01-03-2016 08:21 AM
73 123
tools
    ON my Galaxy S5 (T-mobile), tried factory reset, didn't help. Even switched to another keyboard and back again...with restarts in between to avail. Though the Google Keyboard seems to work fine with swiping text. Definitely the Samsung Keyboard is not working with swift!

So far the only good thing about the update is, that it seems to have fixed the battery drain to some degree.
    07-02-2015 10:19 PM
    Have you guys gone on the SwiftKey keyboard forums and asked around about the problem?
    07-02-2015 11:43 PM
    Same issue with Swipe. tried to uncheck space after words, exactly the same. once you stop a swipe word, you ned to lift your finger and tap anything then you can swipe again. going to downgrade back to 5.0 after the 2 hour free 5.0 download
    07-05-2015 02:29 PM
    Nothing there. can download external swiftkey keyboard, but it is not the same. How sad that I am so used to this keyboard that I am goint to these lengths to fix it!!
    07-05-2015 02:47 PM
    My fiancee has the S5 and updated and ever since she did, her phone is ridiculously buggy! After reading so many posts here of it being successful, it makes me wonder if we should just go get her to switch out her phone....
    07-06-2015 09:59 AM
    LP update is waste stinking up great device & True fix is pretty simple

Purchase new GS5 battery if your device has been used hard for 12 months.
    A simple Odin Roll back to kitkat NK2 , Root , install Titanium backup disabling bloat, firmware update etc & then drain new battery down give it a full charge..
    My results:
    2hr 40min off charger , Battery at 90% , GPS,LTE etc enabled , screen brightness setting 70% & 40 min screen on time browsing web - emails - texting achieved just like the good old days.

So basically I'm now enjoying excellent battery life & smooth performance had on device purchased 14 months ago.
    Could such good come from GS5 LP or SamApple GS6?
    Heck no!

Oh SamApple removing battery access & SD on GS6 was bad bad call.
    If they play Note 5 that way I will be purchasing Note 4 rolling that back to kitkat with hope for stable LPM future update
    07-06-2015 10:15 PM
    Now my phone is restarting randomly at LEAST five times a day (one time being when I was in the middle of using Waze in a very unfamiliar part of town). Do I give in and factory reset it...?
    07-06-2015 11:04 PM
    Now my phone is restarting randomly at LEAST five times a day (one time being when I was in the middle of using Waze in a very unfamiliar part of town). Do I give in and factory reset it...?
    I found such activity kept occurring after factory reset 2 times a day for me.,,,,I'm sure that would have increased as OS settled in
    Resets were also happening when charging device on first LP update
    07-06-2015 11:29 PM
    So I did a reset anyway last night and not only is my phone running 150% better with way better battery life, but it hasn't done any of the random restarts. I hate that that's the answer, but whatcha gonna do?
    07-07-2015 02:44 PM
    Updated my TMOBILE USA S5 to 5.1.1 and it works better than ever and does not use any more storage than 5.0.

Posted via the Android Central App
    This. Once I saw I was getting 5.1.1 on my T-Mobile GS5, I welcomed it. Running fast and smooth. Feels good to have an up-to-date Android phone again.
    07-07-2015 05:33 PM
    This update is complete crap from Samsung. The phone is barely able to keep any apps open in the background. Open an app leave and come back and the app had to reload. Thank goodness for XDA.
    07-07-2015 11:39 PM
    Actually the Samsung update rocks it's what t-mobile did to it after they got a hold of it that's causing the issues....

In most cases with Verizon and AT&T especially nowadays, a factory data reset is required to get your phone back up and running the way it should be.
    07-08-2015 08:39 AM
    Actually the Samsung update rocks it's what t-mobile did to it after they got a hold of it that's causing the issues....

In most cases with Verizon and AT&T especially nowadays, a factory data reset is required to get your phone back up and running the way it should be.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but you literally have no idea what you are talking about. A factory data reset would not help at all with this problem. I don't know how familiar you are with Android but the phone is supposed to keep apps open in the background but after the update, apps(especially those that use the internet) are being closed almost immediately after leaving then for a different app even though the phone is showing that it has a little over half a gig of free RAM available. That is a Samsung problem not a T-Mobile problem. My wife has an S6 on at&t and it is worse even though it has three gigs of RAM.
    07-08-2015 12:46 PM
    Actually addressing the others concerns
    07-08-2015 03:45 PM
    Actually addressing the others concerns
    It's frustrating because I was sure I was going to get the Note5 but if this is how the new Touchwiz is going to handle RAM going forward I'll have to look elsewhere.
    07-08-2015 05:49 PM
    so after about 3 hours of poking around this morning on both my phone and my wife's phone (both tmo gs5) I have found a few things which helped substantially.

1. Cleared cache partition.
    2. Switched from Stock Keyboard to the SwiftKey Keyboard.
    3. Cleared Cache on all installed applications
    4. Cleared Data on applications that were being exceptionally problematic.
    5. Stop using the built in Browser. Every time I launch it, the whole phone goes dirt slow...
    6. This was the weird one. I disabled Multi Window.

This has helped taking the phone from completely unusable to quite comfortable use. With the Exception of the default browser which after an accidental click returns you to snail pace.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    07-12-2015 10:06 AM
    so after about 3 hours of poking around this morning on both my phone and my wife's phone (both tmo gs5) I have found a few things which helped substantially.

5. Stop using the built in Browser. Every time I launch it, the whole phone goes dirt slow...

This has helped taking the phone from completely unusable to quite comfortable use. With the Exception of the default browser which after an accidental click returns you to snail pace.
    That is the correct path to follow to get your phone back up and running smoothly. After a big update changing to a slightly different OS version especially, it's always recommended to go into recovery and clear the cache. Sometimes even this is not enough & to truly clear out all the old conflicting data a factory data reset is unfortunately nessary.
    People on Verizon and AT&T especially have all kinds of crazy Trouble after the update. AT&T and Verizon heavily tweaked Samsung's version of lollipop before releasing it to the public.
    This is a known fact for those in the know but after a factory data reset the phone is back up and running smoothly as it should be with great battery life
    ironass likes this.
    07-12-2015 11:48 AM
    Whilst Samsung continue to push out the excellent Android 5.0, OE5, firmware to their worldwide unbranded and unbloated models of the Galaxy S5, G900F, on change list #4920185... Compare this to the heavily carrier branded T-Mobile (USA) release on Android 5.1.1, allegedly, with a changelist of only a mere #5117004

Also, the lightly carrier branded models of the G900F which are on Android 5.0 are coming out on changelist #5176309, (see Austria A1 firmware).

Personally, I would have expected a much higher changelist from a firmware that had bypassed 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 and was on 5.1.1 and was also heavily carrier branded.
    07-13-2015 02:57 AM
    So I did a reset anyway last night and not only is my phone running 150% better with way better battery life, but it hasn't done any of the random restarts. I hate that that's the answer, but whatcha gonna do?
    I ended up doing the same thing. It is working beautifully now with the exception of the Swift keyboard. I replaced it for now with the Swype one from the play store. Before the reset my battery would be at 35% or less by noon (6 hours of pure idle time). Now I am at 75-85%. Much better! The reset wasn't as painless as I was expecting. It seems every time I have to reset my phone or computer I lose something that I need. This time the backup worked like a charm. I never understand how it can restore correctly one time and mess up the next.
    07-18-2015 07:19 PM
    Is the new update for the S5 the new touchwiz from the S6...???
    Or is it the same old buggy and laggy touchwiz...???
    07-19-2015 01:26 AM
    Is the new update for the S5 the new touchwiz from the S6...???
    Or is it the same old buggy and laggy touchwiz...???
    Same old buggy laggy tw

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    07-19-2015 01:40 AM
    I doubt you'll see the new TouchWiz on the s5, Samsung wants you to upgrade phones every year.
    07-19-2015 06:27 AM
    One thing it does is make the multitasking much worse on the phone. Apps get closed very quickly in the background. Much worse than before the update
    07-19-2015 12:25 PM

You are correct about the stock browser. Something in the background definitely changed to make the stock browser a no go.
    07-19-2015 12:29 PM
    Do NOT do this update if you use Swype! Makes it worthless after the update and there is currently no fix, even a master reset. I now have a phone that isn't even paid off that won't let me use Swype. Samsung's suggestion? Take it to Best Buy and see what they'd charge to look at it. Grrr!!!
    07-19-2015 02:35 PM
73 123