Hello... I recently just upgraded to the S5 from the S3 for T-Mobile. I had a few questions about the S5 as I just started using it and there are so many things on this phone.

Sometimes while watching videos and such I have a hard time hearing them. The volume is up all the way. It seems like the S5's audio speaker in the back is a little bit quiet. Am I the only one to have this problem? Never had that on my S3.

Also is there a way to turn your sound options on surround sound or anything like that? I guess that relates to my old S3 as there was a way to switch sound from one thing to the other such as surround sound.
    05-16-2015 10:05 AM
    I've never tried it, but you should be able to put it on speaker I suppose.
    The only thing I don't like about the s5 is when making calls the volume does not go high enough and I struggle to hear the other person even in relatively quiet surroundings.
    I'm sure if I root my phone, I could jack the volume up a bit more though
    05-16-2015 10:37 AM
    No no. Not in calls. It's only while watching videos and stuff that I'm having issues.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-16-2015 11:40 AM
    The speaker is in the back. I've had my S5 for more than a year and almost never use the built in speaker.....maybe when using the speakerphone and occasionally when checking something on Facebook or Google +but never when using media (music and video) for long periods of time. I bought both Bluetooth speakers and headset and that is what I use.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    05-16-2015 12:56 PM
    Yes. I find the built in speakers a little on the low side too when listening to music. Other than that I love everything about the s5. Hope you enjoy getting to know your new phone
    05-16-2015 02:04 PM
    The rear facing speaker is probably the dumbest thing you could do to a phone and it's probably the biggest shortcoming in all of Samsung's lineup. I honestly can't believe that they continue to pump out phone after phone with a rear facing speaker.

It is a pretty loud speaker if you are playing music and can set the phone on it's face with the speaker exposed. I listen to music all the time while I'm at my desk and I really have no complaints about the sound, I just don't like the fact that the speaker pushes the sound away from me when I'm watching a movie or talking on speaker phone. I'm getting a little long in the tooth and after years of abusing my ears by exposing them to exceptionally loud environments like night clubs, concerts, and having a kick *** car system during my 20s and 30s, it's definitely more difficult for me to hear anything that isn't being projected directly towards me. As annoying as it is though, it's not enough to deter me from owning a Samsung phone since there are plenty of affordable work arounds like external speakers and headsets.
    05-16-2015 03:01 PM
    Yeah I don't get that either. The speaker on the back of the S3 never gave me sound issues. This was one of the reasons why I wanted the S6, but couldn't see paying 200 more dollars for it. It seemed like the placement of it was better.

05-16-2015 04:10 PM
    Have your gone to Settings.......Accessories......there you can change your HDMI audio output to either Stereo or Surround. Not sure if this will help you out or not but check it out.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-16-2015 04:49 PM
    Nope but just did that! Sound is a tad bit better. Thanks!

Mojave likes this.
    05-16-2015 06:08 PM
    I'm new too to the GS5 and I put my phone in a short, wide drinking glass at my bedside to hold the phone upright so I could see the clock at night. One night I set the alarm for an early morning appointment and I was startled at how loud the alarm was when it when off the next morning. The glass worked as a sound amplification chamber.

That my not be real convenient for watching vids, but maybe you could experiment with the concept and come up with something workable.

Ed
    05-17-2015 11:43 AM
    Well putting it in a glass certainly isn't going to work lol out by itself though I'd be concerned about the alarm being too quiet to wake me up

05-18-2015 07:03 PM