Chromecast video

manamaga

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a video of my daughter performing at her first theatre show. The video is in my google drive and I can view it on my Galaxy S5 (Lollipop) via the google photos app or via the google drive app. I've even downloaded it to my device and saved to the Gallery. But how come I cant chromecast it to my large TV? Is this simply a "no can do yet" thing with google chromecast?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, looking around, it can be done. I guess it isn't there out of the box since Google didn't really see local sharing as one of its main goals here... it was meant to be more of an online streaming tool to turn a 'dumb' TV into a smart one.

Of course, there are several options from the looks of things. Apps like Plex, LocalCast (look on the Play Store)... Plex being a bit more fancy than Localcast. And there's a plugin for the popular file manager ES File Explorer as well.

You are correct, though, it would be awesome if you could cast videos directly from the Google Photos app.... a video that you've stored on Google Photos is, for all intents and purposes, a private youtube video, so its just a matter of connecting the dots.