T-Mobile (USA) Lollipop, "Android 5.1.1", update

cliffclaventoo

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile (USA) Lollipop, Android 5.1.1, update

I updated to 5.1.1 and it screwed up my phone. The battery life is a third now, my hdmi plugin isnt working anymore and the handsfree headset doesn't work anymore. Tmobile is sending me a new phone tomorow.

Posted via the Android Central App

boi2012

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I updated to 5.1.1 and it screwed up my phone. The battery life is a third now, my hdmi plugin isnt working anymore and the handsfree headset doesn't work anymore. Tmobile is sending me a new phone tomorow.

My phone and battery life was screwed up when I first installed the update. As the days progressed, the bugs began to disappear, but the bettery life was bloody awful. I did a factory reset and it didn't seem to help the battery life. But, a couple days after the factory reset, the battery life suddenly bounced back and even got better. I don't know if it is attributed to the factory reset, or as someone else posted, that the OS sometimes settles, after a few days? (I also allowed the battery to drain completely, then removed the battery for a few minutes and then recharged) All the bugs are gone, the battery life is better than 5.0 and the phone runs smoothly.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

My phone and battery life was screwed up when I first installed the update. As the days progressed, the bugs began to disappear, but the bettery life was bloody awful. I did a factory reset and it didn't seem to help the battery life. But, a couple days after the factory reset, the battery life suddenly bounced back and even got better. I don't know if it is attributed to the factory reset, or as someone else posted, that the OS sometimes settles, after a few days? (I also allowed the battery to drain completely, then removed the battery for a few minutes and then recharged) All the bugs are gone, the battery life is better than 5.0 and the phone runs smoothly.

A bit of both... as per #1.6 and post #2 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

I've seen no issues besides the fact that the random resetting of the phone that used to happen before the 5.0 upgrade has started back up again...

koheni

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

ON my Galaxy S5 (T-mobile), tried factory reset, didn't help. Even switched to another keyboard and back again...with restarts in between to avail. Though the Google Keyboard seems to work fine with swiping text. Definitely the Samsung Keyboard is not working with swift!

So far the only good thing about the update is, that it seems to have fixed the battery drain to some degree.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Have you guys gone on the SwiftKey keyboard forums and asked around about the problem?

Candace Youngman

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site

Same issue with Swipe. tried to uncheck space after words, exactly the same. once you stop a swipe word, you ned to lift your finger and tap anything then you can swipe again. going to downgrade back to 5.0 after the 2 hour free 5.0 download :(

Candace Youngman

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site

Nothing there. can download external swiftkey keyboard, but it is not the same. How sad that I am so used to this keyboard that I am goint to these lengths to fix it!!

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

My fiancee has the S5 and updated and ever since she did, her phone is ridiculously buggy! After reading so many posts here of it being successful, it makes me wonder if we should just go get her to switch out her phone....

Philz67

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

LP update is waste stinking up great device & True fix is pretty simple

Purchase new GS5 battery if your device has been used hard for 12 months.
A simple Odin Roll back to kitkat NK2 , Root , install Titanium backup disabling bloat, firmware update etc & then drain new battery down give it a full charge..
My results:
2hr 40min off charger , Battery at 90% , GPS,LTE etc enabled , screen brightness setting 70% & 40 min screen on time browsing web - emails - texting achieved just like the good old days.

So basically I'm now enjoying excellent battery life & smooth performance had on device purchased 14 months ago.
Could such good come from GS5 LP or SamApple GS6?
Heck no!

Oh SamApple removing battery access & SD on GS6 was bad bad call.
If they play Note 5 that way I will be purchasing Note 4 rolling that back to kitkat with hope for stable LPM future update

Last edited:

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Now my phone is restarting randomly at LEAST five times a day (one time being when I was in the middle of using Waze in a very unfamiliar part of town). Do I give in and factory reset it...?

Philz67

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site

Now my phone is restarting randomly at LEAST five times a day (one time being when I was in the middle of using Waze in a very unfamiliar part of town). Do I give in and factory reset it...?
I found such activity kept occurring after factory reset 2 times a day for me.,,,,I'm sure that would have increased as OS settled in
Resets were also happening when charging device on first LP update

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

So I did a reset anyway last night and not only is my phone running 150% better with way better battery life, but it hasn't done any of the random restarts. I hate that that's the answer, but whatcha gonna do?

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Updated my TMOBILE USA S5 to 5.1.1 and it works better than ever and does not use any more storage than 5.0.

This. Once I saw I was getting 5.1.1 on my T-Mobile GS5, I welcomed it. Running fast and smooth. Feels good to have an up-to-date Android phone again.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

This update is complete crap from Samsung. The phone is barely able to keep any apps open in the background. Open an app leave and come back and the app had to reload. Thank goodness for XDA.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Actually the Samsung update rocks it's what t-mobile did to it after they got a hold of it that's causing the issues....

In most cases with Verizon and AT&T especially nowadays, a factory data reset is required to get your phone back up and running the way it should be.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Actually the Samsung update rocks it's what t-mobile did to it after they got a hold of it that's causing the issues....

In most cases with Verizon and AT&T especially nowadays, a factory data reset is required to get your phone back up and running the way it should be.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you literally have no idea what you are talking about. A factory data reset would not help at all with this problem. I don't know how familiar you are with Android but the phone is supposed to keep apps open in the background but after the update, apps(especially those that use the internet) are being closed almost immediately after leaving then for a different app even though the phone is showing that it has a little over half a gig of free RAM available. That is a Samsung problem not a T-Mobile problem. My wife has an S6 on at&t and it is worse even though it has three gigs of RAM.