Corrupted Photos

ZorakXAC

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I was taking some pictures earlier today for a project I have due soon on my Galaxy S5. While taking the pictures, I had the photos save directly to my external SD Card (Samsung 32GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDHC up to 48MB/s). After I finished taking them, I reviewed the pictures I had taken. When I looked at the photos from the grid view, I could see their thumbnails and everything seemed in order. However, once I opened the file, the images were replaced by a black screen with a ! in the center. Is there any way to recover these photos and is my SD card corrupted? I just took a few pictures with the save location being the SD card and everything seems to be in order now.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Turn the phone off and take the SD card out. Mount it in an SD card reader and plug it into a computer. See if the pictures are there. If they are, you can copy them to the hard drive for safety, then delete the files from the SD card, copy them back and see if the phone can read the files.

If not, run PhotoRec on the card. (Instructions at PhotoRec Step By Step.) If the pictures are on the card, even if the file structure of the card is messed up so that not even th computer can find them, PhotoRec will find them and save them where you tell it to. The names won't be available, you'll get generic names, but it'll recover blocks of data that look like files, without regard to what the file structure of the storage device is. (IOW, it'll recover files from an ext4-formatted card on a Windows computer - a jpg file is a jpg file regardless of the type of file structure it's stored on.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams