WiFi not working for phone, but working for everything else

kemersonIA

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
How could they know, from where they are, what's in use where you are (wiich is the reason for switching channels, to get off a channel a neighbor is using)?

A: I don't know, they just wanted to try taking it off auto and having it on a single channel.

In the phone? If it's an Android phone, you should. On the router? Open a web browser and connect to 192.168.0.1.

A: Yes this worked going to 192.168.0.1.

That depends on what's happening. The phone isn't seeing the router? It's seeing it, trying to connect, but not going any further? It connects, but stops at "Obtaining an IP address"?

A: The phone "connects" to the WiFi, but when I try to bring up a website it says "The site can't be reached."

Setting the phone to a static IP starting with 192.168.1 would stop it. Other than that, about the only thing that might be causing a problem would be the router using an encryption that the phone can't handle. Go to Wireless (in the top row) and look around for Encryption. Set it to AES, not TKIP or TKIP+AES. (That would require reconnecting all your other devices, because they'll lose the connection.)

A: My boss (IT Director) walked me through a bunch of stuff on the router, and we found that IPv6 was enabled (I disabled it) and the DNS settings were messed up, so he had me hard code a couple DNS servers. That seemed to fix it for awhile. However I tried to change the Wifi password again, and it messed it up all over again. After rebooting the router, I still can "connect" but not get to a website. Same results on my laptop. I also found an unknown device (someone's Galaxy S6) on my list of connected devices. So now I've totally disabled the WiFi completely and am connecting my laptop via ethernet. I have a replacement modem still in the box, I think I'll switch it out and start over. I think this is a big bug with Android and these 5G/2G split networks. I should have stayed with my super slow mo CenturyLink internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milca Solorio

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Is it working now?? I have the same problem and I’ve tried almost everything. This isn’t the second time it’s happening, the first time we had to call Xfinity to fix our router so it was the wifi problem but now it’s happening again. I updated my phone last night and it started to work but now it’s not connecting. It keeps saying incorrect password when I’m typing the correct password. The wifi only works for the other phones in the house but mines. Please reply back to me so I can know how you fixed it. Thanks

M Fakhar E Alam

Oct 17, 2018
Visit site
Okay, I had similar type of problem but it got solved quite easily.
I just increased the bandwidth to 40MHz and now WiFi is working extremely fine on all devices.
Do try this, this option is usually under 'wireless' menu in router settings.

Nebuer

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Im having the same issue. Connects fine on all laptop devices except mobile phones. Reset modem, changed channels, rebooted fibre box, and then it works for a day before everything slows down again. I will give the bandwidth option a go and see if that solves my issue :/

Ellione Solis

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Im having the same issue. Connects fine on all laptop devices except mobile phones. Reset modem, changed channels, rebooted fibre box, and then it works for a day before everything slows down again. I will give the bandwidth option a go and see if that solves my issue :/

i think i solved it.

first , i go to router settings
then
>security settings
>lan ip filter

i just uncheck ''ip filter''

Peekabo

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
I registered here just so I can post this solution, since so many people are facing this issue and this page pops up near the top of related Google searches.

In most cases, connectivity issues on Android are caused by anti-virus app which has modified the phone's settings (frequently long after you installed the app). As such, before anyone tinkers with their internet or router settings, please uninstall any anti-virus/security app first. In most instances, this will immediately solve the problem.

Good luck!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Setting a manual IP address (it's called a static IP) won't work unless you know what you're doing, or you're lucky.

Changing the username (the SSID) only works if your phone connected to another router with that SSID, but different security settings.

And the SIM (not SIMS) card has nothing to do with WiFi,

Not being able to connect to Wifi isn't something easily diagnosed online (and connecting but not getting an internet connection is even more difficult). Read Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems for some ideas. (That doesn't cover everything, but it might cover the problems that some people are having. There are more problems than can be put into a simple "do this" guide.)

Jul 18, 2019
Visit site
I would like to leave my 50 cents.

Several options have been given, and all may work in their respective cases, I just want to add another one that I think may be the issue in some cases.

If you are using a second modem/router as a slave to extend the reach of wifi, and both SSID (the name of the wifi) are different, and you connected to both at some point, then what is happening is simple interference (it's the same wifi with 2 names, and your phone has access to both, kind of confusing, isn't it?)

Just "Forget" one of them and the other one will start connecting like charm.

P.S.

To know if this is your case, it's likely that when you connect to the main modem, everything runs ok, but when you connect to the extensor, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't have internet, but there are no issues with connecting or with the signal strength, it's just not having internet on your phone.

ocala1

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
Just wanted to chime here with a possible solution. Had the same issue where every wifi device in the house could connect to wifi except my android phone and my daughters apple phone. Turns out on the parental control tab of the modem page there was an option to pause a device. Some how both phones were paused. Nobody did anything physically it just happened on its own. After disabling that option both phones can now connect successfully. So check your modem page under parental controls and see if that is the case.
Good luck. I know how nerve racking the situation can be.

lcgoldman

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

Several options have been given, and all may work in their respective cases, I just want to add another one that I think may be the issue in some cases.

If you are using a second modem/router as a slave to extend the reach of wifi, and both SSID (the name of the wifi) are different, and you connected to both at some point, then what is happening is simple interference (it's the same wifi with 2 names, and your phone has access to both, kind of confusing, isn't it?)

P.S.

To know if this is your case, it's likely that when you connect to the main modem, everything runs ok, but when you connect to the extensor, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't have internet, but there are no issues with connecting or with the signal strength, it's just not having internet on your phone.

You're brilliant. That's a million dollar answer. I was baffled and so frustrated until you just saved me from throwing my phone out the window.

Why does Networking have to be so complicated? And I have 25 years experience as an IT Project Management.

kstaskmaster

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site

PERFECTO!! This did work "like a charm"! Thank you for your "50 cents"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy