Lollipop, new, even BIGGER, update!!!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
UPDATED 22 JUNE 2015

"There can be no doubt that one area that Samsung excel at is their policy of continual improvement and updates to their firmwares."

I wrote that, here, over a year ago and it still holds true.

A month ago, Samsung issued a massive update to Lollipop with the OD3, (changelist #4664691), firmware which brought users a whole host of under-the-hood fixes and improvements. See, Lollipop release. Massive update!!!
Now they have launched the new OE5, Android 5.0, release for the worldwide, international, model with an even bigger changelist of #4920185 (see post #15)

First to receive this release, its 5th Lollipop update, is the carrier free G900F model for the United Kingdom, CSC code BTU. If Samsung run true to form, they will start rolling out this improved Lollipop to unbranded and lightly branded G900F users in the coming weeks.

Whilst Samsung do not post actual detailed changelogs, they excel at releasing improvements and bugfix updates continually. Past improvements have brought a whole host of fixes, such as Voice unlock, Mute toggle, Screen pinning, Alarm notification in silent mode, Wi-Fi and signal improvements, camera fixes, fully charged notification removed, as well as the all important performance and battery enhancements.

To give you an idea of how this latest update compares to other firmwares, here are the changelist #'s for the U.S. and Canadian carrier branded, minority variants.

T-Mobile (USA) model G900T build OF6 = changelist #5117004*

Cricket model G900AZ build OE2 = changelist #4837836*
Verizon model G900V build OE1= changelist #4782027*

Sprint model G900P build OF6 = changelist #4781399*

C-Spire model G900R7 build OF3 = changelist #4538308*

AT&T model G900A build OF2 = changelist #4432708*

U.S. Cellular model G900R4 build OF3 = changelist #4385544*

Bluegrass Cellular etc: model G900R6 build OB3 = changelist #4173671*

Canada (all models G900W8) build OC1 = changelist #4100894*

(*N.B. The carrier changelists above, include their bloatware. The actual Samsung changelist # they are based on will be much lower)

So, you can see, depending on which carrier you are with and which build they have chosen, your Lollipop firmware could be very out-of-date.

For more information about your model of Galaxy S5, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, which starts with the sentence...

"Think that everyone's Samsung Galaxy S5 is the same as yours...
Think again!" ;)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Another new Lollipop update!!!

That's a good news :) looking forward to update from OD3 to OE2 :D

Now you're just being greedy Nabil Azarou! Besides, there will be another update out in another month. :D

As you've been on it for a couple of weeks, how would you rate the OD3 Lollipop update, out of 10?

throttlehappy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

I just updated my phone with the latest update. I haven't messed with it much but the notification light now works on silent mode.

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Nice, i will look forward again for the unbranded variant.

As of the moment im very happy with OD3, no errors or whatsoever i rate it 9/10.... I gave it a 9 because it lacks other features that vanilla 5.0 offers. But still very thankful!

I hope there are some UI improvements on OE2 like Themes, New display screen mode (Like the ones on S6/note4)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Nice, i will look forward again for the unbranded variant.

Typically, Samsung put out one version of firmware to see how it fairs and then, if suitable, will start using it in new updates, as they did last month with OD3.

As of the moment im very happy with OD3, no errors or whatsoever i rate it 9/10.... I gave it a 9 because it lacks other features that vanilla 5.0 offers. But still very thankful!

That's a bit mean engineeryajeeb! There are lots of features on the S5 that are better than the stock Nexus firmware... the camera for instance.

I hope there are some UI improvements on OE2 like Themes, New display screen mode (Like the ones on S6/note4)

Afraid not. Those are features for the S6/Note 4. You could install a custom launcher like Nova, which has themes.

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Haha yeah I agree with the camera but i think its a point for the touchwiz UI.

I hope touchwiz also upgrades periodically and applies the new features on new phones. (like the Sense UI on HTC)
My htc one m7 has updated with themes support and revamped their widgets to the latest one like the M9 on their latest lolipop update.

I like touchwiz though, its fluid and easy to use specially with new lollipop (OD3). I also have Nova Prime but i prefer using touchwiz for uniformity. I just dont like the big icons.

Cool new features are welcome for this new update. I wonder whats with the big changelog. Im curious if its just all bug fixes. Even a slight update on the touchwiz clock will make me happy!

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Haha yeah I agree with the camera but i think its a point for the touchwiz UI.

I hope touchwiz also upgrades periodically and applies the new features on new phones. (like the Sense UI on HTC)
My htc one m7 has updated with themes support and revamped their widgets to the latest one like the M9 on their latest lolipop update.

I like touchwiz though, its fluid and easy to use specially with new lollipop (OD3). I also have Nova Prime but i prefer using touchwiz for uniformity. I just dont like the big icons.

Cool new features are welcome for this new update. I wonder whats with the big changelog. Im curious if its just all bug fixes. Even a slight update on the touchwiz clock will make me happy!

As I mentioned in post #1, Samsung do not publish actual changelog details for each of the firmware updates they bring out, just the changelist number. This means that unless there are any major changes that jump out at you... you need to use it for awhile to see what has been improved. This was the case with the last update, OD3, when it became apparent after a few days, that the battery life and performance had been enhanced considerably.

I have made a cursory inspection of OE2 but cannot see any new features that leap out at me from the myriad of settings. More likely, as with the last update, this will be under-the-hood tweaks and enhancements.

Nabil Azarou

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site

Now you're just being greedy Nabil Azarou! Besides, there will be another update out in another month. :D

As you've been on it for a couple of weeks, how would you rate the OD3 Lollipop update, out of 10?

I would give it 8.5/10. It's the most stable 5.0 I used on my S5 so far.

Posted via Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I have amended post #1 to reflect an even bigger changelist release from Samsung!!!

The latest features and enhancementson firmware OE3, (build date 9th May), to Lollipop now take it to changelist #4872298. (compare this to, say, Verizon's very old Lollipop firmware on #3846539)

The first to receive this new Lollipop release are the unbranded phones for Sweden and Russia on the following CSC codes...

VDS = Sweden

OXE = Russia.

Both releases have the European language pack which has the English language.

Check both OTA, (Over The Air), and via Samsung's PC suite, Kies, for updates.

For more information about CSC codes and your firmware, see, 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

It certainly looks as though Samsung are keen to push out these new, high changelist, versions of Lollipop with all the features and enhancements.

The Australian models, G900i, are today receiving Lollipop, Android 5.0, for the first time and it is being released on build # OE1, (build date 4th May), on a whopping changelist of #4826466.
(This is a slightly lower changelist than the OE3 release on #4872298 on the, "F", model in post #1)

XSA = Australia

VAU = Australia (Vodafone)

TEL = Australia (Telstra)

OPS = Australia (Optus)

For more information about CSC codes, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Ironass, What is the safe version of OE3 to replace my current UK BTU OD3 firmware? So i can test it out. Thank you

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Amended post #1, yet again, for this new release.

The 5th update for Lollipop for the unbranded G900F model for the United Kingdom has just been released on build #OE5, (build date 15th May), on a new, even higher changelist, #4920185!!!

BTU = United Kingdom

For more information about CSC codes, see #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site

OMG Updating now! Thanks ironass
Screenshot_2015-06-01-16-43-36.jpg

Currently installing now... Display on the changelog says:

"Improved Performance"

Sounds promising! :D

BR34KF4ST

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: New, even bigger, Lollipop update!!!

mine always seem to say'latest update have been installed'

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

mine always seem to say'latest update have been installed'

Posted via the Android Central App

Try reading post #1 again and see which country it has been released for.

You seem unable or unwilling to give your phone's, "Version", details, so I cannot comment any further!

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I can't keep up with all these updates lol.

My USA Sprint Galaxy S5 phone is currently running: Sprint model G900P build OD3 = changelist #4631307; Android version 5.0.

I just ran the updater, nothing new available yet for my phone. Hoping to see it soon!