Do I need to root my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H to install Lollipop rom?

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Do I need to Root my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H to install lollipop rom

Hi,

I had recently bought Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H (Software Version: G900HXXU1ANCJ) but from the second day itself I am facing bootloop issue in the same. It works fine for sometime and then somehow it goes into the bootloop and I tried to hard reset the phone using recovery mode a couple of times and delete the data but again it gives me the same problem after a day or so. I want to flash the rom in the same. Can you please suggest which rom should I flash in the same which would be the best for the same and would appreciate if you can also provide the instructions and the link to download the rom. Also do I need to root my phone to install the rom, I have enabled the USB Debugging from developer option, wouldn't that be suffice. Please advise.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do I need to Root my Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H to install lollipop rom

If it's new, return it.

If not, flash the ROM - the same number you posted, ending in ANCJ) for your country - from SamMobile Firmwares. See [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. It's pretty simple. That ROM is the latest one available - 4.4.2. You'll have to wait for the over the air update to Lollipop, or until SamMobile gets the ROM. (Flashing a ROM wipes out anything you've added to the phone since you got it, so if there's anything you don't want to lose, back it up - see Backing up an Android Device [the phone should always be backed up anyway]. Updating doesn't delete anything, but a clean flash sometimes gives you a working phone, where that same ROM as an update can cause problems.)

And no, rooting before flashing is like washing your hands before they get dirty. You root the ROM, so you'd be rooting a ROM you're about to replace - and the new one won't be rooted. It's just a waste of time. Phones don't have to be rooted to be flashed. Debug mode can be on or off.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Great. Thanks. I can't return the phone since it's bought from a different country, I had asked my friend to buy it for me when he recently visited China. And I don't seem to have the firmware for my country available it's for vietnam, indonesia and some cam. I reside in india so which one which one can I use out of above 3.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a lot for the reply. It's really helpful. I can't return the phone since it bought from a different country, recently my cousin had travelled to China so I asked her to buy it for me. So I am trying to fix the issue on my own, I have checked the firmware for G900HXXU1ANCJ version but it's only available for Vietnam, Indonesia and some CAM version. I am located in India, which version should I install. Please expedite.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

ok. Below are the details about device screen.

Model No: SM-G900H
AP: G900HXXU1ANCJ
CP: G900HXXU1ANCJ
CSC: G900HXXU1ANCJ

Software Version: G900HXXU1ANCJ
Hardware Version: ORG.08
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: G900HXXU1ANCJ
Build Number: ORG.G900HXXU1ANCJ
SE for Android Status: Disabled

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

ok. Below are the details about device screen.

Model No: SM-G900H
AP: G900HXXU1ANCJ
CP: G900HXXU1ANCJ
CSC: G900HXXU1ANCJ

Thank you. You do indeed have the G900H octa core, non 4G/LTE, model of phone with the original KitKat release firmware for Cambodia, NCJ.

Without rooting, you can flash the following stock, non-carrier branded, Samsung firmware for India to your phone by carefully reading and following the instructions and video in #1.11 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

Be advised that flashing any firmware, other than that intended for your phone's original CSC/Product code, Cambodia, will invalidate your warranty and prevent future updates OTA or via Kes. In other words you will need to flash, via Odin, any future Indian updates.

Model SM-G900H
Model name GALAXY S5
Country India
Version Android 5.0
Changelist 77433514
Build date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:30:42 +0000
Product code INU
PDA G900HXXU1BOC3
CSC G900HODD1BOC3

Last edited:

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Great. Thanks a lot for quick reply, so if I flash the above ROM using Odin, will I get the future updates (indian) wia OTA or Kies. Please confirm.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

and if I am going to loose the warranty and wouldn't get the OTA and Kies updates for indian ROM then it's better that I directly install the lollipop rom. So in that case, suggest me the lollipop version which I can install on my phone.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

ok. I tried to flash the rom suggested by you and below is the snapshot it failed. Does usb port make any difference I am using 3.0 available on the front panel of my pc does it need to be 2.0 usb. Please Expedite
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H Flashing Failed Snapshot.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H Download Mode snapshot.jpg

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

Great. Thanks a lot for quick reply, so if I flash the above ROM using Odin, will I get the future updates (indian) wia OTA or Kies. Please confirm.

No. As stated previously.

and if I am going to loose the warranty and wouldn't get the OTA and Kies updates for indian ROM then it's better that I directly install the lollipop rom. So in that case, suggest me the lollipop version which I can install on my phone.

I have given you the Lollipop Android 5.0 version to install and highlighted the fact in my previous post!

ok. I tried to flash the rom suggested by you and below is the snapshot it failed. Does usb port make any difference I am using 3.0 available on the front panel of my pc does it need to be 2.0 usb. Please Expedite
View attachment 183945

View attachment 183946

I see that your phone has been rooted before. Probably 4 times, according to your Knox Security counter.

Try different USB ports but do not connect via a hub. Make sure you use the USB cable that came with the phone. Make sure that you have the Samsung Kies PC suite installed but NOT running as Odin uses the drivers.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

I tried different USB port but it's still shows FAIL also I am using the samsung USB cable. Below is the snapshot.

Samsung USB Cable  Snapshot.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900H Flashing Failed Attempt 2 Snapshot.jpg

If you see in the above snapshot it fails after "NAND Write Start!!" in the Odin there is an option to select "NAND Erase All" should I check that box to fix the FAIL Issue.

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

I tried different USB port but it's still shows FAIL also I am using the samsung USB cable. Below is the snapshot.

View attachment 184053

View attachment 184054

If you see in the above snapshot it fails after "NAND Write Start!!" in the Odin there is an option to select "NAND Erase All" should I check that box to fix the FAIL Issue.

That's odd! My stock Samsung Galaxy S5 USB cable looks like this...

https://www.uk-mobilestore.co.uk/in...a-cable.html?gclid=CJyGw_GotMYCFQfKtAodG2YJaQ

Try uninstalling the Samsung Kies3 PC Suite and the Samsung drivers from your computer. Reboot and then re-download the Samsung Kies3 PC Suite again. Do not have it running when you use Odin.

You can also try re-downloading the Samsung firmware in case you have a corrupt download.

Have you, in the past, played around with flashing a different .PIT file during the many rootings on your phone?

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

WAIT A MINUTE!

Looking at your photo again in your post #10, you have do not appear to have the octa core, non 4G variant, G900H as per your post #6 and thread title, but it would seem that your phone was, originally, the USA model for the carrier, "SPRINT", on model # G900P.

Check out the Product Name in your photo. This explains why you have been getting issues as the phone appears to have been rooted and a customised ROM of some sort, for the G900H model, has been flashed to it, possibly to get it to work on the local networks. This is the second time today that a phone has turned out to be something other than it appears. See, here.

Last edited:

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

ok. As I mentioned in my early post that I got my cousin to buy this phone for me when she recently travelled to China so I believe it's not a new phone but a refurbished one and that the reason it shows a different model in download mode and different on the box. Now post trying to flash the firmware when I am trying to switch on the phone, I get the below message. I thought of saving few bucks and ask my cousin to get it from China at a cheaper price but it turned out to be this faulty phone. It's very painful, that I spent around 308 dollars and it's not even a month and it stopped working. Please suggest some solution now to fix this issue. Really appreciate your help on this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Firmware Upgrade Encoutnered issue snapshot.jpg

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

ok. As I mentioned in my early post that I got my cousin to buy this phone for me when she recently travelled to China so I believe it's not a new phone but a refurbished one and that the reason it shows a different model in download mode and different on the box. Now post trying to flash the firmware when I am trying to switch on the phone, I get the below message. I thought of saving few bucks and ask my cousin to get it from China at a cheaper price but it turned out to be this faulty phone. It's very painful, that I spent around 308 dollars and it's not even a month and it stopped working. Please suggest some solution now to fix this issue. Really appreciate your help on this.

View attachment 184067

DO NOT TRY AND FLASH A STOCK SAMSUNG FIRMWARE TO THIS PHONE!

This phone has been rooted, several times, and adapted, it would seem, to run on the, "H", model firmware. The only thing I can suggest is that you boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the Cache Partition, as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

ok. I tried to enter the Recovery mode by pressing, Volume UP + Power + Home button but it shows me the same Firmware Upgrade Encountered issue screen. Any other way to recover the phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

ok. I tried to enter the Recovery mode by pressing, Volume UP + Power + Home button but it shows me the same Firmware Upgrade Encountered issue screen. Any other way to recover the phone.

A Factory Data Reset would be my next suggestion, as per post #2 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. However, all my suggestions are based on phones running stock Samsung firmware, which yours is not.

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Is there no way I can bring back my phone to life. I did some google search and since my model is G900P, I tried to find the something for the same and below is what I got.

forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51421228&postcount=3, I downloaded SM-G900P (Sprint): CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip file from the aforementioned link and tried to flash the same with Odinv3.07 and below is what I got. It shows past but the phone screen shows. What next, does this give me a chance to do something further and recover my phone completely. Please expedite

RECOVERY BOOTING...
RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING
Set Warranty Bit: recovery

Samsung Galaxy S5 G900P Rooting Screenshot.jpg

Can I now go ahead and download the firmware for G900P from below link and if yes, which one.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G900P/

http://galaxys5root.com/galaxy-s5-unroot/how-to-unroot-galaxy-s5-with-odin-and-stock-firmware/

Last edited:

abhay547

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a lot for all your help. I did it. I used the TWRP open recovery file and flashed it using Odin v1.85 and my phone started working again. It's switched on now and I am charging it. But now that since it has started again, can you please confirm that what should I do in order to make sure everything keeps working fine in future as well. I mean it doesn't go into the boot loop again.

http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/GalaxyS5/TWRP/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-klte.tar

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20