Why do I see pictures in the Gallery in a different order from the order they were saved in the SD card?

Evgeny47

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Why I see pictures in Gallery on order different from order they saved in SD card

Hello, I am beginner here.
I moved WhatApp's pictures from Device storage to SD card. Since that moment I see those pictures in the Gallery in random order. Pictures on the SD card sorted by name. Have I any way to rearrange pictures order in Gallery? Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 4.4.2

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why I see pictures in Gallery on order different from order they saved in SD card

Hi & Welcome!

Pictures in the default Gallery are sorted by date.

In the Gallery settings, there are options to set up Tag Buddy which enables you to tag each picture. Seems like a lot of work.

Personally, I just make a lot of folders & keep the pics sorted by folder.

I see QuickPic recommended from the play store quite often. It offers more options.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alensw.PicFolder&hl=en

One small word of advice. Keep your photos backed up. You will find several threads where people have had their photos just disappear or become corrupt. I just transfer mine to my pc, but you can sync them to the cloud if you prefer. Best Wishes!

Evgeny47

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why I see pictures in Gallery on order different from order they saved in SD card

Thank you BerryBubbles for your answer and advice, I backed up my photos. I want to remark, that all photos I see now in Gallery (after they had been moved from Gallery to SD card) consist of some blocks. Photos really sorted by date in each block, but there isn't any correlation between blocks. All photos on SD card sorted by name = data. I don't understand still why order was changed.

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes when files are moved from Phone Storage to SD Card, the timestamp (file created date) will change from the time the pictures was taken / received to the time that it was moved / modified. I have seen this happen on some devices. I normally use my computer to transfer files to the SD Card. You can use the following command to keep timestamps: ROBOCOPY c:\src d:\dest /MIR /COPY: DAT /DCOPY:T (no space between : and D in the /COPY switch....it displays a smiley on here :D)
This will copy all files and folders and preserve the date & time stamps and file attributes.

JEANETTEN04

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

I transferred my photos through my phone & they were all timestamp, they aren't in the order how it was supposed to be, is there a way to get it back how it was?

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

You can use the following command to keep timestamps: ROBOCOPY c:\src d:\dest /MIR /COPY: DAT /DCOPY:T (no space between : and D in the /COPY switch....it displays a smiley on here :D)

You can always put it in code brackets ...

Code:
ROBOCOPY c:\src d:\dest /MIR /COPY:DAT /DCOPY:T

NatyBietz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
This happened to me, I moved my pictures from phone storage to the SD card using the phone, not my computer :( and now all my time and date stamps were replaced. Plus screenshots and photos are mixed together now. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I am so upset. I have a baby and now thousands of his photos are mixed together and I no longer know the dates of when they were taken. I really want to undo it. Is there anything I can do? :'(

NatyBietz

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site

Did you find a way to fix it? I have the same problem.

kez_steve

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have a s6 and my photos in gallery used to be stores by date each photo was taken in the TIME folder but now it has changed to each month the photo was taken. is there any way to change it back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krissy2471

Jul 6, 2017
Visit site

Sometimes when files are moved from Phone Storage to SD Card, the timestamp (file created date) will change from the time the pictures was taken / received to the time that it was moved / modified. I have seen this happen on some devices. I normally use my computer to transfer files to the SD Card. You can use the following command to keep timestamps: ROBOCOPY c:\src d:\dest /MIR /COPY: DAT /DCOPY:T (no space between : and D in the /COPY switch....it displays a smiley on here :D)
This will copy all files and folders and preserve the date & time stamps and file attributes.

So what do you do when you haven't moved any pictures and the timestamp still changes by itself?