to access her sensitive account information, emails, Google Wallet, etc. Reporting the phone as stolen will put it on a blacklist, so the thief won't be able to use it as a phone.

I'm not sure if Samsung has any other way to locate the phone that Android Device Manager can't already do. It's hard to locate if the phone's not connected to the network. Law enforcement might be able to remotely activate GPS and locate it, but that's really only done for emergencies, not for a stolen phone.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
If she has a Samsung account and it's active on her phone, she can lock it and the thief won't be able to use it even if he factory resets it. Also using Samsung account she can locate her phone and when she's within earshot, she can make it ring at its loudest. Same goes for Google account.... Just log in Google account and type in the search bar "where's my phone" or "find my phone" (don't remember which command works)

Posted via the Android Central App

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Can't offer any more advice besides what's already been posted plus the precaution of locking the phone you already took.
Just hate to hear about this happening to people :(
Android Device Manager can only do so much @ the moment but its a start in the right direction to help stop phone theft.
Sadly I fear that even if phones do become completely unusable for anything web/data\call wise crooks will still be attracted to them just to tear them down and sell the spare parts same as they do with cars :(

I wish you the Very Best of luck in finding her phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz