Help please - GS5 won't place a call on the first try - anyone else?

AndrewJF33

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi, new to the forums but I've read through the stuff on here a lot before.

Apologies if there's another thread like this, but I've done a good bit of searching and didn't turn up anything.

I've got an S5 (Verizon) with Lollipop, but this issue has been going on, at least a little, since 4.4. When I try to place a call, the little phone icon in the notification bar pops up for an instant and then goes away, and it never goes to the call screen. It usually just takes 2 tries but, especially when clicking on a favorite to call, it can take 3 or 4.

This is pretty irritating when I'm dialing a number, because once I try to call it, the number disappears and it doesn't appear in the recent call log, so I've got to punch it in again. I tried using a 3rd party phone app but it didn't make much of any difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, new to the forums but I've read through the stuff on here a lot before.

Apologies if there's another thread like this, but I've done a good bit of searching and didn't turn up anything.

I've got an S5 (Verizon) with Lollipop, but this issue has been going on, at least a little, since 4.4. When I try to place a call, the little phone icon in the notification bar pops up for an instant and then goes away, and it never goes to the call screen. It usually just takes 2 tries but, especially when clicking on a favorite to call, it can take 3 or 4.

This is pretty irritating when I'm dialing a number, because once I try to call it, the number disappears and it doesn't appear in the recent call log, so I've got to punch it in again. I tried using a 3rd party phone app but it didn't make much of any difference.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Welcome to Android Central!

Short of doing a factory reset to your phone you can try going in to you settings, applications, all apps, find the phone dialer app and clear the data. This might get rid of your contacts as well so make sure those are backed up to Google or something. Try to make a call and see if that fixes it.