differences between countries

bfis108137

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
First of all, I just want to say Hi as this is my first post. Secondly, I think this post really could go almost anywhere. Since I am looking at purchasing the s5, I have decided to put it here. It could be moved if there was a better place.

I get free insurance on my phone from my corporate plan which is through Cellcom Israel. It is not a byod but rather I am part of a group. I can use a phone that was not purchased from Cellcom so long as they currently sell or at one point sold my phone. Obviously the s5 fits that. The group manager has told me though that he knows of 3 people that bought cell phones out of the country and all 3 of them were unable to get the phones insured. The reason given by Cellcom was that when they check to see if the phone is on their list their computer says "Hardware Version not compatible". This is translated by me from Hebrew so it's possible there is a difference but the principle is there. I guess my question is, are there different hardware versions from one country to the next? In Israel we only have unlocked phones so they sell only the G900F. Could it be that a G900F bought in the USA as different hardware than that bought in Israel? Part of me thinks that because those people are from Israel and we only have unlocked phones, that those people bought a version that was intended for another carrier like say the G900T and then connected it here hoping to get it insured. Could you guys give me some input? The difference in price is enormous and I will be in the USA in 2 months. An unlocked s5 is literally twice as much here and if you add in taxes it still is 50% more. Thanks.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
First of all, I just want to say Hi as this is my first post. Secondly, I think this post really could go almost anywhere. Since I am looking at purchasing the s5, I have decided to put it here. It could be moved if there was a better place.

I get free insurance on my phone from my corporate plan which is through Cellcom Israel. It is not a byod but rather I am part of a group. I can use a phone that was not purchased from Cellcom so long as they currently sell or at one point sold my phone. Obviously the s5 fits that. The group manager has told me though that he knows of 3 people that bought cell phones out of the country and all 3 of them were unable to get the phones insured. The reason given by Cellcom was that when they check to see if the phone is on their list their computer says "Hardware Version not compatible". This is translated by me from Hebrew so it's possible there is a difference but the principle is there. I guess my question is, are there different hardware versions from one country to the next? In Israel we only have unlocked phones so they sell only the G900F. Could it be that a G900F bought in the USA as different hardware than that bought in Israel? Part of me thinks that because those people are from Israel and we only have unlocked phones, that those people bought a version that was intended for another carrier like say the G900T and then connected it here hoping to get it insured. Could you guys give me some input? The difference in price is enormous and I will be in the USA in 2 months. An unlocked s5 is literally twice as much here and if you add in taxes it still is 50% more. Thanks.

Hello and wecome to Android Central bfis108137!

There are 40 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 as explained in 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Certain models are not compatible with some networks and there are also carrier branded models. Cellcom in Israel uses the worldwide model, G900F, and the Cellcom firmware can be flashed to this model, (and no other), wherever purchased. However, doing so, as per #1.11 of the previous link, could void your warranty and prevent future updates via OTA or the Samsung PC suite, Kies.

Bottom line... If you buy a G900F model you will need to flash either the unbranded firmware for Israel, CSC code ILO, or the Cellcom firmware, CSC code CEL, as these are the only 2 that also have the Hebrew language pack in the firmwares.

Last edited:

bfis108137

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
The warranty is not really an issue because the insurance is as good and most likely better than the warranty. The issue is the their ability to insure it. I guess the bottom line question is, is the hardware on a s5 sm-G900F the same on all of them or is the difference just the firmware? FYI, Cellcom will flash the firmware no matter what as soon as I send it for inspection.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The warranty is not really an issue because the insurance is as good and most likely better than the warranty. The issue is the their ability to insure it. I guess the bottom line question is, is the hardware on a s5 sm-G900F the same on all of them or is the difference just the firmware? FYI, Cellcom will flash the firmware no matter what as soon as I send it for inspection.

The G900F hardware is the same the world over.