11-17-2016 03:15 PM
32 12
tools
    Which of the main stream back-up methods does texts and app data? I need to do a factory reset to get the Verizon S5 update apparently since my phone is not finding it. I have media backed up but really hate to lose all the app data and my texts. and it would be nice if all my screen layouts remained
    Thanks
    Verizon S5
    RU2BPB1
    USA
    05-31-2016 08:00 AM
    another question. When I Look at my phone from a PC, I see a list of all kinds of folders. If I copied the entire list of folders (and underlying files of course) and then after resetting the phone, copied them back and overwrote any duplicates would that effectively restore the phone and all apps and data. And here is the important part, would that in effect put the phone back to where it was before the reset and negate that. So then I would ask what folders/files would I need to get back all texts and app data but not wipe out the benefits of the reset
    Thanks for all your help. I have multiple copies of media, google has contacts and photos too so the essentials are done. due to work requirements the phone and SD card are encrypted so a reset wipes out my sd card too so saving stuff to that doesn't help
    05-31-2016 08:29 AM
    another question. When I Look at my phone from a PC, I see a list of all kinds of folders. If I copied the entire list of folders (and underlying files of course) and then after resetting the phone, copied them back and overwrote any duplicates would that effectively restore the phone and all apps and data. And here is the important part, would that in effect put the phone back to where it was before the reset and negate that. So then I would ask what folders/files would I need to get back all texts and app data but not wipe out the benefits of the reset
    Thanks for all your help. I have multiple copies of media, google has contacts and photos too so the essentials are done. due to work requirements the phone and SD card are encrypted so a reset wipes out my sd card too so saving stuff to that doesn't help
    Unless you are rooted, you will not be seeing any of the phone's /system files. Also, if you are moving platforms, say, Lollipop to Marshmallow, the file system setup can change and copying back previous phone related files could bork your phone.
    lgossin likes this.
    05-31-2016 08:46 AM
    Unless you are rooted, you will not be seeing any of the phone's /system files. Also, if you are moving platforms, say, Lollipop to Marshmallow, the file system setup can change and copying back previous phone related files could bork your phone.
    Thank you, this is why I asked question, appreciate your response, so does any back method/system back up application data , text messages etc.
    Not worried about media, contacts or email that still sits on the ordinal servers plus I backed up that stuff to my PC

Verizon S5
    RU2BPB1
    USA
    05-31-2016 10:39 AM
    Update to my last post. I found Feldon's thread on factory reset and followed the instructions on back-up. Primarily I wanted app data and texts since media was all backed up anyway. Smart switch worked fine, neither Titanium or Helium worked. Titanium wanted root access which I don't have (Verizon) and Helium just failed I did enable all the USB debugging and drivers suggested.

the SMS Back seems to have worked fine

Much appreciated all the great stuff you do and others on these threads
    05-31-2016 12:02 PM
    Update to my last post. I found Feldon's thread on factory reset and followed the instructions on back-up. Primarily I wanted app data and texts since media was all backed up anyway. Smart switch worked fine, neither Titanium or Helium worked. Titanium wanted root access which I don't have (Verizon) and Helium just failed I did enable all the USB debugging and drivers suggested.

the SMS Back seems to have worked fine

Much appreciated all the great stuff you do and others on these threads
    ok,thanks !!!
    11-14-2016 08:48 PM
    Helium has a really strange method of connecting to the computer now. It's absurd. And honestly after running it, I didn't find that it had actually done much of anything. Every app on the phone that I installed had no data. I was particularly annoyed with losing everything from Swype Keyboard. Now I'm using their cloud service.
    ironass likes this.
    11-17-2016 03:15 PM
32 12