07-30-2015 05:54 PM
31 12
tools
    I just saw a new update for the Samsung Galaxy S5 in sprint support page. Did anyone get that?

Change log only shows one thing:

•Factory Reset Protection

Brasuka
    05-05-2015 11:33 AM
    Haven't seen it yet, thanks for the heads up. I hope this does more than just what is listed.
    05-05-2015 11:38 AM
    I randomly check out of habit every couple of days for either my S5 on Sprint or my G watch and just got to 373 megabyte update downloading now

Jumped on here to let everyone know but apparently the cats already out of the bag

I'll post my thoughts once it's installed
    hopefully there's something more to it, being 373 megabytes....
    ironass likes this.
    05-05-2015 12:31 PM
    Seems to be just as stable as before
    Software Version is OD3
    I haven't noticed any huge changes, so it could very well be under the hood improvements.
    Take a look at ironass's info on OD3 for a better idea
    05-05-2015 01:21 PM
    I got it around 0200 today by checking for updates for grins. My overheating, battery chewing S5 now seems to have calmed down. But my son's S5 (he checked and got it around 0645 today) stills is heating. Go figure...
    05-05-2015 01:31 PM
    Go into recovery & preform a cache clear on his phone, might help immensely and it can't hurt anything.
    05-05-2015 02:21 PM
    Updating now.
    05-05-2015 03:56 PM
    Just updated. Whatever the update was, it was not a major OS update. Still at android 5.0 .

Hope this update fixes the 'disconnect charger' bar which the last update installed.

Edit: Fully charged and no 'disconnect charger' bar. A simple notification on the notification bar which goes away by itself. Excellent!

Edit: Seems more responsive now. Quicker.
    05-05-2015 07:38 PM
    I got the update but don't see any changes or differences
    05-08-2015 06:34 AM
    I got the update but don't see any changes or differences
    Yep, its pretty much the FDR protection with some other small tweaks under the hood.
    I've been running mine a couple days now & no complaints yet. At the very least it didn't cause any troubles which is always a Great thing
    05-08-2015 08:08 AM
    I was hoping it would fixed the wifi constantly dropping out even after disabling smart network switching - it does not appear to do so
    05-08-2015 12:56 PM
    I was hoping it would fixed the wifi constantly dropping out even after disabling smart network switching - it does not appear to do so
    I don't think so. I am still having issues with wifi dropping
    05-08-2015 04:09 PM
    I just upgraded and before the reboot for activation, it said Do Not Disturb mode on the notification. I just tested my alarm with it switched to mute and it WORKED! I had an audible alarm but no other notices. My LED works with notifications as well. It's back how it was pre-Lollipop. Thanks Sprint!
    05-09-2015 01:47 AM
    This update seems to have fixed some or my issues with the lollipop update ( still have some bugs though).. But overall liking it

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-09-2015 06:30 PM
    Without wishing to rain on Sprint, G900P, owners parade, the latest OD3 update is far from the legendary OD3 update that the international, G900F, users are having pushed to their phones, by Samsung.

Sure, they are both labelled OD3 but that only means the 3rd build of April, 2015 for that particular model. See, #1.9 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

However, since it takes around 6 -> 8 weeks to get a heavily carrier branded, minority variant firmware released, it seemed unlikely that Sprint's OD3 would be based on the OD3 release described in, Lollipop release. Massive update!!!.

Furthermore, from this thread and others on the web, it seems that there were certain issues present in Sprint's OD3 build that are not present in the international OD3 version.

Thanks to some clever detective work by systemofadown1 on here, who tracked down the all important changelist # for this ;latest Sprint release, my suspicions were confirmed.

The Sprint changelist # for their carrier branded OD3 release is #4631307 which includes all the changes, around 300,000 -> 500,000, required for carrier bloatware which is not present on the international OD3 update that has a changelist number of #4664691 which is considerably higher due to the improvements and enhancements added to this build.

Bearing the above in mind, this puts Sprints latest version of Lollipop on a build of around February's OB7 release for the international model, changelist #4209230, which went a long way to correcting a lot of the issues from the initial Lollipop releases and was, IMHO, the first usable build for Lollipop.

For any doubters out there, just look at the changelists in post #1 of Lollipop release. Massive update!!! for the OC4 build for AT&T, #4432708, and the OC4 build for Verizon on changelist #3846539. There is a world of difference between these 2 releases.

The bottom line is that I am afraid that you cannot compare or expect the improvements and enhancements of the international OD3 build but the Sprint build is currently way ahead of all other U.S. and Canadian carriers and should, consequently, offer a much higher customer satisfaction rating.
    05-10-2015 08:36 AM
    Clever detective's work
    Ironass you're too kind Sir ☺ all I did was install an app - he did the heavy work so Please Thank him guys

I'm in total agreement with his findings.
    ironass likes this.
    05-10-2015 08:44 AM
    I just got 2 S5s. One updated to G900PVPU2BOD3. Will the update have any impact on whether or not I can root?

Does rooting (without installing a custom ROM) impact whether or not I'll get future updates?
    05-15-2015 03:25 AM
    sprint's pretty relaxed on rooting, they don't seem to make any huge attempt to block you from doing it
    I believe you'll be okay there.
    when you do root you won't be able to receive further OTA update dates as normal.
    ironass and RazzMaTazz like this.
    05-15-2015 06:21 AM
    Can someone please help me root the latest od3 update. I have had troubles since the first 5.0 update on the galaxy s5. Thank you.

Joe
    05-15-2015 01:24 PM
    Thanks!!!
    sprint's pretty relaxed on rooting, they don't seem to make any huge attempt to block you from doing it
    That's good to know. I guess it matters less to Sprint nowadays since "Hotspot" is included for "free". I can't think of any root-only functionality that would lessen their revenue streams-- except for possibly blocking ads on Sprint apps.

I believe you'll be okay there.
    I'd feel better if somebody could tell me for certain. If the root method doesn't work, that's no big deal. If it bricks my new phone, that's a big deal.

when you do root you won't be able to receive further OTA update dates as normal.
    But if I wanted to unroot, go back to a stock ROM, and then get OTA updates, I could do so, right?
    05-15-2015 01:55 PM
    You Will be fine
    but depending on the root method you might trip the knox counter which will void your warranty and yes you can always flash stock to receive future OTA updates
    05-15-2015 04:02 PM
    Thanks!!!
    That's good to know. I guess it matters less to Sprint nowadays since "Hotspot" is included for "free". I can't think of any root-only functionality that would lessen their revenue streams-- except for possibly blocking ads on Sprint apps.

I'd feel better if somebody could tell me for certain. If the root method doesn't work, that's no big deal. If it bricks my new phone, that's a big deal.

But if I wanted to unroot, go back to a stock ROM, and then get OTA updates, I could do so, right?
    Hot spot isn't included for free, I think it has to be included on your plan. I have a grandfathered plan (plus some of the current plans) which has to have hotspot added on as an add on.
    05-15-2015 04:08 PM
    That's the version I have, G900PVPU2BOD3, rooted and installed custom ROM (BlissPop) and now trying to go back to Stock ROM because my phone can't get the Gear Manager. Have not been able to do so, always get a "FAIL" on Odin.

Any help? Thx.
    05-27-2015 12:21 PM
    same issues. and my restore is not restoring.
    06-02-2015 12:42 AM
    I downloaded the update now my baseband version is G900PVPU2BOD3 is there anyway that you could help me root my phone please
    06-15-2015 12:45 AM
31 12