Minor update for Verizon S5?

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
So after a few days worth of use on G900VVRU2BOE1, I have noticed two things:

I get a "Google App has stopped" Message every now and again.
I have to turn the volume up when using my car's bluetooth and get the annoying "you could damage your hearing" notice more often now

I have cleared the cache and partition cache. Will continue to update on this matter, but so far, battery life is slightly better.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I waited to update my phone and finally did on Friday (fearing the worst based on past update experiences). I did not do a factory reset before or after. It is too big of a pain to reload and reset all my many apps.

Over the weekend I got MUCH better battery time and feel that the phone stayed cooler than before the update. I've not noticed any other problems. Before the update, I had many app crashes. It seems that they are about the same or slightly better. Time will tell.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
If you are at present, running the latest, U.S. carrier, Verizon OE1 firmware on model G900V you will be unable to downgrade your firmware at all and particularly to Android 4.4.2, to root your phone thanks to Verizon's own new and unique bootloader. See, here.

It would appear that Verizon does not allow you to... refuse an update... downgrade from an update or... want you to root their phones!

WARNING! Verizon are rolling the OE1 update out to customers and unless you are already rooted and have disabled OTA updates, there is no way of stopping it.

"You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile!"
(The Borg)

Thanks Verizon... welcome to, "the land of the free!"

Last edited:

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I heard that the new OE1 minor update is unrootable and I have a question or two. Does Odin let you flash any older stock Roms or custom Roms with OE1? and if you use Odin, can you check the box next to "nand erase all" and delete the ENTIRE OS and then install an older KitKat or Lollipop ROM and root that? I did a nand erase all on my old S4 a few months ago and put an older KitKat ROM with some ".pit" file and rooted it with towelroot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I heard that the new OE1 minor update is unrootable and I have a question or two. Does Odin let you flash any older stock Roms or custom Roms with OE1? and if you use Odin, can you check the box next to "nand erase all" and delete the ENTIRE OS and then install an older KitKat or Lollipop ROM and root that? I did a nand erase all on my old S4 a few months ago and put an older KitKat ROM with some ".pit" file and rooted it with towelroot.

See post #60, above.

OE1 has a new, unique, Verizon own mega locked down bootloader. You cannot downgrade whatsoever, (including, "nand erase all"), thus making it unrootable. If you are already rooted you can carefully upgrade to OE1 and retain root.

[How-To] Update to G900V_OE1 - 5.0 and KeepRoot

This is for competent, rooted, users.

Last edited:

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
See post #60, above.

OE1 has a new, unique, Verizon own mega locked down bootloader. You cannot downgrade whatsoever, (including, "nand erase all"), thus making it unrootable. If you are already rooted you can carefully upgrade to OE1 and retain root.

[How-To] Update to G900V_OE1 - 5.0 and KeepRoot

This is for competent, rooted, users.

Verizon's constant lockdowns are totally unnecessary. Of course it would be nice if Samsung allowed certain usage/features in their phones without the need for root... even more so if carriers such as Verizon did the same

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
So I went through my phone and uninstalled a few panel apps I've had. I was getting paid about $20 a week to have them, but it just wasn't worth it. They were slowing down my phone, making it over heat, draining battery, and surprisingly killing my phone signal as well. After that, my phone feels AMAZING. Like, I get all day battery now, like advertised. It's worth giving up the $960 a year. So if you have any panel apps, take a look at them. They may only be taking up 2% on the battery chart, but it's crazy what 2% is.

Incase anyone does have an extra phone sitting around that they'd like some extra cash a week, the best two apps were Screenwise Trends Panel by Google and Media Insiders Mobile. That'll get you almost $10 a week in Amazon credit!

BlurryEyed

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
So I went through my phone and uninstalled a few panel apps I've had. I was getting paid about $20 a week to have them, but it just wasn't worth it. They were slowing down my phone, making it over heat, draining battery, and surprisingly killing my phone signal as well. After that, my phone feels AMAZING. Like, I get all day battery now, like advertised. It's worth giving up the $960 a year. So if you have any panel apps, take a look at them. They may only be taking up 2% on the battery chart, but it's crazy what 2% is.

Incase anyone does have an extra phone sitting around that they'd like some extra cash a week, the best two apps were Screenwise Trends Panel by Google and Media Insiders Mobile. That'll get you almost $10 a week in Amazon credit!

This sounds ridiculously sketchy. Nothing in life is free.

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
This sounds ridiculously sketchy. Nothing in life is free.
Like I said, you're sacrificing battery life and whatnot for money. It's a panel app, so what they do is monitor what apps you use and pay you in return. I'm not endorsing them, but if I had an extra phone or tablet I don't use anymore, I'd put them on that. I bought a nice new 1080p 40" tv with the amazon credit over a few months. Wrong topic for this anyways. I guess I thought those apps might not be updated for 5.0.

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Who got the newest update for the Verizon Galaxy S5? It's suppose to update us to 5.1.1 but I'm still at 5.0

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
0e62abc4ec85853dc1ff7a7ab1e84be8.jpg

conanbarb

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Neurogadget needs to correct their article. As ironass said, the Verizon S5 is still on Android 5.0 G900VVRU2BOG5. Can't speak for the T-Mobile/AT&T versions though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz